Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plexiglass rear window.............
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
Plexi rear window, who has done one? and how much weight did it save? Have you scratched it yet?

Thanx in advance. Marv huh.gif
Rough_Rider
Weighed exactly 50% of the original. Although can't remember what glass piece weighed, think 8-10lb

Hasn't scratched yet, after a year. Did add 2 reinforcing aluminium straps on the off chance that if i do have a big spin ending up going backwords at big speed the plexi won't pop into the cabin.

MoveQik
Joe has one on his 914RS. Check out his progress thread from a while back. I'm sure there are details about it.
Series9
Here ya go. It's held in with the aluminum strips and is working nicely.

byndbad914
how much was the rear window?
where did you get it from?
How about front windshield?

I am starting a tube chassis car and was just talking about converting to plexi windows at lunch today!

Thanks,
Tim
Series9
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Jan 25 2006, 08:36 PM)

I am starting a tube chassis car and was just talking about converting to plexi windows at lunch today!

Thanks,
Tim

I made it. About $40.

Windshields are much more complicated and about $500.
dlo914
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 25 2006, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Jan 25 2006, 08:36 PM)

Thanks,
Tim

I made it. About $40.

Windshields are much more complicated and about $500.

HD Racing wink.gif *hint* Home Depot lol2.gif
campbellcj
FWIW lexan (polycarbonate) is preferable and I think required vs. plexiglass (acrylic) for many track organizations due to its superior properties in breaking and burning kinds of situations...

I picked up the materials at a local supply place in Canoga Park. It's pretty cheap.
brant
I have one that is slightly under "thickness" for weight.
and its not mandatory (unless your rules require it) to have the bracing straps.

with the proper mounting hardware, they are good for over 150... I take this number from watching the shop that sold me mine and their cars that actually do this regularly.

I've got pics of mine in my "vintage" thread in my sig.

brant
alpha434
Brant needs a Colorado 914 banner!
campbellcj
QUOTE (brant @ Jan 26 2006, 10:58 PM)
I have one that is slightly under "thickness" for weight.
and its not mandatory (unless your rules require it) to have the bracing straps.

with the proper mounting hardware, they are good for over 150... I take this number from watching the shop that sold me mine and their cars that actually do this regularly.

I've got pics of mine in my "vintage" thread in my sig.

brant

agree.gif I've not have any probs with mine in street or track use thus far. I'll install alum. straps if 'somebody' makes me per a rule book I care about, but otherwise it really does not seem necessary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.