Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the light may have gone on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
so..........
i just sold off my G35, and i am now down to 3 cars. I did this for two reason:1. because i thought i might want to fund a race car project with a 944 or possibly a 914.
2. and mostly, because 5 cars, in my mind, is just plain silly.
i just bought a house with a three car garage, so that i would only have to leave one outside, but two?

I am trying reallllly hard not to buy another car until i absolutely need one, or the right deal comes up. but right now i feel like i am going through withdrawals. I have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to buying cars. i have been on the prowel for a 944 for a few months, but haven't found one i like (i take that back, FERG stold one from under me biggrin.gif)
So comes the realization part:
I just had my second kid a couple of months ago. College funds are important to me. I make a decent living, and could probably squeek in a 4th and 5th car purchase, but the kids come first. I will eventually buy a 4th car, because i need a sedan, but my DD will be a lifted Jeep for the time being. (and 914 when it's nice out) driving.gif The wife has a soccer mom car for kid safety.
I sold the G, because i didn't really think i needed that KIND of car. Plus, i HATED driving an A/T. I am now looking for a 5 speed, 4 door vehicle, but not sure what to get and will TRY really hard to wait as long as i can. (i give myself a week laugh.gif) I am trying to keep the sales price below $20k. I could probably buy a more expensive car, but i am trying to show some conservative restraint.
My wife hated to see the G go, but she isn't as cheap as i am either. and this club makes it tough to be cheap, because frankly, nice/fast cars are very addicting. cool_shades.gif
I think i owe this change in perspective to CINDERELLA MAN, which we just saw over the holiday. Great movie! popcorn[1].gif
It really put things into perspective for me. For one man to go from so much, to nothing, then work so hard to build it back up again. i think it hit a nerve or something.
sometimes i think we need to take a step back, think, and priortize our lives (or at least i do).
anyway, i think i am done for now. sorry for the essay. dry.gif

i thought the poll would be interesting. smile.gif

i am really liking the no car payment thing, but daily driving the jeep is getting old. dry.gif
fiid
I'm a subaru fan - so definately biased, but a WRX or Legacy GT could be pretty fun whilst also being a 4 door sedan. The wagons are a little less fun to drive, but they have the extra hauling capacity.

An older WRX would probably fit into the price range you specified....

Just an idea smile.gif
bondo
QUOTE (fiid @ Jan 25 2006, 11:02 AM)
I'm a subaru fan - so definately biased, but a WRX or Legacy GT could be pretty fun whilst also being a 4 door sedan. The wagons are a little less fun to drive, but they have the extra hauling capacity.

An older WRX would probably fit into the price range you specified....

Just an idea smile.gif

I second that one.. We have a WRX wagon, and it's a universal car.. Hauls stuff, goes fast, doesn't get stuck, has modern safety stuff, gets decent mileage, and doesn't break.
Howard
Easy. Just do what I did.
18-25. Race, buy lots of cars and bikes, have the time of my life. Damn near kill myself.
25-55. Forget about cars and other boy toys, raise kids, build business.
55-?? see 18-25

Brian Mifsud
Tuition at any college today: $20-40K per year

Tuition at any college once your kid is college age: $????

Purchase cost of goof off car: $20K???
Maintenance and upgrade cost of goof-off car $20K???

This car is small potatoes.. just accept it.. your kids will have to work their way through college but the'll be better people for it. If they can manage to find a job, and juggle classes and homework, it means they are responsible people, or need to get responsible FAST!!

That way, when the kid realizes that dad foolishly spent his retirement on toys, the kid will know how to find the best deal in the discount old folks home he throws you into biggrin.gif
Howard
25-55:
In fairness, I never cancelled my subscription to R&T and did manage to squeeze in a Porsche, BMW, and a couple of trick MBZ's, but just incidental as daily drivers.
Howard
And, no rest homes. Far cheaper to to take the QE II on a one year round the world cruise, so make sure your kids know that biggrin.gif
seanery
bye1.gif
Gint
av-943.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 25 2006, 09:33 AM)
so..........
i just sold off my G35, and i am now down to 3 cars. I did this for two reason:1. because i thought i might want to fund a race car project with a 944 or possibly a 914.
2. and mostly, because 5 cars, in my mind, is just plain silly.
i just bought a house with a three car garage, so that i would only have to leave one outside, but two?

