Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sorta OT: Race Trailer weight loss
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I've been working on a refresh of our race trailer. It is a Timberwolf 19' enclosed dual axle. I've been pulling out old cabinets and repainting inside. So far I have removed 300lbs of cabinets that will not go back in. I am now turning my attention the floor.

It has old original linoleum over the plywood base floor. I have started pulling up and chipping away with my assortment of scrapers.

My question is: What is the best way to take up the old lino? I'm using a large 3 foot long handled metal scraper along with my assorted scrapers and putty knives. Truthfully, the putty knives work the best. That means several more nights of manual labor to get up the lino and then sanding it. I plan on epoxy painting the floor since it is lighter in weight than going back in with vinyl.

I don't want to gouge the floor and I am currently not using any chemicals to loosen the lino.

Any suggestions? Or is it just suck it up and keep chipping away?

Here's a pic...... blink.gif

Thanks!

Bill P.
jhadler
How 'bout the same method one would use for floorboard soundproofing?

Get a bunch of dry ice, lay it down on the floor, let it sit a while, then thwack the floor with a mallet.

I don't know if it'd break the lino free of the floor, but it'd be worth a shot. Works for tar...

Either that, or a big ol' heat gun and a scraper...

-Josh2
Rand
I would think a heat gun would help big time.
TimT
Go to Home Despot, or whichever home center you have and get what is really a giant putty knife, I forgot the exact name but its made for removing flooring. Its got a 12 in springsteel blade, and a 5 or 6 foot long handle.. gets under the tile pretty easliy, peels them right up
balljoint
Heat gun for sure. Or if you don't have one of those you can borrow a clothes iron. Just be really careful and use a towel between the iron and the floor or you'll be in trouble. wink.gif
736conver
Heat Gun should be the easiest.

Using the long handle scraper might gouge the wood floor or take chunks up as you scrap. It usually chips up small bits at a time if the tile is glue really good.

I 'm speaking from BTDT.

Rand
I know it's a piece of crap, but hey... it was on sale for $10.00 at my local store, it works, and it will get me through the projects I need it for...

Harbor Freight heat gun
neo914-6
Bill,

Considering all the scraping work hours, why not replace with new plywood? biggrin.gif
nine14cats
Thanks for the inputs guys!

Tim,

I have one of those long scraper/putty knives with the 12" blade. It works really well where the glue had either dried out brittle or is gone, but that's mostly in the middle of the trailer. The edges are where the Timberlake factory must have really spent their glue budget. I agree with you, it makes quick work of big sections of floor. But I do have to be careful not to gouge out or separate the playwood underneath.

Felix,

I have given thought to replacing the floor. I was hoping to avoid it becoming another Federal project. The floor itself is in great shape. I'll see how the heat gun works on it first.

Thanks,

Bill P.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.