Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tube Frame V8 914? Any updates on this car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mueller
Been chatting with a fellow 914 owner about tube frame 914's....I really dig this car so far and would like to know if anyone has more information on it smile.gif

mrdezyne
drooley.gif Shor is purty, even naked.....
bondo
Looks to me like an LS1 (or derivative), if that helps.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 20 2006, 12:41 PM)
Looks to me like an LS1 (or derivative), if that helps.

and a g50 trans
Root_Werks
The 914 I plan on doing next will be a V8 (Rover engine) with some tube framing in it. I plan on cutting out parts of the longs and replacing them with tube tied into the suspension points ect. I am hoping to loose a little wieght and simplify the car. Or, it's just something to do. screwy.gif laugh.gif huh.gif
DougC
Is that 4 master cylinders I see?

Root - will that be a street car, would an all glass car with tight suspension (presumably) live on the street without eventually breaking to pieces?

Doug C
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (DougC @ Jan 20 2006, 01:03 PM)

Root - will that be a street car, would an all glass car with tight suspension (presumably) live on the street without eventually breaking to pieces?

Doug C

3 mc/s

guessing a bias bar setup for the brakes, and a hydro-clutch.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (DougC @ Jan 20 2006, 12:03 PM)

Doug C

Street car with a heater even. The only reason I will be putting tubes in it is because of rust. So I will pull out all the engine shelf tin and beef everything up. It's not a virgin 914 so it's a perfect subject to cut up, F'up even. If I do screw it up, it will become a parts car. But I think it will turn out really nice. I have 2 914-6 projects to finish up first before I can start on my V8 though.
hmeeder
Very nice, but not a hell of a lot of 914 left! (windshield frame, targa bar ,the rear swing arms, that's pretty much it!)

That's a wolf in 914 clothing (or will be when the panels are Dzus'ed back on.)

Still, a mighty sweet machine and a hell of a lot of really nice work in it. drooley.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (hmeeder @ Jan 20 2006, 02:49 PM)
Very nice, but not a hell of a lot of 914 left! (windshield frame, targa bar ,the rear swing arms, that's pretty much it!)

Still, a mighty sweet machine and a hell of a lot of really nice work in it. drooley.gif

my favorite part of it is that it looks like he'll only have to run like 2" or 3" flares to clear those monster tires....stock chassis 914's start to look goofy at a certain point when real, real wide rubber is used and super wide flares are needed to cover them up....
rick 918-S
Holy Crap! ohmy.gif Do you have any idea how fast that car will be? ohmy.gif
seanery
Now that's a V8 car I'd LOVE to have!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

*so is the Alien* cool_shades.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 20 2006, 01:57 PM)
Now that's a V8 car I'd LOVE to have!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

*so is the Alien* cool_shades.gif

Dude, that's like my car hiding the bulk under a tuxedo, wink.gif and that car hanging out in a speedo at muscle beach! huh.gif Where's the body builder/kick sand in your face smiley!
bd1308
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 20 2006, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 20 2006, 01:57 PM)
Now that's a V8 car I'd LOVE to have!!!!  :trophy:  :trophy:

*so is the Alien*  :shades:

Dude, that's like my car hiding the bulk under a tuxedo, wink.gif and that car hanging out in a speedo at muscle beach! huh.gif Where's the body builder/kick sand in your face smiley!

you mean the :roundhousekicktotheface: smiley?

b
neo914-6
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 20 2006, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (hmeeder @ Jan 20 2006, 02:49 PM)

my favorite part of it is that it looks like he'll only have to run like 2" or 3" flares to clear those monster tires....stock chassis 914's start to look goofy at a certain point when real, real wide rubber is used and super wide flares are needed to cover them up....

Mike,

Is that Hatfields car?

You saying my car looks goofy? poke.gif
grantsfo
I even like that one! Wow!
Jeroen
sweet, sweet, sweet...

964 or 993 front suspension
and looks like the rear has a different susp. too

Mike, can you get any more pics???
Andyrew
Oh I didnt tell you guys? Thats my other project...

seriously.. thats my goal....

Tube frame v8 race car in street clothing.

Andrew
jimkelly
I guess that is leaving enough to register it as a 914 - jusy barely?

I loooooooooooooooooooooooooove that thing and guess that is all that is need to slap a sherida body kit on to complete it?