I am trying reallllly hard not to buy another car until i absolutely need one, or the right deal comes up. but right now i feel like i am going through withdrawals. I have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to buying cars. i have been on the prowel for a 944 for a few months, but haven't found one i like (i take that back, FERG stold one from under me biggrin.gif)
So comes the realization part:
I just had my second kid a couple of months ago. College funds are important to me. I make a decent living, and could probably squeek in a 4th and 5th car purchase, but the kids come first. I will eventually buy a 4th car, because i need a sedan, but my DD will be a lifted Jeep for the time being. (and 914 when it's nice out) driving.gif The wife has a soccer mom car for kid safety.
I sold the G, because i didn't really think i needed that KIND of car. Plus, i HATED driving an A/T. I am now looking for a 5 speed, 4 door vehicle, but not sure what to get and will TRY really hard to wait as long as i can. (i give myself a week laugh.gif) I am trying to keep the sales price below $20k. I could probably buy a more expensive car, but i am trying to show some conservative restraint.
My wife hated to see the G go, but she isn't as cheap as i am either. and this club makes it tough to be cheap, because frankly, nice/fast cars are very addicting. cool_shades.gif
I think i owe this change in perspective to CINDERELLA MAN, which we just saw over the holiday. Great movie! popcorn[1].gif
It really put things into perspective for me. For one man to go from so much, to nothing, then work so hard to build it back up again. i think it hit a nerve or something.
sometimes i think we need to take a step back, think, and priortize our lives (or at least i do).
anyway, i think i am done for now. sorry for the essay. dry.gif

i thought the poll would be interesting. smile.gif

College fund? I just had my first kid (not me - my wife) and he is going to pay his own way if he want's to go to school. I just screwed around while my folks paid my way for 4 years - after they cut me off because I was screwing around I had to get loans and a job and I stopped screwing around and graduated with my worthless degree that I have almost paid off.
jimtab
T-man, thanks again for the Xmas stuff...I'm all set for the opener....as far as a car I can recommend a 94-95 model Acura Legend gs with the 6 speed trans...one of the best sedans I've ever driven...or a coupe if you can find one in your price range. Not only quick but damn near bulletproof, I put over 100k on the car without anything but scheduled maintainance and tires/brakes. It isn't a particularly sexy car and fwd is not my first choice but you can get a lot of car well within your price range.
TROJANMAN
thanks for the tip. wink.gif
gint, is that the same as yours?

lapuwali
Well, my wife and I are DINKs and will remain so, but...

I have four cars, and a two car garage. I've had as many as five at once. I don't live out in the boonies where I have a lot of land to park the overflow, so two in the garage, one in the driveway, the other on the street (wife's car takes up extra driveway slot), and lots of juggling moving them around.

The sum total of their prices is still less than what the wife's car cost. I don't tend to lose much money on the sales, not accounting for the labor I put into them. So, my car hobby is pretty close to a zero sum game. Net, I spend maybe $2000 per year now.

So, it's possible to have a silly number of cars and still spend fairly little money.

SharonG
I don't know ANYTHING about a husband who can't seem to stop buying and selling vehicles!!! Who the heck would tolerate such a spouse?!?!?! FIVE vehicles?!?!?! With TWO parked outside?!?! You should be ashamed!!! Next thing you know, you'll have a 914 tub parked on the side of your house with a really nice blue tarp over it! biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 25 2006, 10:57 AM)
25-55:
In fairness, I never cancelled my subscription to R&T and did manage to squeeze in a Porsche, BMW, and a couple of trick MBZ's, but just incidental as daily drivers.

