Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 2000 lemans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rocket
my father told me about the lemans 2000 race where wudi did a whole rear end rebuild in the pit. and there is a video of it. does anyone have a copy of that video, cause i cannot seem to find it anywhere.

-rocket
clarkcou
No video. But I seem to remember the engine & transmission was changed out with a spare assy, not "rebuilt"
Mugs914
It was a gearbox replacement. Nothing was rebuilt on the fly. They had an entire rear end assembly with the proper settings ready to go on the car. The car came in, they pulled it in the garage, pulled off the gearbox with the suspension and all still attached, and bolted the new one on. Took 3 minutes and 45 seconds or so from the time the car stopped in the pit 'till it rolled out again.

It was a beautiful thing... smilie_pokal.gif cool.gif
MattR
agree.gif

it made me sorta hate audi street cars less
Scott Carlberg
You could prolly find what you're looking for by Searching for the DVD
of the 2000 24hrs of LeMans race.

it's prolly on that.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (MattR @ Jan 22 2006, 04:09 PM)
agree.gif

You hate them 'cause they're faster than you? Handle better? Even in the dry? The A8 is the best luxury car on the market?

The Cap'n
MattR
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 23 2006, 07:10 AM)
QUOTE (MattR @ Jan 22 2006, 04:09 PM)
agree.gif

You hate them 'cause they're faster than you? Handle better? Even in the dry? The A8 is the best luxury car on the market?

The Cap'n

Argh. Learn to laugh...
Hawktel
I love my friends A6 with the 2.7 bi-turbo. I love driving it for a bit, and then getting into my GF's passat 1.8 turbo to drive basically the same car that she paid 12 grand less to own.
maf914
QUOTE (Mugs914 @ Jan 22 2006, 01:24 PM)
It was a gearbox replacement. Nothing was rebuilt on the fly. They had an entire rear end assembly with the proper settings ready to go on the car. The car came in, they pulled it in the garage, pulled off the gearbox with the suspension and all still attached, and bolted the new one on. Took 3 minutes and 45 seconds or so from the time the car stopped in the pit 'till it rolled out again.

It was a beautiful thing... smilie_pokal.gif cool.gif

I remember that and it was impressive. They changed the entire rear end of the car. Transmission, suspension, brakes, etc, all in one piece. There were quick disconnect fittings for all of the hydraulics.

The ACO has since changed the rules so that changing out the entire gear box is no longer permitted. Now a team can dissassemble and rebuild a tranny but not change out the entire unit. I guess the idea was to avoid having everyone else adopt the same technology and spend the big bucks just so everyone could do a 3 minute tranny-rear suspension change. At least Audi got a few years advantage out of the idea.
r_towle
I told him about it and he realy wants to see it.

I remember right after lemans that there was the entire video on the net somewhere, but I cant find it...

I think the most impressive part of the whole thing to me was that the whole event was rehearsed so well that no one wasted a move, and no one hit anyone else, or tripped over anything...it was really well orchestrated.

Please help us find the video...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.