Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got hit by a crotch rocket today...*PICS*
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
Was just making a left turn from a stop sign when I noticed a crotch rocket coming from the left side. I hadnt even exited the crosswalk lines by the time I stopped, tried to reverse to avoid him, but not fast enough.

He locked up his rear brake, laid the bike down, and slid a couple feet and his the front left as shown.

Sadly, I beleive it was just an inexperienced rider. Gentlemen in his late 40's early 50's on a brand new 1000cc+ Suzuki street bike. I helped him up, walked him over to the curb. Then picked up his bike, and walked it over to the side of the road.

skip a couple minutes, 4 cop car,s 1 fire engine, and a paramedics. arrive.

Paramedics told me it was only minor injuries, possible a sprained ankle, and some bruises, but no broken limbs for the biker. I was completely fine.

At the moment of contact, I was stopped, and the rider was going around 5-10mph.

I am under the impression that I am not at fault, since I didnt receive any citations after the officers went over the scene.

I only have liability on my car, so I am waiting to see what happens.

Was rather hard to capture the damage. and yes, I know the camera's settings are way off, didnt care to adjust...

Large dent in chrome bumper on drivers side, some knicks in rubber top, and valance has a gash and some large dents as well.
rpmmaxxed
a s d f
rpmmaxxed
the little guy with a finger was an accident, a-s-d-f results in that I guess.
rpmmaxxed
asfd
rpmmaxxed
qwerty
rpmmaxxed
sdfg
rpmmaxxed
dsfg
rpmmaxxed
forgot pic
rpmmaxxed
some glamour shots
rpmmaxxed
hgf
Aaron Cox
insurance just bought you a NEW early chrome bumper and Bumperpad...

and a valence of your choice tongue.gif
rpmmaxxed
a s d f
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 26 2006, 02:19 PM)
insurance just bought you a NEW early chrome bumper and Bumperpad...

and a valence of your choice tongue.gif

laugh.gif Thats what im gonna pull for

I cannot find anything that could somehow put me at fault.
SLITS
TAKE NOTICE....YELLOW FASTER CARS ARE TARGETS THIS WEEK....TAKE NOTICE

You don't have to worry Aaron, yours is afro-american..
Root_Werks
Looks minor.

Be glad the guy on the bike didn't really hurt himself. Even though not your fault, PITA to deal with and explain like 100 times over.

Yeah, looks like a new bumper for you! smile.gif
rpmmaxxed
I was glad to hear that his injuries were minor. Hopefully wont be with him for long.

Waiting to hear back from the reporting officer.
MoveQik
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 26 2006, 02:26 PM)

You beat me to it. My yellow car is staying in the garage until the week is over.
dinomium
everybody limps away is a good result for a car versus auto smash up any day!

rpmmaxxed
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 26 2006, 02:26 PM)

Same Corvette Yellow as Toasts to... sad.gif
rpmmaxxed
what kind of dollar value would new bumper, bumper pad, and valance go for?
rpmmaxxed
is this the same valance my damaged one?

OEM Lower Front Valance, Prime Coated Steel, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1970-76), 914-6 (1970-72), Each
  Brand: Genuine Porsche
914-503-121-10-OEM $363.75

Off of pelican*

Forgot to mentioned that my reasoning for assuming his inexperience was the end result, that could have easily been avoided by an experience rider, and his attire.

Black leather dress shoes, dress slacks, and a very thin wind breaker(I happen to have the same one he was wearing).
Aaron Cox
yes and then you get paid to have it painted biggrin.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (rpmmaxxed @ Jan 26 2006, 04:26 PM)

Bumper, used needing rechrome, - $400 - $500 ($100 for straight bumper, $300 for rechrome). $300 used hopefully if you can find a good one. They are not a real good candidate for straightening.

Bumper Pad.....new $265 from aasesales on eBay...so $300

Valence....fiberglass...$150 stock style, $100 LE style. metal ones....have no idea, never really seen a straight one.

rpmmaxxed
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 26 2006, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (rpmmaxxed @ Jan 26 2006, 04:26 PM)

Bumper, used needing rechrome, - $400 - $500 ($100 for straight bumper, $300 for rechrome). $300 used hopefully if you can find a good one. They are not a real good candidate for straightening.

Bumper Pad.....new $265 from aasesales on eBay...so $300

Valence....fiberglass...$150 stock style, $100 LE style. metal ones....have no idea, never really seen a straight one.

Posted By Aaron Cox: Jan 26 2006, 03:33 PM

yes and then you get paid to have it painted  

Thanks for the $$ tips guys, hope to hear from either the officer or his insurance by the weekend.

rpmmaxxed
How long should I expect to wait to hear from the gentlements insurance company?
alpha434
You should be able to call them whenever. And just be careful that they don't decide to buy your car from you.