Crap, I got like 20 years before I can start farting around agian. cool.gif laugh.gif
Dead Air
Smart+Practical=Boring! biggrin.gif

I'd do the same thing
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (SharonG @ Jan 26 2006, 02:30 PM)
I don't know ANYTHING about a husband who can't seem to stop buying and selling vehicles!!! Who the heck would tolerate such a spouse?!?!?! FIVE vehicles?!?!?! With TWO parked outside?!?! You should be ashamed!!! Next thing you know, you'll have a 914 tub parked on the side of your house with a really nice blue tarp over it! biggrin.gif

sharon, does that tub have wheels on it, because i can help with that.
ph34r.gif
Gint
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 26 2006, 02:14 PM)
thanks for the tip. wink.gif
gint, is that the same as yours?

Yup. Pretty much. 93 LS 5 spd. Love it.
Gint
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 26 2006, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (SharonG @ Jan 26 2006, 02:30 PM)
I don't know ANYTHING about a husband who can't seem to stop buying and selling vehicles!!!  Who the heck would tolerate such a spouse?!?!?!  FIVE vehicles?!?!?!  With TWO parked outside?!?!  You should be ashamed!!!  Next thing you know, you'll have a 914 tub parked on the side of your house with a really nice blue tarp over it!  :D

sharon, does that tub have wheels on it, because i can help with that.
ph34r.gif

Hey! I resemble that remark. Should I tell her I wanna go look at another one tomorrow? wink.gif

I have a two car garage that contains one 914/6 tub all shiny and new and a lot of parts for that same car. The other FIVE cars and trucks are parked outside.
Eric_Shea
Everyone is simply being kind... I voted. You're OLD! w00t.gif

I missed the baby announcement. Tell you're beauuuutiful wiffy we said hello and congrats smilie_pokal.gif

I have the 3-car garage. The Porschees are parallel parked in stall #3. Plenty-o-room.

When you coming out?

Gint... I heard the 'Deliverance' theme play as I read that... what's up with that? biggrin.gif
Gint
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 26 2006, 08:33 PM)

I missed the baby announcement. Tell you're beauuuutiful wiffy we said hello and congrats smilie_pokal.gif

I have the 3-car garage. The Porschees are parallel parked in stall #3. Plenty-o-room.

When you coming out?

Gint... I heard the 'Deliverance' theme play as I read that... what's up with that? biggrin.gif

I'm not parking cars on the lawn and there still isn't a washer or living room couch on the front porch...
TROJANMAN
i can honestly say that i own a home with a living room couch on the front porch blink.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 26 2006, 07:33 PM)

When you coming out?

thanks eric,
and i am waiting for you to come out first aaron.gif

w00t.gif
brant
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jan 26 2006, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 26 2006, 07:33 PM)
Everyone is simply being kind... I voted.  You're OLD!   w00t.gif

I missed the baby announcement.  Tell you're beauuuutiful wiffy we said hello and congrats  :trophy:

When you coming out?

thanks eric,
and i am waiting for you to come out first aaron.gif

w00t.gif

Don't stress Greg....

Erics coming out for the track day in May....... AREN'T YOU ERIC!
alpha434
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jan 25 2006, 10:42 AM)
Tuition at any college today: $20-40K per year

Tuition at any college once your kid is college age: $????

Purchase cost of goof off car: $20K???

This car is small potatoes.. just accept it.. your kids will have to work their way through college but the'll be better people for it. If they can manage to find a job, and juggle classes and homework, it means they are responsible people, or need to get responsible FAST!!

That way, when the kid realizes that dad foolishly spent his retirement on toys, the kid will know how to find the best deal in the discount old folks home he throws you into biggrin.gif

I hope you get some sort of exotic skin disorder.

Working through college sucks. And I make a decent living. All of my friends are always poor and they have to live with their parents or room with five other kids the same age. And at this age, we all really suck to be around.
SharonG
QUOTE (Gint @ Jan 26 2006, 09:08 PM)
Hey!  I resemble that remark.  Should I tell her I wanna go look at another one tomorrow?   wink.gif

Another car for me?!?! I think it's still my turn... biggrin.gif wub.gif

And Greg, if you start worrying about college funds now, you WILL make yourself old! Our kids have to understand it's not all about them... it's all about US!!! (which is what I tell my 19 year old when he forks over part of his college tuition - it's character building, Alpha! yeah, that's it...)
Eric_Shea
Erics coming out for the track day in May....... AREN'T YOU ERIC!

