914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
i worked on the 914.6 today ! okay, it was just pulling
off brake disks so i could install them on the 911 for the ECR and
beyond, but still... -was- very happy to discover that the left rear
hub that i'd been afraid had been bent in the crash that took it out
of service 23 years ago was in fact (in a quick spin test) still
pretty darned straight.

and one of my steel lug nuts has grown legs in the last 20 years; anybody coming up to the ECR that can bring one for me ?
Brad Roberts
Your using 23 year old brake discs ??? Do you call that "seasoned" ??

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 30 2003, 08:04 PM)
Your using 23 year old brake discs ??? Do you call that "seasoned" ??

they are seasoned, all right ! stress-relieved and all :-) ...

i think they might have 1000 mi on them since new tho. only very light surface rust, it'll sand off easily.
i pulled the complete front hubs, and i'm putting in new bearings and grease seals today; if there are any issues, i can pop the original hubs right back on. the backs are an easy swap.

BTW - i did remember correctly - there was a 3mm aluminum spacer between the rear hub face and the inner disk mounting surface to center the disk in the widened caliper.

so - are you just giving me a hard time because i can finally use some parts i've had stored for a long time, or is there some issue with "old" metal i should know about ? i bet there are lots of guys who've had the same disks on their cars for 30 years ... (low mileage cars, just like mine ...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.