Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What I did this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
I got lucky enough with a car I parted out, to take posession of a virtually perfect dash top. No cracks, no scratches, etc. The vinyl on the dash face of the car however was in a pretty sorry state, so I decided to redo the dash face and the part in front of the dashtop. Instead of the old basketweave material I decided to go with felt. There's a fabric store literally a block from my apartment so I went over and for $12.97 got a yard of really nice rubber backed felt.

My first attempt at covering the dash top failed miserably. I decided to take the dashboard out of the car completely. After scrubbing off all the glue, dirt and gunk, I managed to get the dash covered pretty nicely. I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, which is marveouls stuff, except when things glue together that you don't want glued together. dry.gif

I decided to delete the heater controls since I never use the heater/blower/fresh air. I also deleted the cigarette lighter in favor of an Anderson Powerpole conenctor which I will mount beneath the dash. The green fog light switch from my previous 914 was added. I'm not sure what I'll sue the switch for yet, but I'm sure I will think of something.

I've decided to replace the backpad with this felt and am considering doing the doors with it as well, but leaving the top part vinyl.
TonyAKAVW
I didn't put anything around the steering column. Looks better in person than in the pictures
TonyAKAVW
TonyAKAVW
Also deleted the badly faded '70 only' center vent.
LowGT
Looks great! clap56.gif

That's something I need to do also.
Aaron Cox
i was going to go brushed aluminum or a GT style felt like joe sharps car....

looks great tony!

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.