Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone know
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ehick72
Seeing all the different configurations we have at our disposal with these cars, I would think with 914's weight (or lack there of I should say)could result in a very high top speed. Any thoughts on this subject? What is highest speed a 914 has ever gone and what was in it?
Aaron Cox
ive seen an SCTA 914 go really fast across a lakebed smile.gif
Trevorg7
I did 80 in mine this morning.

smilie_pokal.gif

T
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Trevorg7 @ Jan 27 2006, 12:02 PM)

smilie_pokal.gif

T

thats traffic speed down here wink.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (Trevorg7 @ Jan 27 2006, 11:02 AM)

smilie_pokal.gif

T

i did 92 smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
bd1308
I've had my frankenstien 74 1.7 with L-jet up to 95-100...

it was fun!

b
d914
on or off jack stands biggrin.gif

140mph track car 2.5 six
ehick72
I've had my frankenstien 74 1.7 with L-jet up to 95-100...

it was fun!

Man....that gives me hope!!!
SLITS
565 MPH shocked[1].gif

In the belly of a freighter!
lapuwali
Weight has almost no effect on top speed. Aerodynamic drag and HP are what determine top speed. The real answer has to depend on exactly how you define "914". There have been a number of very highly modified 914s with monster engines that have gone very fast indeed, but they generally don't have much left of the original 914 in them.

I would expect a stock 2.0, top on, lowered a tad, to be able to do 110-115mph (actual, not speedo lies). A nice 2270 could probably reach 125 or so. 914s don't have great aerodynamics stock, and you start running into serious front-end lift problems at higher speeds.
alpha434
what are you guy crazy? I can get my 1.8 up to 90 in a corner! Ive done 120 down the I-25 HOV lanes.

AND weight doesn't effect top speed, just rate of acceleration. The biggest factor at spped is drag. Al a NASCAR. To get to 120, I even was riding the wall. Sneaky sneaky.
alpha434
Oh yeah. That was with speedo inaccuracy. so +/- 10%
SLITS
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 27 2006, 12:16 PM)
what are you guy crazy? I can get my 1.8 up to 90 in a corner! Ive done 120 down the I-25 HOV lanes.

AND weight doesn't effect top speed, just rate of acceleration. The biggest factor at spped is drag. Al a NASCAR. To get to 120, I even was riding the wall. Sneaky sneaky.

Dreamer.........what RPM did you show on the Tach?

AND

What size tire you running?
SirAndy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 27 2006, 11:16 AM)
914s don't have great aerodynamics stock

i beg to differ. if i recall the factory numbers correct, the stock 914 beats the 930 turbo by a few decimal points.

i, for one, think that's pretty damm good!
cool_shades.gif Andy
alpha434
thats 6000 in 5th. You don't get any faster then that. And they're stock tires. If you really don't belive me, then fly out here and I'll show you first hand. I've been pulled over so many times for doing some completely irrational speed that it's not even funny. Good thing I'm just a kid. And I think orange distracts radar gun operators.
msglaigaie
I cannot find my documentation, but I beleive the KREMER 914-6 race car exeeded 200mph on the track. Now this great speed could not be maintained for more than a few laps but it gave the the winning edge the needed at that time. This was a highly modified 914, orange in color. I remeber it because the wing he used on the rear deck was a piece of the blade from a UH-1 helicopter. I will keep rummeging through my references untill I come up with the books. MSG L
SLITS
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 27 2006, 12:28 PM)
thats 6000 in 5th. You don't get any faster then that. And they're stock tires. If you really don't belive me, then fly out here and I'll show you first hand. I've been pulled over so many times for doing some completely irrational speed that it's not even funny. Good thing I'm just a kid. And I think orange distracts radar gun operators.

First, you nailed it...you're a kid and I wouldn't ride with you for any reason....

I just ask a couple of questions...

stock tires huh? what's the stock tire you are running? What's the rolling diameter?

And, if you pulled 6K, you either have the engine boosted up or you were going down the face of Lizard Peak......

