Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Design Inner Rockers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkos
I didn't realize when I ordered the panels that they are galvanized. They look like they are coated with something and the catalog that came with them says they are galvanized...so I guess they're galvanized. What I am wondering is...does that mean I don't need to paint the inside of the panels before I weld them in? If not, what should I coat them with? POR15? Also, I've heard that fumes from welding galvanized metal will make you sick. I assume I should clean that coating off of the areas I am going to weld? How much of the coating should I remove?

ps:
After a rocky start (several days of leaving messages on RDs answering machine with no response) I just ordered the panels from their website. Bill called me a few days later, apologized for the delay and filled my order. If it weren't for a typo on my order form (my fault) I would have received the parts a few day later. As it was the whole transaction only took less than 2 weeks from the time I ordered to the time it showed up on my door step. It's a little frustrating trying to get hold of him, but once you do he's very pleasant and helpful and the parts look great.
mihai914
When I did mine, I simply coated the inside of the panels with some weld-through (zinc based) primer. You could put some por15 but not on the seams that will be welded of course. When the replacement panels will be rusted, you can bet that the original non galvanized panels will be long gone!

I didn't have any issue with vapors, yes I did the work outside, so I guess my best recommendations is to ventilate the area where you will be doing the welding. It's not like you will be getting clouds of smoke.

RD is hard to get a hold of I agree, but it's a small home type business. Usually if you commit to an order Bill will reply faster.

HTH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.