Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much $ for a 3.2 gt replica in the Homeland?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigD9146gt
Anybody pay attention to what a restored '73 914 that gets a 3.2 motronic 6, fiberglass flares, 8 pt chromoly cage, Quaife, Moton suspension, RSR front spindles, Boxster calipers, 3pc Fuchs with BBS halfs, 911 dash and complete wiring, bla bla bla, etc etc, overkill retarded mods would go for in Germany? My goal is to finish my "Decade" project, ship it home, drive on the Nurnburgring North Loop (sub 11 min w/o fence meetings), then up into Austria to Kitz, then sell it, buy a couple of Ducati's and visit eveything agian on -2 wheels. Any ideas on $?

Thanks, D.
Jeroen
Sounds like an awesome car, but in my opinion, it won't be an easy sale...

Most people here willing to spend serious money want either a concour quality stock /6 or a very exact GT replica (all period correct parts/mods) so they have the possibility to enter it in classic events/races/rallyes

In my experience, most (pretty much all) Europeans are ignorant/clueless about "exotic" suspension and other mods (which are not uncommon in the US)

I'm not saying it is impossible to sell here or that there will be no interest in your car, but I think it would be easier to sell in the US

That's just my vision on it...
Hopefully other european members will chime in
ArtechnikA
fortunately, we have German and Austrian members who are in a position to know. but my impression is that collection of mods will never pass a TüV inspection for road use in Germany. it'd be really pricey as a track-dedicated car, and not original enough or with racing provenance as a museum piece.

but WTFDIK?
rick 918-S
IIRC, some countries in euope extract heavy duties on vehicle sales if the purchaser doesn't own the car for like a year prior to the shipment. I painted a 1960 Buick Invicta sport for a Finnish engineer who was living and working in the states. That's what he told me. But if could be hearsay. Anywho.... I agree with the mods and the vehicle inspection thing. To the average inspector the vehicle will simply look like a race car someone is attempting to license for use on the streets. But what do I know. I've never been there.

hijacked.gif A little off the subject but still having to do with transporting your car over seas... I like the idea of sending your car over, cruising around say.... With Jeroen when he finishes his car.... idea.gif and shipping it back to the states.

Q. Anyone done it?

Q. If you did would they let you drive it?

Q. How would you insure it? ( collision, liability, US insurance in some cases doesn't extend even into Mexico)

Q. What would it cost to do something as outragous as that.

I was thinking about a EVC.. Euro Vacation Classic.. idea.gif
richardL
If I recall, there was an article in Excellence a couple of years ago about doing just that - shipped a modified 944 (I think), did the tracks and the tourist stuff for a summer, then shipped it back.

I might be able to find the article - perhaps Pete is around and recalls it?

I'd like to do that also.

Richard
SirAndy
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jan 23 2006, 04:19 AM)
but my impression is that collection of mods will never pass a TüV inspection for road use in Germany.

agree.gif 99.9% chance the car will *NOT* be streetlegal in germany.

btw. you should make sure they'll let you drive it on the street over there before you ship it over ...
it used to be that americans (that were in the military service in germany) were excempt from certain TÜV rules, but i'm not sure that is still the fact.
but in any case, as soon as you sell the car, any excemptions you might be able to negotiate for you will be lost in space and the next owner will be left with a hefty bill ($$$) to make it streetlegal or use it as a track-only car.
in which case you just narrowed your potential market to almost nil ...

just my 2 cents worth of drivel ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
ppickerell
When you do this, be sure to include Croatia in your travels on your Dooks. The Dalmatian coast is unbelievable!
theol00
Andy is absolutely correct - this car will be very hard to sell - or even to drive in Germany on public roads - almost impossible to sell as a vintage racer - because of very tight restrictions what can be raced - and as a "just racecar" not interesting enough because of classifications and age - most racing cars are more "modern" than even the most modified 914 - most racing classes are later model cars agree.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 23 2006, 06:09 AM)
IIRC, some countries in euope extract heavy duties on vehicle sales if the purchaser doesn't own the car for like a year prior to the shipment. I painted a 1960 Buick Invicta sport for a Finnish engineer who was living and working in the states. That's what he told me. But if could be hearsay. Anywho.... I agree with the mods and the vehicle inspection thing. To the average inspector the vehicle will simply look like a race car someone is attempting to license for use on the streets. But what do I know. I've never been there.

hijacked.gif A little off the subject but still having to do with transporting your car over seas... I like the idea of sending your car over, cruising around say.... With Jeroen when he finishes his car.... idea.gif and shipping it back to the states.

Q. Anyone done it?

Q. If you did would they let you drive it?

Q. How would you insure it? ( collision, liability, US insurance in some cases doesn't extend even into Mexico)

Q. What would it cost to do something as outragous as that.

I was thinking about a EVC.. Euro Vacation Classic.. idea.gif

hijacked.gif Neighbor just shipped '65 and '69 Mustangs to Norway.. $1000 apiece containerized. (of course, 1 way)
maf914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 23 2006, 09:17 AM)
it used to be that americans (that were in the military service in germany) were excempt from certain TÜV rules, but i'm not sure that is still the fact.

That was true for US military and civilians who worked for the Department of Defense (DOD). Under the staus of forces agreement these people registered their cars with the US military and were not subject to the German TUV system. Americans who were tourists or living in Germany were not elegible for this and were required to register there cars through the German system.

Many DOD Americans brought US spec cars from the states and found that there was little market for these cars in the German economy because they didn't meet German specs. A friend of mine did sell his US spec Corvette to a German citizen who was a car guy who knew Vettes. Another friend sold a 65(?) Ford Falcon to a German historic racer. This was a special Falcon though, one of only a few that Ford built for homologation for sedan racing. It had a racing history, papers, etc. Very cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.