Jim
snflupigus
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 20 2006, 02:55 PM)

I think the pics are deceiving.... if you look at the pics really close again I think he's going to need 5 inches of flare out back and 2-4 at front.

but if anyone has more pics of this that would be awesome.

what makes it so hard to build stuff like this. I've never tried... but i could design stuff like this in virtual all day long... is it just having the tools and time?
Jeroen
QUOTE (snflupigus @ Jan 22 2006, 04:44 PM)
what makes it so hard to build stuff like this

fabbing suspension pick up points out of nothing and getting all the geometry right
snflupigus
a good jig right? having an attention to detail?

idk, i've just always thought that if i had the tools and time i could build something like this.
Brett W
I love this kinda of stuff but if you have never built one, you would be amazed at the little stuff that really makes this job a bitch. I doubt I would even attempt it without a frame jig.
Looks like he has a nice chassis. I hope he connected the front and rear sections with something other than just the stock floor bar and rocker boxes.
byndbad914
friend just sent me this link and so I had to check it out. I am going to start my 914 tube/street car maybe as early as this Saturday. I am going to do a similar setup by leaving the longs in so what is left of the body has some rigidity to hang stock doors with windows, etc. And I am going to run a stock dash and steering column. Everything else will be different.

I just wonder how the heck the front hood is going to fit with the baja-style upper strut mounts. They're gonna have to stick out a few inches, which is a bit too screwy.gif looking for my taste. And those rear drop bars from the interior back, that is going to take some long slots in the body work to get the trunk lid on/off. I am suspecting he is using something like a Sheridan wide body kit that has the whole rear piece as one "chunk", but you still have to get it back on and maybe back off.

That said, I really like the looks of the suspension change. Hard to tell from the pix exactly what, but definitely not 914 stuff. I am running RSR front struts right now, and will make tubular lower arms and run stock but reinforced trailing arms on the rear. Cool car by any means and very similar to what my intentions are. I am also moving the firewall way forward to make room for a dry sump (I am guessing he is going d-sump from the Moroso tank on the shelf). He had to make some serious room for that G50/52 tailcone mounting too -- that trans is LONG. Right now, my 930 shifting to 2nd or 4th, you can every once in a while hear the tail piece just nick the inner bumper area of my car (if I yank 2nd), so that is already tight.

rocking nana.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 20 2006, 05:40 PM)
sweet, sweet, sweet...

964 or 993 front suspension
and looks like the rear has a different susp. too

Mike, can you get any more pics???

no other pics..... wacko.gif these had been posted here before, almost 2 years ago I think....

"someone" needs to run the CA plate from the Toyota truck and ask some questions biggrin.gif

Jeroen
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Jan 23 2006, 11:57 PM)
I really like the looks of the suspension change. Hard to tell from the pix exactly what, but definitely not 914 stuff

Welcome to the club!

The front suspension is most definately 964/993
(aluminium a-arms, coilover struts and monoball camberplates)

That's pretty cool, cause all the "big" brake conversions fit pretty much out of the box as well as the late offset wheels

Hard to see what is used/done in the rear, but surely no stock 914 arms
Mueller
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 23 2006, 04:06 PM)
The front suspension is most definately 964/993
(aluminium a-arms, coilover struts and monoball camberplates)

That's pretty cool, cause all the "big" brake conversions fit pretty much out of the box as well as the late offset wheels

another good part of the 964/993 and newer suspensions is that they can be bought pretty darn cheap since there is no real market for them......

there was someone back East giving away a front 993 suspension a while back but I cannot find the info and whether or not someone picked it up....

it looks like this car is running an a-arm type rear suspension, again possibly from a 993 or even a 'vette????, I'd toss the stock trailing arm suspension in the trash

Jeroen
how about a custom balljoint so you can mount a late style coilover strut to a stock a-arm?

I'm not sure if the distance between the balljoints on a 964/993 and earlier 911s is equal though to get the correct camber

hmmm... prolly need different tie-rods too...
Mueller
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 23 2006, 04:25 PM)
how about a custom balljoint so you can mount a late style coilover strut to a stock a-arm?

I'm not sure if the distance between the balljoints on a 964/993 and earlier 911s is equal though to get the correct camber

hmmm... prolly need different tie-rods too...

I'd just use the newer front suspension, it should have a much more improved scrub radius also with the wider track it'll eliminate running a spacer which most people tend to run......one of these days smash.gif welder.gif
BIGKAT_83
This one belongs to a freind, I've been trying to get him to post here. V8 conversion car

user posted image

smile.gif Bob
Jeroen
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 24 2006, 12:29 AM)
I'd just use the newer front suspension

I meant using the late struts on a stock tub
using the full suspension (a-arms and x-member) would require a lot of fabbing...