If Greg's gonna be there (he says with a slight lisp). wub.gif grouphug.gif
Bruce Allert
I voted for BORING cuz that's where I'm from, am, was, is, wanna be, will be..... until I win the MegaBucks jackpot of multi billions or

Have another Fat Tiar beer.gif

If you can do it gopher it w00t.gif

.......b beerchug.gif
Brando
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 26 2006, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Jan 25 2006, 10:42 AM)
Tuition at any college today:  $20-40K per year

Tuition at any college once your kid is college age:  $????

Purchase cost of goof off car:  $20K???

This car is small potatoes.. just accept it.. your kids will have to work their way through college but the'll be better people for it.  If they can manage to find a job, and juggle classes and homework, it means they are responsible people, or need to get responsible FAST!!

That way, when the kid realizes that dad foolishly spent his retirement on toys, the kid will know how to find the best deal in the discount old folks home he throws you into   biggrin.gif

I hope you get some sort of exotic skin disorder.

Working through college sucks. And I make a decent living. All of my friends are always poor and they have to live with their parents or room with five other kids the same age. And at this age, we all really suck to be around.

I gotta agree with alpha here. Be a real parent and help your kid through college. Don't be a CSOB and make them pay for it all. Especially if they don't qualify for grants because you make more than $25k/year. I know there's more types of tuition assistance out there, but who wants to come out of college with a degree and start out 4 years' salary in debt?

IMHO, only real deutschebags kick their kids through college without any help. It's a completely different story if you truly can't afford it though.

Then again, I'm just bitter.
Howard
IMO...

Both sets of my grandparents came here as immigrants. They worked their asses off and helped their kids get started in their businesses or professions. This help contributed to my parents' success.

Then they worked hard and in turn helped me with my education, car(s), and down payment on first house. I worked and helped my kids in the same way to the best of my ability. Spoiled? Sure, you could say that. Each generation has had it easier than the prior one, but each generation seems to do better. My son has set aside $100 per month since his daughter was born. She has about $10,000 in that 'fund' before her 7th birthday, and I hope she has it easier (and does more) than my kids did.

But Alpha, Brando, if my Dad said no to one of my $$ requests and I suggested that he contract a rare disease or was a cheap SOB, he would have kicked me so hard I never would have had children. aktion035.gif
Gint
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 27 2006, 11:46 AM)
IMO...

Both sets of my grandparents came here as immigrants.  They worked their asses off and helped their kids get started in their businesses or professions.  This help contributed to my parents' success.  

Then they worked hard and in turn helped me with my education, car(s), and down payment on first house.  I worked and helped my kids in the same way to the best of my ability.  Spoiled?  Sure, you could say that.  Each generation has had it easier than the prior one, but each generation seems to do better.  My son has set aside $100 per month since his daughter was born.  She has about $10,000 in that 'fund' before her 7th birthday, and I hope she has it easier (and does more) than my kids did.

But Alpha, Brando, if my Dad said no to one of my $$ requests and I suggested that he contract a rare disease or was a cheap SOB, he would have kicked me so hard I never would have had children.   aktion035.gif

agree.gif My old man would have kicked my ass. He bought my first car for $800. That was it.

