Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can "regular" Koni Yellows be run upsidedown?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
While waiting for my dinner to cool down, I quickly sketched up a design to mount my rear Konis upside down.........

But can they be run upside down or are they designed to be mounted "mostly" in the upright position??

Just another question to make you go "hmmmmmm?" smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Where would the oil sit ?? It wouldnt "climb" into the valve under compression.

B
Mueller
That is why I asked, I'm not too up to date on how the shocks are built. I know that upside shocks (Koni's) are available for the rear of 944's, but I'm guessing the internals are built that way.
Brad Roberts
Oh.. dont even think I am a shock guru.. I was just asking another question. I know they have oil and I know that it travels thru small holes that we can adjust.

B
ChrisFoley
I think only high pressure gas shocks can be run upside down. If I am not mistaken, front Bilsteins are upside down inside the housing.
Jeroen
did you check www.koni.com ?
they have quite some good info there (not sure if it's the info you need though)
IIRC there are some "generic" dampers from koni that work upsidedown (or either way), but those were specifically designed to work that way...

cheers,

Jeroen
TimT
No you cant run them upside down, Like Brad said the oil will run to the bottom of the shock and be on the wrong side of the valves...
Koni does make shocks you can run upside down, like the 3012, you need a clevis to be able to use the eye-eye shocks in the rear of a 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.