Cool looking project Bob!
Can you post more pics?
Brett W
You could pretty easily use the stock rear suspension from a later car. They bolt in at four points so it would be a pretty easy deal to locate the four mounting points and bolt it right in.

I have thought hard about adapting later model uprights for use on the rear. Then fab your own arms and use custom axles.
byndbad914
the car Bob posted I am pretty sure is Tim's at Ron Davis Radiators. I have spoken to him in the past and he was pretty cool. They used to have about a dozen pix on the Ron Davis website, but I can't find the link from the gallery now and I don't remember the exact website address to them. Anyway, dink around the davis website and maybe you can find the link...then let the rest of us know biggrin.gif
porschev8
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Jan 23 2006, 08:50 PM)
the car Bob posted I am pretty sure is Tim's at Ron Davis Radiators.  I have spoken to him in the past and he was pretty cool.  They used to have about a dozen pix on the Ron Davis website, but I can't find the link from the gallery now and I don't remember the exact website address to them.  Anyway, dink around the davis website and maybe you can find the link...then let the rest of us know  :D

Yup that's mine. I'm not exactly proud of some of the work but that was the first time I'd ever built anything out of tubing and I made everything from scratch. To make matters worse I had to pull all of my dimensions from bent up wreckage and then try to figure out what the correct dimensions were. I'll do better next time! -Tim

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
BIGKAT_83
Glad to see you made it here............. welcome.png

Bob
porschev8
QUOTE (Brett W @ Jan 22 2006, 10:56 AM)
I love this kinda of stuff but if you have never built one, you would be amazed at the little stuff that really makes this job a bitch.  I doubt I would even attempt it without a frame jig.
Looks like he has a nice chassis.  I hope he connected the front and rear sections with something other than just the stock floor bar and rocker boxes.

Oh you ain't kidding! Getting all the pickup points in the right places was no easy task! I never realized how close the top of the strut sits to the underside of the hood! There is absolutely no room for error.
-Tim
porschev8
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 30 2006, 06:42 PM)
Glad to see you made it here.............  :wttc:

Bob

Thanks Bob!
Jeroen
QUOTE (porschev8 @ Jan 31 2006, 03:36 AM)
I'm not exactly proud of some of the work but that was the first time I'd ever built anything out of tubing

I don't see anything to be ashamed of
Your "first time" looks a lot better than mine
the car looks sweet clap56.gif
914Timo
I don't see anything to be ashamed of
Your "first time" looks a lot better than mine

agree.gif Very nice work, Tim. smiley_notworthy.gif welcome.png

We need more this kind of projects here. If you have more pics, please, post them all here.

Very nice work and VERY nice 914 drooley.gif
porschev8
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Hybrid_Teener
hmm, reminds me of a GTM
turbo914v8
Ok welcome the board.......
Ok you're work is great......
Ok you're car looks great...
Ok you're car looks better than my and I am jelious wink.gif biggrin.gif
Can we see more pictures of the interior cage?
porschev8
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Jan 31 2006, 06:45 AM)

Can we see more pictures of the interior cage?

Here you go!

user posted image
porschev8
The tubing runs throughout the car bumper to bumper and the v8 engine is mounted to it rather than the stock 914 engine mounts
URY914
If you cut away the entire front end as the picture shows, how did you locate the new sub-frame with the front suspension relative to the rest of the car? Did you set up a base line for layout?

Paul
turbo914v8
Wow, nice work wub.gif . You've got me thinking I can build my own cage as well smash.gif welder.gif . What did you use as a pipe bender? What gauge pipe did you use? What method of welding did you use, Mig, Tig?????
turbo914v8
What line of work are you in again confused24.gif
porschev8
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 31 2006, 11:17 AM)
If you cut away the entire front end as the picture shows, how did you locate the new sub-frame with the front suspension relative to the rest of the car? Did you set up a base line for layout?

Paul

After I had the new front clip tacked together I just set it up on jack stands and when I got it in the correct position (lots of measuring!) I started connecting it to the tub with 1.75" .125 mild steel tubing. The front clip is welded and bolted to the tub in several spots and it also connects to the side impact bars.
This gave me a good excuse to purchase a Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder and a JD2 Tubing bender!
porschev8
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Jan 31 2006, 12:43 PM)

I'm in sales. This is just a hobby.
turbo914v8
QUOTE (porschev8 @ Jan 31 2006, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Jan 31 2006, 12:43 PM)

I'm in sales. This is just a hobby.

Well you might want to re-think that. Your work it really inspiring
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.