Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New cam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
The timing gear is riveted on. Can I use bolts to attach it to the new cam shaft or does it have to be riveted back on?
SLITS
When a cam grinder (Web Cam) regrinds a profile, they remove the rivits and supply hex headed machine screws. Whether the cam is tapped for the screws or they use nuts behind, I am not sure..it would be a clearance issue if anything.
Joe Ricard
The Machine screws work fine last along time.
If tyou have trouble with lining up the holes use the picture below

Demick
You can reuse the old cam gear, but you have to drill out the old rivets to remove it from the old cam. Then you need to have the mounting holes in the old cam gear counterbored so that the bolt heads will be recessed. If you don't, the bolt heads will hit the oil pump.

New cam gears are only $30, so do yourself a favor and just buy a new one. It will come counterbored, so you just bolt it on and go.

Demick
SLITS
laugh.gif Now that was cruel and inhuman........
Joe Ricard
Not my fault Miles made me do it.
I still got the "real pictures" you send Ron in case I ever screw it up again.
DNHunt
Man Joe. Picasso's "914 cam and Gear" 1969. I never did understand his art.

The cap screws may need the heads reduced a bit depending on the oil pump. It's certainly worth the time to mock up in the case halves with the oil pump. It's nice to see that you have plenty of clearance and it only takes a couple of minutes.

Dave
dinomium
agree.gif cuz Dave knows! He has been there!
I love that picture! Cracks me up every time!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.