Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Starters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
m_davidson
I'd like to use a '72-'89 911 starter with the earlier flywheel on a 2.4L 911 engine in a 914-6 conversion project. ( I understand the very early 911 starters were 0.8hp the same as a stock 914-4 starter, while the '72-'89 911 starters were 1.5hp.)

Will the '72-'89 starter bolt in and work with the earlier flywheel ring gear okay?

Mel
Cap'n Krusty
Yes. I know for a fact the SR 68X starter works as far back as a 1965 900 series car, and for any 12v VW aircooled application except the 1976 and later bus/vanagon. The Cap'n
zymurgist
I have a 2.4 in my tail dragger and it takes the 0.8 hp starter. Bonus is that the 0.8 hp starter costs $70 for a German-made rebuilt unit from NAPA, as opposed to $300.
914Sixer
The Cap'n is correct about the 68X starters. They will bolt right up.
SLITS
Both will work as said, but the best is the converted Nippondenso or Hitachi gear reduction starter....yeh, non-Porsche.....they'll spin most any engine mucho better and last longer anyway.
m_davidson
Thanks gang. I've heard rumors the gear reduction starters tend to chew up ring gears. Is that true?

Mel
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Jan 23 2006, 12:06 PM)
I have a 2.4 in my tail dragger and it takes the 0.8 hp starter. Bonus is that the 0.8 hp starter costs $70 for a German-made rebuilt unit from NAPA, as opposed to $300.

All the Porsche starters are "German made". Only the genuine Bosch remanufactured starters carry the same quality through the rebuilding process. Even the Bosch ones, BTW, are likely to have been rebuilt in the US. IME, Bosch remans have a much better liklihood of lasting a while. While NAPA is a big Bosch outlet, I'd sure want to know the starter I bought from them was genuine Bosch reman. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.