Not that I disbelieve you or anything!
propricer
Like Greg D., I've had my full race prepared 6 doing 140 plus down the front straight at Willow Springs.
alpha434
Getting that kind of speed going somewhat downhill on a dead enclosed straightaway shouldn't be that unreasonable. I'll make a home movie about it. And everyone should use the i-25 hov lane to test their cars. Even the tracks around here aren't that flat. And don't forget the enclosure on two sides. You'd be hard pressed to ever get sideways that way.

And I can't go check the tire diameter. I'm in class.
grantsfo
I have gone just past 120 MPH on an empty flat section of HWY 205 in my 1.8. After that it pretty much hit the aerodynamic wall.
Midtowner
Approaching 130mph downhill on newly paved westbound I-80 dropping into Vallejo at 2:00 am in 1980 when I was 19. Front end started to float. Very stupid on my part and highly not recommended. wacko.gif
alpha434
Yeah. Thats a problem. I lowered my front end to scrape the ground first. It still lifted a little. There was a little hill and I absolutely had to let off.
Bill Shaw
118 in Thunder Valley at Road America; stock 2 litre; 195/65 tires. Speed shown on a radar gun. Scared myself s**tless when I realized how hard I had to brake for the corner. Wait'll I get the 2056 built!
SGB
118 sounds about right. Riding 205/60s, lowered on flat surface, with 2 liters, 40 idf webers & mild "street" webcam, mallory, and ssi exhaust I can see about 129 or 130 on the speedo, which I figure is no more than 115. I'm guessing the windshield is pretty steep and the separation at the rear is poor, which would dramatically increase power demand as speed increased.
SLITS
205/65s.....stock rolling diameter of 25.4"....down an incline....indicating 5500 on the tach....125 on the speedo before it broke....I haven't calculated the actual speed.

In Mexico on the coast road (new).
sjhowitson
Got my 6 up to 2 mph pushing it into the garage last weekend. The weight was a factor .
URY914
I've got a piture of a 914 that was run at Bonneville. Don't know when or how fast but if it held a record there must be a website somewhere with the details on it. I'll post the pic tonight
Rand
QUOTE (sjhowitson @ Jan 27 2006, 01:49 PM)
Got my 6 up to 2 mph pushing it into the garage last weekend.  The weight was a factor .

laugh.gif

Alpha, get off the board and pay attention. You're in class. biggrin.gif But you can get back to us later on that tire diameter.
Part Pricer

Do a Google search for Fastest 914

You'll see your answer in the first result.

Jake Raby
I've done 140 and that was VERY scary... I did it before I made the mods to my suspension or brakes and would not like to try it again...
Aaron Cox
did a nice solid 100 with a 40 mph headwind...

rear end floats and gets SCARY.......

i have indicated 120 which is about ~110.
KELTY360
Indicated 110 with a '74 Bumblebee on a bridge across the Columbia River out of Astoria, OR. The river divides OR & WA so I don't know who had jurisdiction, but I was glad there was no trooper sitting with radar at the end of the bridge.
siverson
155 with the 3.6 and '84 915 (very tall stock gearing). The gearing/tires/7200 red line will take it to 170 mph (if there is enough power, not sure...?) but there is no way I'd feel comfortable going much faster without some improved aerodynamics.

My car feels fine for short bursts to 140, but much faster isn't very confidence inspiring. For those of you who know San Diego, leaving MB/PB and taking the 8 east to 5 south in the middle of the night is the perfect "top speed run". smile.gif

-Steve
wbergtho
How fast will a 914 go? Hmmm...I raced two crotch rockets from an exit ramp on I-35E in St. Paul, Mn last summer and was traveling at over 170 mph. I was still accelerating but had to lift because of traffic up ahead and the fact that the speed limit drops to 45mph in that particular area. I beat the bikes thoroughly (1000cc Yamahas) and they eventually pulled up and couldn't believe what had just happened. At that time I had a 425 HP LS1 in my car...but I decided to drop a built (all forged & balanced internals) LS6 w/ CNC big valve LS6 heads, .605 lift custom Comp Cam, custom equal length headers, custom ram air induction and other "go fast goodies". The new motor dynoed 500HP at Doug Rippie Motorsports. Doug told me that my headers need to be refabbed with bigger stepped up tubes to allow the cam to do its job. He thinks I'll have 520-530HP with bigger headers, more tuning and a larger throttle body. Hell, we even talked about a 200 shot of nitrous....where does it end?
wbergtho
A pic of my death trap
airsix
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 27 2006, 11:28 AM)
thats 6000 in 5th. You don't get any faster then that. And they're stock tires. If you really don't belive me, then fly out here and I'll show you first hand.