And what are you doing with the old bumper? I want one.
boxstr
New bumper $500. Pad $235. and valance Probably won't find new $100. I would go witha LE spoiler.
CCLINGETITDONE
jbegood2000
AA has new bumbers for $800.00 a pair...got that in a junk e-mail from AA a few weeks ago...just said pads available no price given.
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 26 2006, 04:51 PM)
You should be able to call them whenever. And just be careful that they don't decide to buy your car from you.

And what are you doing with the old bumper? I want one.

Dontcha worry, im not sellin the car for a loooong time.

As for the valance. Pelican quoted me $363 for a factory replacement, gonna have to use that as a reference...

Gonna give officer a call tomorrow to get the gentlemens contact information. I wanna settle this as fast as possible.
Mugs914
Dude! Sorry you got tagged... glad the guy is okay...

Yer seats get here yet?

JmuRiz
Not to flame or anything but,
Were you turning left and he was going straight and t-boned you? If so, that's not really his fault is it? Unless you were turning left and he was trying to pass you on the left, in the same direction of travel, or if he ran a redlight/stopsign.
Sorry, just reading about a bike vs. car crash has me thinking...since I'm a motorcycle rider myself. Our greatest fear is a car pulling out in front of us, yikes!
rpmmaxxed
I was turning left, and he hit the front of my car. I had only moved forward 10 feet before I had come to a complete stop, and saw him coming. from the moment I saw him, he was within 100ft traveling at max 20mph, there was no oncoming traffic for him, and a VERY slight lean to the left would have avoided my car. Rider panicked, locked up the rear brake, and laid the bike down.

I was still within the crosswalk lines...

sure hope I am not found at fault...
JmuRiz
Yep, sounds like he freaked out a bit...just needed to roll on the throttle and lean left and it would have been over.....or jam on the front brake more, at that speed a sportbike can stop in a couple feet!
Just checking biggrin.gif
tdgray
No offense Richard... but how is this accident not deemed your fault?

You pulled out in front of him right? Or did I read this wrong confused24.gif
norustscott
yes ...I think you will be sighted as contributing to the accident. I would expect the bikers insurance company to contest this. did you have a stop sign...red light?...yield sign? Sounds like it will be determined that you failed to yield right of way....be careful how you present your case.
messix
what i understand is that he never entered the intersection. the motorcyclist lost control and laid it down striking his car in the front.
mikerose
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Jan 27 2006, 07:48 AM)
Not to flame or anything but,
Were you turning left and he was going straight and t-boned you?  If so, that's not really his fault is it?  Unless you were turning left and he was trying to pass you on the left, in the same direction of travel, or if he ran a redlight/stopsign.
Sorry, just reading about a bike vs. car crash has me thinking...since I'm a motorcycle rider myself.  Our greatest fear is a car pulling out in front of us, yikes!

chair.gif agree.gif Sorry but I ride also

Mike cool_shades.gif
Toast
The same sinerio happend with me (except I was t-boned by a toyota tacoma in my VW beetle). Except the police took my statement and turned it around saying I made a left hand turn in front of somebody who was comming toward me, not the truth that the person was comming at me from my right.
The other party was injured, yet I was the only one that went to the hospital. The other party were not wearing their seat belts and both adults and two children that were in the cab of this pickup huh.gif went through the windshield. ohmy.gif

Yet no citations were given. huh.gif
There was a big circle around the police officer and they were all talking spanish (including the officer) and they kept glancing at me with dirty looks. WTF.gif

Because the police report stated I was at fault because I did not yield while I was making a left turn, the insurance company would do nothing for my totaled VW. I even submitted pictures that the damage to my VW clearly could not have happened if the vehicles were going the direction as stated on the police report.
I also made an adendum to the police report and submitted one to the insurance co.

Didn't matter, I got screwed!

People that were on the sidewalk were crying pain and trying to get involved in the scam. And a couple of cars that were around were claiming damages. mad.gif

The next year the people that ran the red light and side-swipped me tried comming after me for "cosmetic (facial surgery) damages. But satue of limitations had ran out a few days before they filed their claim. rolleyes.gif

**RANT OVER**

Sorry about that.

Hope you get your 914 fixed, NOT at your expense, and glad you are ok!
mueba.gif
dmenche914
AA has some fairly rare NOS stuff, get a written quote from them for a new bumper set up, and also a quote to have any dent repaired, and quote for bumper installation. Get it in writting, and submit copies. AA has been good about written quotes for NOS stuff that needed replacement .

good luck
rpmmaxxed
I will have to get a pic of where the incident occured.

My car had not left the crosswalk line markers by the time that I came a complete stop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.