Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pauter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
With their pro-drag /4 motors putting out nearly 1000hp, could a mild one be built to street for a similar budget as a /6?

I haven't seen any mention of pricing anywhere. (I have a bucket ready to puke in smile.gif)

I think they look like art.

M
redshift
I just ran into this Engine Cookbook.

Kinda neat.

M
Dave_Darling
You might be able to build a hi-po Pauter motor for about the same cost as a 3.0 Six. But the Pauter stuff is optimized for 8-10 second runs, 1320 feet long. They get "freshened" every 10 or 20 passes. I don't think rebuilding an engine every 5-10 miles is that great an idea...

Lotsa custom work to fit it in a Type IV. They "claim" to have T-IV stuff, but most of it is T-I stuff with slightly different bolt patterns. If that. Notice that their "type IV" heads have exhaust ports fore and aft, not at the bottom. ... And so on.

The roller rockers are not self-oiling and don't have any provision for getting oil to any of the rest of the head. So you have to come up with something for that (spray bars?) or live with the notion that you have to replace parts up that-a-way frequently.

All-out drag motors make really sucky street motors. Even worse than real race motors (e.g., for road-racing).

--DD
URY914
agree.gif -With what Dave said.

Paul
redshift
Yeah, I just spent like 6 hours reading about all this stuff..

There are a couple alternatives, but none of them seem pretty, easy, or fun.. so no point.

Sorry for the wake.

wink.gif

M
Bleyseng
Save up your money for a six like the rest of us "poor four" guys.

Geoff
Randal
Anyone out there have any real experience with a complete motor from LN Engineering?

They say 250-260HP (the latter with race gas) with either a high revving 2.1, or a 2.7 torque monster absolutely works and is reliable for road racing.

To good to be true?

The thing that is really appealing about keeping a 4 is the substantial weight savings between a 4 and a 6. Also the hassle to convert to a 6 that I understand takes a lot of effort.

But everything falls apart if the "reliability" isn't there.
Brad Roberts
reliable for road racing

They need to give you an example of a customer road racing and I dont mean a back marker who is 5 seconds off the pace.

I know LN makes some cylinders (nice ones) and I know they are working on heads... but complete engines is not something I have heard them doing.

Engines are only as reliable as the driver.

B
BravoHotel
What about the two-thirds (4-cylinder) 911 motor that was featured in the Aug issue of "Excellence"? Anyone seen or heard of this? Apparently this guy, Dean Polopolus, has perfected his kit that takes any donor 911 motor (2.0 - 3.6) and turns it into a 4-cylinder. The kit contains new block, crank, and cams. Basically you get the reliability of a 911 motor w/ weight advantage of a 4...plus OHC's!

One of his test engines (97mm stroke X 74.4mm bore = 2186cc) made 220hp.

I DIG IT!

BH
Gary
Didn't get the August issue. There was an issue a few years back with a 356 and a 4 cylinder 911 motor done by Parts Obsolete. Had a matching trailer for the trip to Monterey. Very nice. If you want one bring money...

Parts Obsolete 4 cylinder 911 motor.
redshift
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 31 2003, 11:23 AM)
Save up your money for a six like the rest of us "poor four" guys.

Geoff

If it were workable (which it isn't) and the price was similar (which it is) I would go with a Pauter solution..

There are a bunch of people working on exotic TIV motors for streeting, just nothing out yet.. looks like.

It would be cool.

M
Jake Raby
LN only sells parts ...They work closely with me..

As for the Pautyer parts....my 181 BHP 914 engine in my 73 has zero pauter parts.....for a reason.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.