Our kid is paying a third of his tuition (as will the next two coming along) so he'll appreciate the value if his education. I could pay it all, but I won't.
TROJANMAN
my parents, who never went to college, put 3 of us through USC, when they could have easily sent us to the inferior school across town known as Westwood High. biggrin.gif

Thanks Mom and Dad wub.gif

Howard
Like that really helps poke.gif
alpha434
Time spent working is time better spent studying. I've just about finished my two years at junior college. I've had a night job since the day I turned eighteen, which means That I was at work from 3 in the afternoon to 2 in the morning and back at school at 7:30. My grades actually went up for a while, but now I'm seriously tired. I'm having serious doubts on whether I can get myself through CSM. Its unreasonable.
Howard
Chris, you will have to be the one that starts your family dynasty. Go for it!
Porcharu
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 26 2006, 10:42 PM)

Your SUPPOSED to be poor in college, it greatly improves your ingenuity - creativity and helps establish a budget. Everything I learned in college that means anything in real life was learned outside of the classroom - alot of it at work. You learn simple things like showing up for work when you say you will be there is just as important as how good you are.
Just ask a manager what the biggest problem they have with employees especially young ones. It's always the same - people not showing up.
Brando
QUOTE (srbliss @ Jan 28 2006, 12:12 PM)
Your SUPPOSED to be poor in college, it greatly improves your ingenuity - creativity and helps establish a budget. Everything I learned in college that means anything in real life was learned outside of the classroom - alot of it at work. You learn simple things like showing up for work when you say you will be there is just as important as how good you are.
Just ask a manager what the biggest problem they have with employees especially young ones. It's always the same - people not showing up.

Supposed to be poor in college? I'm going to call bullshit here. If my parents would have offered some help (note: I had to pay $1200/quarter on a barely-above minimum wage job by myself) for tuition when I first went to a cal state I would have my bachelor's in computer engineering by now. I didn't have credit for an academic loan, parents wouldn't cosign, they make too much for me to qualify for any sort of scholarship or gov. assistance.

If you make more than $50,000 a year and have a kid -- don't be stingy, save for their future. I'm not saying pay their whole way, I'm saying if you help pay for books or half a quarter it'll mean the world to them. Why would you want to burden your child with thousands of dollars of debt while they struggle to get an education when you could have made it easier for them to get their degree? We're not all unapprecieative bastards, you know.
Porcharu
QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 28 2006, 12:53 PM)

Supposed to be poor in college? I'm going to call bullshit here. If my parents would have offered some help (note: I had to pay $1200/quarter on a barely-above minimum wage job by myself) for tuition when I first went to a cal state I would have my bachelor's in computer engineering by now. I didn't have credit for an academic loan, parents wouldn't cosign, they make too much for me to qualify for any sort of scholarship or gov. assistance.

If you make more than $50,000 a year and have a kid -- don't be stingy, save for their future. I'm not saying pay their whole way, I'm saying if you help pay for books or half a quarter it'll mean the world to them. Why would you want to burden your child with thousands of dollars of debt while they struggle to get an education when you could have made it easier for them to get their degree? We're not all unapprecieative bastards, you know.

Yes - I meant that. I only got out 9 years ago so it's pretty fresh in my mind. I was a screw off while on the folks dime. I got real serious after I had to pay my way. Even better would be taking off several years and work at some crappy job so you know why you want to go to school (or not.)
And $50K isn't enough money for one person to live in poverty in the bay area, remember the government takes half your check before you get it. mad.gif
Porcharu
I thought I needed to clear something up before I sound like an A-hole (might be to late.) My definition of poor means just enough to get by on if your frugal. No off campus house with a big screen tv and a hot tub for example (one of my friends had this in school.) Going to college should not be fun it should be four years of hard work that you are glad to be done with. It just gets better after entering the real world - don't put it off. biggrin.gif
alpha434
Yeah. Sorry guys. Thats a tough subject for me. You're all right to a point. It IS character building and makes real life much better in contrast. But... It would be the best idea to have money saved for your kid. Maybe college just turns out to be too much for them plus work. I see a lot of people drop out for that reason. But making them pay a third or some really reasonable amount would be fair. As long as you can be there to help them when they're getting their a$$ kicked with the workload.

And thanks for the support, Howard. I'm not the only one here whos done it though. Most all of us have felt my way at one point for one reason or another. smilie_pokal.gif

And I DID manage to buy my second porsche. That's something, I guess. Oh. But at the cost of furniture in my apartment. An investment well worth it.
TROJANMAN
wavey.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.