Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Calling Red Beard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Replacing all bushings in my six shift linkage (2 out of 4 are still there, none in firewall or tunnel). My only experience is with 4's and side shift conversion in a six. It appears I must remove roll pin at tranny end of rear rod to remove the bracket so as to install new plastic (right?).
Can I reuse the pin? Probably not. Remember reading somewhere that not just any old hardware store roll pin will do. Where to get the replacement? Porsche NA?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Aug 29 2003, 02:48 PM)
It appears I must remove roll pin at tranny end of rear rod to remove the bracket so as to install new plastic (right?).

Can I reuse the pin? Probably not. Remember reading somewhere that not just any old hardware store roll pin will do. Where to get the replacement?

yes, remove the roll pin.

when i did mine, i put the old pin back in and it still had plenty of spring. it's been there for 20 years.
(of course, i did that fix the morning the car was almost totaled at Riverside and hasn't run since, but that's not really the point, is it ...)

i was at the hardware store this past week when a guy was looking for a roll pin. not only did they not have them, the orange-apron helper guy had never heard of them. maybe you have a better class of hardware store where you live...
krk
My experience was similar to Rich's. Took it out with the right size drift, and it was still "spunky" enough to put back.

ymmv.

kim.
ein 6er
i am still on the quest for the triple rolled, rolll pins.

i called pp about this a while back. they tried to order it from the father land and the pin, specific to the 6 linkage, is NLA.

the roll pin that is in the pedal cluster looks to be the same size pin. weltmeister has them in their pedal cluster bushing kits.

i recently talked to pp and asked about the pin from the pedal cluster. they suggested i should try dan's parts 609-298-2277, (or maybe 2217, i can't read my own writing). they said he has lots of NOS parts. i haven't called yet. anybody know dan's?

if you find a source PLEASE share it!! i want to replace that rear bushing.
Brad Roberts
I have a lot of those Weltmeister roll pins. I dont use them when rebuidling the pedal assmeblies. They are too small for the bore and end up breaking. I know which roll pin your referring to on the linkage.. I'll see if I can take a look at one this weekend and match it up.

I'm betting the problem everyone is having... the roll pins are metric.

B
Red-Beard
Pelican doesn't have them in the catalog, but they can get them for about $1.

Do not use just a C pin, as they are not strong enough. If the rool pin looks OK, re-use it. And your question was already answered, but yes, just punch the pin out.

The other place for play in the linkage is just inside the tail cover, under the small removable plate.

James
Porsche Rescue
Thanks to all. Guess first option is try to remove it carefully.

James, what will I find under the plate? It appears to be leaking pretty good but I suppose a single gasket is not available.
Red-Beard
That one isn't, but I can send you one, as the gasket set comes with eveyrthing and side shifter's don't use that one.

You can also buy gasket material from any FLAPS and trace the old gasket on there and cut with an exacto knife.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.