I'm sorry there kiddo, but no stock 914 every saw 6,000rpm in 5th unless the clutch was slipping. laugh.gif You're an engineering student - do the math. It's not possible for a 90hp 914 to go that fast on flat ground.

-Ben M.
Eric_Shea
This could be related to Aaron's Kremer thread...

Also... sign me up for the 'I ain't buy'n the 6000 RPM stock teener club' (fabulous story though) laugh.gif
BIGKAT_83
agree.gif bs.gif

Bob
URY914
here ya go...
URY914
Fastest 914...

URY914
Slowest 914

(I crack myself up) laugh.gif
sean_v8_914
with a whopping 14 HP it just might have a better HP to weight ratio than a 914 biggrin.gif
sportlicherFahrer
I like to leave the fast straight line stuff for the domestic guys. Going fast around corners is much more apealing and takes a lot more skill IMHO. But if you ask, my '75 1.8 bone stock 170K mile L-jet saw about 117MPH on the speedo with 195-60's on a VERY slight slope. My current car gets roughly the same, it just gets there a little quicker. Come to think of it, I havent tried it with the Triad and 'modified" stock intake yet. Might be a little more but not much. Think the L-jet was spinning around 5400 RPM at that speed though.
wbergtho
6000 rpm in a stock teener in 5th....Not gonna happen.
Rand
I've been smelling hints of stromberg.gif from several of alpha434's posts lately. Maybe I'm not alone.

Never mind, that's just my own BO. laugh.gif

Ok. Keep it real.
URY914
QUOTE (Rand @ Jan 27 2006, 11:35 PM)
I've been smelling hints of stromberg.gif from several of alpha434's posts lately. Maybe I'm not alone.

Never mind, that's just my own BO. laugh.gif

Ok. Keep it real.

agree.gif
Eric_Shea
with a whopping 14 HP it just might have a better HP to weight ratio than a 914

Maybe the Alphster could get it up to 140 on the #3 fairway at Augusta laugh.gif
Lou W
URY914 Posted on Jan 28 2006, 04:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (Rand @ Jan 27 2006, 11:35 PM)
I've been smelling hints of  from several of alpha434's posts lately. Maybe I'm not alone.

Never mind, that's just my own BO.

Ok. Keep it real.  

Ahh, innocence of youth. biggrin.gif
Thorshammer
My 2.0 EP Six ran 141 at Watkins Glen, coming out of the draft. on the back straight. But it won't go any faster than that. It actually slowed down when I cam eout of the draft from behind the viper I was going to outbrake. It has never gone that fast by itself, just won't pull any more gear.

Erik
gfulcher
About four or five years ago, when my 2.6L Big Four was in top health and my '72 had somewhat largish diameter tires (205 70 R15) and a slightly lowered suspension, I pegged the needle to the backside of the pin it rests on at rest. This is on a 120mph Speedo, for the record. Had about 1000 RPM left to go, but determined that whatever speed it was, was approaching too fast for the car and road surface.

The 2.6 (R-I-P) loved to go - especially after 3000 RPM up 'till redline, which occured somewhere around 7200. Combined with the somewhat meaty tires, the car had long legs.

I do know that the speedometer was accurate within 2 or 3 mph, based on several clockings with a cop's radar gun (a friend of mine). I asked him to clock me at an indicated 30 / 40 / 60. Assuming that the speedo has a linear reading, the backside of the pin would be somewhere around 145mph..

I had to replace my rear wheel bearings after that, and don't particularly care to push the car to those speeds again. Careful out there.. The 914 experiences all sorts of lift up front at high speeds, not to mention the pinheads sharing the road.

This "experiment" DID NOT HAPPEN on Route 93 South, exiting Franconia Notch in the White Mountains of NH. The road also DOES NOT have a solid mile+ of slight-downhill visibility, guardrails on each side, no curves or turnouts and no visibility from the northbound stretch. It wasn't fun, either.

-greg-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.