Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone in the bay area got a rotessarie.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_1.8t
Hey, I need a rotessarie to move on with my project and was thinking about building one.

But, before I do...wanted to see if someone in the bay area has one they are not using or want to get rid of. Let me know...thanks.
Cap'n Krusty
I would gladly sell you the one I have. $400 I'm not that far away! The Cap'n
McMark
Got any pictures Cap'n?
neo914-6
Sonu,

If you make one with engine stands, you can "borrow" mine after I get my 350 off of it. (I doubt I will need it again). You can also borrow my cherry picker if you need that to get it up on the rotisserie. (Also won't needing it for awhile).

Are you going to strip the complete tub?
914_1.8t
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Jan 25 2006, 06:13 PM)
Sonu,

If you make one with engine stands, you can "borrow" mine after I get my 350 off of it. (I doubt I will need it again). You can also borrow my cherry picker if you need that to get it up on the rotisserie. (Also won't needing it for awhile).

Are you going to strip the complete tub?

Cap'n: Thanks for the offer I will consider it.

Thanks Felix, I'll give you a call and talk about it. I'm planning on fabing a roll/cage - semi-tube chassis. May even convert rear to A-arm type suspension.

And update on the car: I finally took her out for a spin today...man it feels great. I was amazed at the handling (my first time really getting on it in a teener). Didn't drive it too far as I havn't made opening for the radiator yet. Too bad i'm putting in the garage to move forward to the project...part of me wants to drive it around for a while the way it is.

Here she is before her first REAL drive:
914_1.8t
Another:
914_1.8t
And into the garage ready for her surgery:
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 25 2006, 05:28 PM)
Got any pictures Cap'n?

No. Ask Mark Britell tomorrow. The Cap'n
914_1.8t
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 25 2006, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 25 2006, 05:28 PM)
Got any pictures Cap'n?

No. Ask Mark Britell tomorrow. The Cap'n

I'd like to see the pics as well...
neo914-6
Wow, finally on the road!!! driving.gif

That's quite an achievement! smilie_pokal.gif
jonwatts
I was just about to ask the same question about a local rotisserie.

I haven't priced one out (Britain?) but with the current cost of materials the Cap'n's might be a steal.

I think I'm just going to make a rolling rig that attaches to the suspension points so I can get everything off the car but still move it.

Mueller
I went by the local (sorta, in Santa Clara) metal recycle place today to purchase some ø1.875 and ø3.500 round stock for some 914 project parts smash.gif

they had these steel parts in the 55 gallon can, they wanted $2 a pound (68 pounds each), but cash talks there smile.gif

approx size is 5"x5".......I think 2 of them would work fine for the uprights....
Porcharu
Have you priced out steel lately??? I't is unreal - gone up over 100% in the last year or so. I just went to the local steel place to pick up some round tube for my 914 dolly and about crapped myself $20 for 4' of 2-1/2 090 wall erw tubing and another $20 for a little chunk of 1/4" by 4" strap.
It's probably cheaper to buy 2 engine stands and mod them a bit.
914_1.8t
I'll probobly stop by fremont steel on Monday and price it out.

I may pick up two of these and modify..... welder.gif
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=32915
Porcharu
QUOTE (914_1.8t @ Jan 28 2006, 01:57 AM)
I'll probobly stop by fremont steel on Monday and price it out.

I may pick up two of these and modify..... welder.gif
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=32915

You couldn't buy half the steel for the price they are selling those at. Then add the castors. Great deal, but don't even think about hanging a 750lb engine on one of those.
jonwatts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but not for a full rotisserie, just a rolling car dolly that's higher than your average jackstand.

Porcharu
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jan 28 2006, 01:35 PM)
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but not for a full rotisserie, just a rolling car dolly that's higher than your average jackstand.

I'm finishing my 914 dolly right now (in a minute or two just taken a break right now.) Want it when I'm done using it in a few months?
neo914-6
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jan 28 2006, 01:35 PM)

Why not wood?
Porcharu
Wood doesn't rust!!!! wink.gif
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (srbliss @ Jan 29 2006, 01:44 AM)
Wood doesn't rust!!!! wink.gif

Planning on making one out of wood. Couple of reasons, but the main one is I dont have a welder....
Mueller
Hey Sonu,

try freecycle.org, it's a free service for people giving away stuff and people looking for stuff smile.gif

On the Fremont site, I'm hoping to hear back from someone giving away a metal cart.

You can post a "Wanted" thread for metal or engine stand or something like that.

I'd try craigslist as well, sometime people just want this stuff out of thier garage and will give it away.

If you have a vivid imagination, my picture might make sense smile.gif screwy.gif

find a couple of rear diffs from a car or truck, cut and weld....
Mueller
make from a few of these....I'd think you should be able to find these free or dirt, dirt cheap...

neo914-6
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 30 2006, 09:11 AM)
find a couple of rear diffs from a car or truck, cut and weld....

get one with posi laugh.gif
914_1.8t
Good idea Mike....I will look into that as well. I need to have one done within 2 weeks...hopefully I can find the parts on there...if not, HF enfine thingy's will have to do.
Mueller
Hey Sonu, busy today?

if not, I'll offer some bartering smile.gif

I could use another hand in the garage building some storage cabinets....and I've got some metal for you...the tire rack off my trailer which is just sitting on the side of the yard...the tubes are I think 1.25x1.25

I'm trying to upload a picture, but no luck, I might be able to send one from my phone to your yahoo account...

give me a call if interested...
jonwatts
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Jan 28 2006, 04:19 PM)

Why not wood?

Well, wood wouldn't be a very good starter project to get to know my new welder. biggrin.gif
And with the engine stands I think it would be easy to make a tilt-dolly that gives you all the range of motion you really need for most chassis work and a good paint job, without making a full rotisserie (how often do you really need to go upside down.

Steve Bliss, thanks for the offer but I need to do this soon, like next week.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.