Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yokohoma A032Rs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
For a 2.0L 914 folks that have used this tire, have you used soft or hard compound?
AX/TT
What temps did you run your events in. Ambient temps...high (85+) or low (<70)? smile.gif
VegasRacer
The Soft compound is for Auto-X. You would wear them out in one weekend at the track. If you plan to do both AX and DE/TT events, get the Harder track rubber. It will not be quite as stickey as the soft for a parking lot romp, but they will last a lot longer lapping a road course.
Trekkor
I ran the softs on my 2.0 FOUR last year. A/X only.

They lasted pretty well. A/X is so hard on tires.
I would expect the the '32's to last for several events.

It is my opinion that one a/x of 10 runs or so is harder on a tire than a 30 minute track session.
This is based on the wear of my 710's which have many track hours ( 12? ) on them and still look and stick great.

I'm *positive* they would be throwing sparks after 720 1 minute a/x runs. smile.gif

I think the Yokohama website recommends the softs or hard for cars by weight.

Are the 32's discontinued?

KT
Root_Werks
I thought most tires used the "R" for Axing and "HR" Hard R for laping.

Ax tires would be a treadwear around 40.
Lap tires would be around 80.
DanT
Sorry Dan (root works)
Both tires have a 60 wear rating and identical traction (A) and temperature (A) ratings.
There is some slight difference in the compound of the tread that yields slightly different characteristics without changing any of the ratings.
When these tires first came out back in the mid '90s there were no hard or soft....just one tire.
That is why I asked the question...When I used these tires in the late '90s I used them on my 914-6 with a 2.7RS motor and later in my 944turbo with cup suspension and ~300HP. during that time there was only one compound.
Up until about 6 months ago you could also get the A032Rs in a medium (intermediate) compound that also had the same rating numbers.
dinomium
The 911 guys that I have been around use the yoks as rains for club racing... and Yes they are discontinued, so if you want them should take advantage of the sale price at the Tire Rack!
Downunderman
Get the softs. They will go off before you wear them out.
Root_Werks
Cool discussion. I didn't know the tires changed so much that recently. Couple of guys I know that have more or less dedicated track cars talked to me this last summer about the "R" and "HR" compound tires. Cool stuff!
dinomium
Are you ax guy running your tires at full tread or having them shaved? Also are they heat cycled?
grantsfo
I run the Softs on my four lug Fuchs. Great tire for me to drive back and forth to AX on. While they dont offer the grip of a Hoosier AX tire they are very predictable. Note, for AX they are great in the first few corners (cold) compared to my Hoosiers, once the Hoosiers heat up then its game over. They are decent on damp cold surfaces as well.

No track time on these. However I think they handle heat well from my observations.
Trekkor
I have *always* got my best times during the fun runs at the end of the day after the timed runs. dry.gif

The last time I ran my Yoks was after a full day on the Hoosiers. I got within half a second. ohmy.gif

After that fun run session they were corded.

We run them full tread...I heat cycle my own.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.