Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended RPMs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I am finally legal to drive my teener and was wondering what the recommended RPMs are?

I read in a earlier thread that the engine runs better in the 3000-4000 rpm range for best cooling.

Therefore, when do you downshift, below 3000?

At what rpm do you shift into 5th for interstate driving?

Any other recommendations?

BTW, I have a 'Joe Ricard' built 2.0l with carbs with stock wheels....

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
I seem to remember your cam is .435 lift 270 duration. Tall intakes with 40 IDF's 28mm vents.
195/60-15 tires stock trans gearing.

answer is...... Drive it like you stole it! Just remeber you don't have a rev limiter in it. wink.gif

You'll get the knack for listening to the sweet spot to shift right around 3K RPM's Cruising in 5th gear @ 3200 in FLAT Tampa with all your power should not be a problem.

But it is really fun to go screaming around above 4,000 RPM Let the cam come on and have a ball. burnout.gif
SGB
Very similar to my setup...
Those tall manifolds work great for lower revs- mine will pull uphill as low as 2200 rpm - but that is a real head heater, so I try to stay up a little higher. In real driving on crowded streets, I find I usually shift to a higher gear pretty early- like 37 or 3800, but that is always a "light-load" kinda situation- not trying to increase speed rapidly at all. With those manifolds and cam, you will prolly have a nice (to a 914 owner) buzzing resonance at about 3500 or so if you are hard on the throttle and the carbs are well balanced.
You really should be able to putter around like a VW if you wanna, shifting at 4k and proceeding at a measured pace, or buzz around like a go-kart when times are right for it, and unleash Mr. Hyde.
Chris Pincetich
I recommend shifting in the low to mid 3s for the first 0-10 minutes of driving, but after the engine is warmed up it is much more fun to shift higher in the power band, like 4-5k. The key word here is fun! laugh.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.