Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 5 lug rim options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pnewman
I am looking into buying some newer used Porsche rims. i.e. Boxster, 911, 993?

Do all 5 lug Porsche rims have the same size pattern?

Pete
Andyrew
Yes. But not back spacing.

pnewman
what is the max width 7" or 7.5"?

What is the max height rim 17" or 18"?
seanery
QUOTE (pnewman @ Jan 22 2006, 06:16 PM)

of what?
Brotherbob
Ok let me see if I can get this going in the right direction.
Wiil Porsche phone 15" dials fit a five lug 914?
Boxsters 16's?
I have a few Phone dials with different offsets , looks like offset to the inside for the front and offset lil' to the outside on back. sawzall-smiley.gif
MattR
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Jan 22 2006, 04:19 PM)
Ok let me see if I can get this going in the right direction.
Wiil Porsche phone 15" dials fit a five lug 914?
Boxsters 16's?
I have a few Phone dials with different offsets , looks like offset to the inside for the front and offset lil' to the outside on back. sawzall-smiley.gif

I've got phone dials on my 914. They are early offset ET23.3 and they fit okay. I'm going to need to roll the fender lip to run 205s. They look like they should work on stock fenders with 195s.
Rand
what is the max width 7" or 7.5"?  What is the max height rim 17" or 18"?

If you're asking about the largest factory wheels, they go much bigger than you would want to put on a 914 (The Carerra S has 19" option).

There was a recent thread on large wheels under stock fenders... You can get 205x40x17 Revolution four lugs under stock fenders. Five lug gives you more options.

Of course you can go as big as you want depending on how much fender flaring you want to do.

Dr. Roger
what was the max back spacing??? 4 1/2 "?

something like that.
Dr. Roger
just checked my progress thread.... it's 5 1/2" and it's real close.

you can see 8" and 10" wheels on the front and back of a stock fendered 914.

link below. last page.
pnewman
thanks guys!

I am about to undertake a 5 lug conversion, or atleast seriously considering it and wanted to know what my rim options would be w/ my NON-FLARED fenders.

I like the boxster 16x7's.
I also like the 993, 16x7's.

but if I am going for performance I was leaning to cup II 17x7's.

how does 17 x 7's w/ 205/55 R17 sound? again w/ stock fenders?

o.k. clearence? Spacers needed?

trying to get the big (dollar) picture before deciding.

thanks,
Aaron Cox
user posted image

most non spacer wheels are 112 mm backspace...

so if your wheels have more than that do this X (new wheel backspace that YOU need to RESEARCH smile.gif ) - ~115 = how much spacer youll need smile.gif

X - 115 = spacer
Andyrew
205's on 7's might fit on factory fenders.. But for a 17in rim.. 205/55/17's are a little tall, and they might rub. 205 45 17's would be better, but you still might have to roll the fenders a little (if you know what that means, it can be done without a repaint... if you know how to do it)

Hope this helps.

FYI some people have fit 225's on stock fenders. but not all cars where the same from the factory.
Mueller
QUOTE (pnewman @ Jan 22 2006, 04:16 PM)

rim hieght has nothing to do with fitment, it's the tire diameter, figure the larger the rim, the less sidewall the tire will have for the same diameter tire.

for stock fenders you want an effective offset of 35mm for a 7" wide rim and 205 tire (I'm running 17x7 with 205/45's) , most of the Porsche 17" rims have a 55mm offset so you need a 20mm spacer in the rear or the tire/rim will rub on the trailing arm or the inside trunk wall or be pretty darn close to it....

for the front, without a spacer for a 55mm rim, the tire will hit the strut....

unless you've been racing for years and your suspension is setup perfect, you'll never really notice the performance difference between running 17" or 16" rims if running the same brand tire and close to the same size....sure you might notice the car running stiffer on the 17" rims, but chances are going into and out of a corner your speeds will be the same....

there are guys here still running 15x5.5 rims with street tires that'll clean our clocks at the auto-x or track MDB2.gif

for best performance, the lighter the rim/tire combo the better.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.