Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things you hate to do
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Mounting the heat exchangers to the head.

Front wheel bearings

Packing the CV joints

My least favorite this morning is replacing the CHT. It's damn near impossible to reach behind the intake manifold through the little hole and thread the sucker into the hole in the head. Frustrating as hell. I know it can be done but, cause I've done it before. It's almost easier to drop the engine and then do it. No one say "Ah, patience Grasshoppa" ar15.gif

Dave
J P Stein
Rear wheel bearings.
grasshopper
trying to get it running lol2.gif
DNHunt
Oh ya replacing the rubber suspension bushings.
bondo
Exploring for rust, stripping paint..
DNHunt
Nope I needed to recalibrate the sensor. It's running great when warm but, starts like it has carbs. The CHT is different than the one I ran on old smoky and the warm up enrichment cuts off too quickly.
rhodyguy
preparing for the repair...driving to small car performance. only to find when i get home they sold me the wrong he to muffler gaskets that the other bespeckeled, balding, silver 914 driving guy uses on his car.

i'm not dave
michel richard
Pulling a halfshaft and replacing a CV joint.
DNHunt
Kevin

I have a couple of 2.0 l muffler gaskets that came in the engine gasket kits. You can have them. The price is free (well not quite). All you have to do is listen to an old fart bitch about getting his fingers behind the manifold through the hole and then screw the GDMF into the hole. German engineering ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

Dave
rhodyguy
you have lots of sockets. have you done the cutout on the side to let the wire slip thru? pm being sent.

k
anthony
Rear brake hoses! I still can't get those suckers off.
Elliot_Cannon
I hate putting the roof on. That usually means bad weather.
Cheers, Elliot
dinomium
I would say ball joints for projects and routine maintenance is gotta be valve adjustments!
Dont like changing stoplight switch or steering boots either!
jimtab
Paying the mechanic....? biggrin.gif
Katmanken
Pushing the #%*^&$&%^ brake lines coming from the brake reservoir into the top of the master cylinder...

Ken
914Jr.
Reinstalling the fresh air blower box and slider switch assembly with cables is high on the list.
Bleyseng
I agree with pushing the MC lines on...damn that was hard to do. fyou1.gif
campbellcj
Clutch and throttle cables aren't high on my fun list -- the pedal box end -- w/ a rollcage
Howard
QUOTE (jimtab @ Jan 21 2006, 09:37 AM)
Paying the mechanic....? biggrin.gif

agree.gif

It must be an old guy thing. Elliot makes a good point, too.
toon1
looking at the SOB in peices, sitting in my garage, taking up room, after having to pull the motor for the second time for some BS problem that I didn't catch.

That and wiring.

I will forget about it when it is running and everything that I hate will not seem that bad. Until something breaks and I have to fix it then I will hate that job until it's fixed and then the it won't seem that bad. Viscous cycle. I guess I'm a glutten for punishment...... piece of stromberg.gif
Allan
Chasing electrical gremlins. headbang.gif
DNHunt
Got the bi&ch. I used a notched socket on an extension. Kind of like the chimp using a stick to get ants this car is returning me to my evolutionary roots
michel richard
QUOTE (kwales @ Jan 21 2006, 09:42 AM)
Pushing the #%*^&$&%^ brake lines coming from the brake reservoir into the top of the master cylinder...

Ken

Did'nt remember that one. I agree that is the absolute worst.
edwardb33
Trying to sort out the Electrical issues and the dreaded hesitation under acceleration.
r_towle
rear trunk springs...

I dont hate any of the work, I love it..its therapy.

The rear trunk springs are scary.

The rest is fun.

Rich
Porcharu
Pushing the dang thing home 3 blocks while being silly and attempting to drive it to work on a nice sunny day. headbang.gif

RUST repair.
TimT
hijacked.gif

Draining the water seperator on my diesel... I just had the water in fuel light come on, drained the seperator, and had diesel run down my arm all the way to my armpit
blink.gif

[/hijack]

dont have many pet peeves working on my 914 or 911 though
tat2dphreak
changing the master cylinder
rear wheel bearings
tie rod ends
adjusting the shift linkage
anything electrical

front bearings don't bother me since I bought one of those $10 bearing packers from FLAPS... worth the money for sure...
Toast
Any
MartyYeoman
This thread is full of too many bad memories. sad.gif
stock93
Adapting a 73 column to a 71 MY car. It was just one of those days nothing seemed to be working right.

John
markb
Replacing the wiper motor. 'Cause ya gotta pull all that other stuff first....... headbang.gif then put it all back in again...... headbang.gif
shoguneagle
getting the list of parts and costs which in turn I will have to pay; then, it doing all the disliked things listed here. Doing a major build and conversion to sixer GT style. and, it is cold outside (8 degrees early in morning). Glad when summer gets to the high country of Arizona
ws91420
Not being able to put my transmission bsck together and in the car because it and my car are about an hour and a half away.
Crazyhippy
Wheel bearings and CV's because they are so damned dirty.

Drain, replace gear oil because of the smell icon8.gif

Any wiring under the dash due to the contortions required and all the blood in your body sitting in your scull shocked[1].gif bootyshake.gif

Disconecting Fuel lines on the bottom of the fuel tank... nothing like a gasoline shower to realllllly piss you off in the morning finger.gif ar15.gif

BJH
Brando
I'm going to hate doing whatever breaks next.

After then, chalk it up to experience, it can't be worse than diagnosing electrical issues on a hacked 928.
lol2.gif
Andyrew
Im still scared of doing my rear bearings.....

Erm.. I am unable to remove cv's the proper way.. lol I take them out by doing the trani side.. then I get a BIG wrench and do the big bolt through the wheel... Hammer it through and im done... biggrin.gif

Brake lines suck.. Anything involving brakes.... Cept r&r pads... and the calipers are pretty easy to rebuild to...
airsix
QUOTE (anthony @ Jan 21 2006, 09:27 AM)
Rear brake hoses! I still can't get those suckers off.

Yep, and when you do you get gushed in the face/hair/neck with brake fluid. Rear brake hoses get my vote as well.
-Ben M.
tracks914
QUOTE (914Jr. @ Jan 21 2006, 09:54 AM)
Reinstalling the fresh air blower box and slider switch assembly with cables is high on the list.

agree.gif
double-a
- master cylinder... worst job i've had to do on this little car by far
- tie rod ends
- replacing front strut insert which had rusted to the inside of the strut cylinder. took me three days of soak + hammer + wiggle + pull + repeat

~a
MattR
Chasing oil leaks... then finding out the engine needs a full rebuild... then finding out a certain machine shop did a piss poor job on the valve grinding... then paying to get it fixed... then getting a job that doesnt allow me ANY free time... then spending my time with the socal 914club instead of working on my car because the old guys make me laugh...
SirAndy
replacing the alternator with the engine in the car ... smash.gif icon8.gif smash.gif barf.gif smash.gif headbang.gif smash.gif w00t.gif
tat2dphreak
altenator isn't bad until you try to do it by yourself... with a friend, it's not bad...

Brando
No no no Matt... it's the things you hate...
914-8
Fixing a detached clutch tube that has broken free from the firewall.

That sucks - cutting open the center tunnel, welding right by those plastic fuel lines, etc.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.