Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That was Easy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Put a Mallory Dizzy on order. Quick simple nice transaction.
Now I need a better coil that will go with the dizzy and my Mallory 6A ignition box. 8mm Magnacore plug wires.

any suggestions? 8.0 compression and will be going up. .500 lift 300 duration cam, 40IDF's 32 mm vents, tall intakes, Tangerine EVO 5/8" header with silencer. engine will be balanced, and already has dual valve springs so I want to rev it. HARD!

If you recommend Bosch blue please justify your reason.
Jake Raby
Joe, Thanks for the order for the Mallory... It may be able to leave today if I get a chance to curve it.

I would recommend the Mallory coil that we offer, OR the regular Bosch Blue coil, either of which will work fine with the MSD. You will need the ballast resistor wired in line to use the Mallory coil though..
call me if you have questions...
rhodyguy
joe, why not get the msd anti-vibration coil? consider getting the aurora wires from aircooled.net if jake doesn't stock them. they have the right tin seals and are priced pretty sweet. when i got mine they weren't listed on the site and i had to call. aircooled that is, not the type4store. do you/are you going to carry them jake?

re the ballast resistor jake. my car seems to run just fine with the dist i got from dave, who bought it from you. i have the A6 box set up too. dave didn't mention the resistor. perhaps it's there and i don't know it. when you have a moment i need to speak/communicate with you about the cam/lifter, pushrod selection so i can wrap up parts pile and get off my ass.

k
Joe Ricard
Ballast resistor when running a 6A box?? Hmm where did I put that instruction book for the Mallory box. As I see it both + and - terminals from the doil come off the box not the 12V switched power of the car.
12V switched power now goes to the red wire of the Mallory box.
Aaron Cox
joe,

i have the hyfire 6a, and a unlilite, along with the mallory promaster Ecoil.
big square thing, mounted on the firewall....

bosch and pertronix coils couldnt handle 5000RPM with out missing....
user posted image
Aaron Cox
and the aurora wires are a must... 8.5mm
Joe Ricard
Thanks That was my gut feeling about coils. I seem to get lots of time above 5K RPMs . rolleyes.gif
Got to love them Autocrosses.
Aaron Cox
www.centuryperformance.com for the coil
Brett W
Joe I ran a bosch blue coil with a ballast resistor on my car for two years without a problem. I took the car to 7K on a regular basis with no sign of a miss. I was running MSD wires and NGK plugs.

If you want this coil it is your for 20shipped.
Joe Ricard
No Thanks,
Just got the same coil as Aaron. 55,000 volts. That will keep it lit.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 23 2006, 10:33 AM)
No Thanks,
Just got the same coil as Aaron. 55,000 volts. That will keep it lit.

woohoo....

let me know if you need help getting your tach to work with the CDI box....

throw that coil up on der firewall smile.gif
Joe Ricard
Uh I am quite confident the 5" Autometer will be just fine wink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 23 2006, 12:28 PM)
Uh I am quite confident the 5" Autometer will be just fine wink.gif

bah....

im a purist i guess chairfall.gif
Joe Ricard
Yea, but the shift light scares the wannabes.
after this weekend the Tangerine header will scare the rest.

and piss off my nieghbors cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 23 2006, 01:27 PM)
Yea, but the shift light scares the wannabes.
after this weekend the Tangerine header will scare the rest.

and piss off my nieghbors cool_shades.gif

FWIW, you need to change the coil plug wire end..... no biggy, it comes with the coil.

here is mine all setup...
user posted image

i mounted the coil on the firewall, and on its side (so water wouldnt get into the connector.....) note the HEI style plug wire on that end
Joe Ricard
Sweet. Good thing Magnacore sent me a longer coil wire too.
I bet the HEI connector is probably a good idea with 55,000 volts

Hey hold this for a second while I crank it. lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.