Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rrrockhound
I was trying to take off the old mirror base which was stripped out and ended up cracking the windshield. No biggie...it's just more money. I called the local Safelite auto glass and they said they could replace it for ~$300. But I got to wondering how well I could trust them to do a good job on such an old car. Is there anything I should ask before I entrust my 914 to them? Should I watch them? How do I know they won't f--- up the moldings?
alpha434
Just ask to stick around while they do it, and when they say ok go around and open your trunk (either of them) and pull out a metal baseball bat.

They'll think twice before doing a shoddy job.

I've got a gunrack on my 914, haven't had a problem with any auto service yet.

gunner.gif
alpha434
Out here in colorado, you NEED a gun rack. I mean, who knows when you might see a deer (or a large cat) just off the highway? What do you do then?

biggrin.gif
markb
Call around & compare prices. Tell them that you're comparing prices when you call. I got mine installed by one of those mobile companies for around $200.00. Let them compete with each other for your business. If you're putting the trim back on, make sure you get new clips, they're one-use-only. They will also move the mirror base to the new window for you, so make sure you have the replacement there.
firstknight13
do it your self!! get the wind shield from ebay 185 buy it now. the seal from napa/ acme ask a friend to help and dump the trim for the rubber wink.gif you'll only have YOU to blame biggrin.gif
Rrrockhound
QUOTE (firstknight13 @ Jan 21 2006, 09:05 PM)
do it your self!! get the wind shield from ebay 185 buy it now.  the seal from napa/ acme ask a friend to help and dump the trim for the rubber wink.gif  you'll only have YOU to blame biggrin.gif

Is it really that simple? You wouldn't steer a fellow teener dude wrong, would ya? unsure.gif
markb
If you want to try & do it yourself, make sure that the person selling it has it reputably shipped, insured, etc. These things are really fragile. Have you ever put one in before? I know they break really easy coming out, no matter how careful, so make sure you get it right the first time. Personally, there are some things you need to leave to the pro's. IMHO, this is one of them.
Rrrockhound
QUOTE (markb @ Jan 21 2006, 10:24 PM)
Personally, there are some things you need to leave to the pro's. IMHO, this is one of them.

That's kinda what I thought. I've done door glass, but that's a lot smaller and lighter than a windshield, and it doesn't have the sealing issues. That's why I'd rather leave it to the pros, so I have someone I can blame if it's done wrong. But at the same time, I don't know how many 32 year old German cars these guys see and if they'll really take their time to do it right. For example,when I took my 2000 Dodge in for body work at a reputable shop, they did kind of a half-assed job because they figure you won't care.
firstknight13
smilie_pokal.gif i put mine in !! never ever touched one before. do a dry run first and use acetone on the glass before the butyl rubber. it removes any oils or dirt for bonding purposes wink.gif
alpha434
WAY easy. I've done it myself for every car i've ever owned and plenty of porsches.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.