Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please help identify a CV joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard
As part of the stash of parts that I got when I bought the 914/6, I had several CV joints. It turns out that two are NOS Lobro 914/4 joints, still in the box and full of packing grease.

I also have 3 complete joints that appear to be 914/6 parts, and one non-complete one. bummer.

I can't find a part number, and I've never seen a 914/6 CV joint, so any help from those who have is welcome.

Outer diameter is 94 mm
michel richard
Balls are a BCH short of 5/8 inch:
michel richard
Thickness of joint is approx 32 mm:
michel richard
And the spline count on the inner piece is 24.
michel richard
I've got a pair of dirve shafts that I'm pretty sure are 914/6 parts: same everything as the 914/4 shafts, except for the spline count: 24 instead of 37 or so.

According to this site:

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/C..._joints_101.htm my CV joints could be type 1 parts, but he does'nt mention spline count.

I have 914/6 stub axles too, and I think I can build complete halfshafts of the right length with what I have, except for this incomplete CV joint.

Can a 911 CV joint be made to work i.e. can a couple of bolts be replaced with roll pins ? I suspect that 914/6 CV joints must be NLA, so what should I look for ?

I've read all the recent threads about 944 solutions, but everybody glosses over the solution that uses 914/6 parts because they're rare. Guess I got lucky in that regard.

TIA

Michel Richard
Porsche Rescue
It is my understanding that the axles are identical, 4 & 6, except for spline. If a known 6 axle fits (or a known 4 doesn't) it is a 6 joint. Its all a question of "Porsche splines" vs "VW splines" I think.
sixerdon
I've got a six CV joint in my hand. I counted 25 splines. (We count differently in Massachusetts) So yes, you seem to have a six joint. And yes, you can buy a new 911 CV and pop the roll pins in. Not a big deal. You will need new circlips for the shafts. If I were you, I would take those other CV's you have and disassemble them VERY CAREFULLY to inspect for wear. Those balls can really gouge the grooves if they went dry. If they are good, reassemble the same way you took them apart.
Don
michel richard
Don,
thanks. The other three joints may be NOS, they have red packing grease or material in them. So I think I need to take them apart, clean them and reassemble.
Cheers.

Michel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.