Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT German8ter buildup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
A couple of you were asking about my 1985 VW DoubleCab project buildup, so some pics:
Before
Maltese Falcon
Before
this is a VW Hell Hole, looking thru the pick up bed hatch
Maltese Falcon
Getting cleaned up and rear valence cutouts for H20 pump, alternator, and harmonic damper
Maltese Falcon
SB Chev. 5.7 (.30 over) lots of aftermarket go fast stuff, it may get a smaller cam--but it's not built for economy right now biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
5.7 and G50 transaxle. The outer flywheel bolts supplied by Kennedy had heads that were just a tad too tall, and these would peg against the bellhousing. Found out just before installing the drivetrain, milled the bolt heads slightly and perfecto.
Some DIY kits are not sorted out sad.gif
Maltese Falcon
The install was strange, cherry picker and floor jack. This is where the engine hatch is real handy !
Maltese Falcon
...nuther
Maltese Falcon
Interesting H20 system uses a basic expansion tank( T304SS) located in the upper R front grille. This is the high point of the coolant system. Initial coolant fill and radiator cap is now in the glove box rolleyes.gif A simple overflow bottle sits in the grille, and heat/ cool osmosis continually bleeds the system . VW never got this right, and requires system bleeding.
dinomium
Ok, now when I insert this in, you may feel some slight discomfort...
MOoooooooooooooooon River!

You are a sick little monky! Keep up the good work!
Maltese Falcon
Interior during cleanup, PO had a pet Husky in there...so the seats were all removed and redone.
Maltese Falcon
rear w/o bumper...looks functional / and definitely keep all fingers away from moving parts. Laser cut little chevy bowties into motor mount !
Maltese Falcon
...nuther rear pic
Maltese Falcon
with the German8ter tonneau cover
Maltese Falcon
Front elevation, it's a Super Sport
Maltese Falcon
last one, with friends at a local get together.
Porsche content: G50 trans, 930 CVs/ axles, 915 shift console, misc. nik naks biggrin.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Jan 21 2006, 12:55 AM)
SB Chev. 5.7 (.30 over) lots of aftermarket go fast stuff, it may get a smaller cam--but it's not built for economy right now biggrin.gif

That is so clean it looks animated..Very nice.... smilie_pokal.gif
bondo
Ahh, so it's the original LT1 from the 60s, not the Gen II Lt1 from the mid 90s. I was wondering what you had done about the cam driven water pump, but obviously you didn't have one to deal with. smile.gif

Cool stuff, that must be a blast to drive. Any plans to convert it to a syncro? I'd hate to see what a 3 output trans would cost that could handle a V8. smile.gif
BKLA
Very Cool! That would be a great kart transporter!

My Question: Where are the wheelie bars???? biggrin.gif
messix
cool converstion. will it wheelie?
redshift
blink.gif

hahahahahahahah HO MY GAWD! That rocks Marty-O! (except that you could actually HAVE used a C4 rig, and gone mud bogging, with a full compliment of kitchen appliances)

As always, fantastic!

M
Katmanken
Nice work...

Vanagons handle great with the weight balance and larger alloy wheels....

Does that V8 lump at the rear screw up the balance?

Now, iffin I just take a sawzall to the rear of my white Vanagon, think I could make it look like that? idea.gif

Ken
Maltese Falcon
Nope, no plans on a syncro for this one. The wheelie bars will proll'y zip out on electric solenoids (near future project)--but Sway-Away better make some axles that hang together first , Sheared one in half already sad.gif
Water pump is a Rod Simpson Hybrid piece, and it pumps into a Vanagon diesel radiator w/ 185 deg tstat. The vehicle balance isn't bad, but the steering gets light over 100 mph--maybe some front canards idea.gif
Marty
neo914-6
Marty,

Didn't you used to post a pic of it doing a wheelie on your website?
Maltese Falcon
...I think that was the gold 4WD/ 3.2 getting air , blasting around the dirt in the Rio Hondo / San Gabriel. I miss that van...but it's engine will be powering a 1970 artic blue 9146GT this fall--life goes on lol2.gif
Marty
Howard
semi hi jack. 550 was listed on craigslist. it needed help, but how 'bout the transporter smilie_pokal.gif
Maltese Falcon
Hi Howard, Starbux after 11pm is all right --got to stay awake for awhile !
I say bid on BOTH of those toys-- package deal.
Hey if I wasn't working on all of these projects--I'd be in your rallye runs unsure.gif
Marty
spare time toys
I saw the title and thought some one was working on my car and I didnt know it huh.gif I may need to go back to Plan 9 We have a member that goes by Germaneightter also wacko.gif
Rand
Thanks for sharing Martin... I was looking forward to that! smilie_pokal.gif
You have some way cool projects in your stable!
Crazyhippy
With a 1985 chassis, and an earlier motor, how are you handling smog issues?

I have been thinking about installing a mild SBC into an Early VW BUS (21 window would be ideal, but i dont have the heart (or funds) to cut up a decent one, and i'm too lazy to restore one from the dead robot.gif

Also thought about doing an early double cab... Would be a blast to pass people going up the baker grade while towing, in a VW bus biggrin.gif
McMark
I've been wanting to do a split window tow vehicle. One issue is the weight of the bus. I'd probably throw some steel plate on the floor panels just so the trailer wouldn't throw me around.

Probably too big of a project for me to ever get around to. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.