Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 CV Joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tyler
I had a joint come apart with, thankfully, no damage. It looked like the 4 capscrews just loosened up and separated the joint. Before I replace the bent cap screws and put it back together, I thought I'd ask for the following info from the experts:
1. What should they be torqued to?
2. Should they have lockwashers?
3. How about installing a lockwire thru the 4?
Thanks
DNHunt
I believe they are 31 lb ft. They take a washer called a Schnoor washer. I know they are available at Pelican.

Dave
r_towle
my race car had lock wires on them..I have lost one at 30 mph...it was not fun...

I agree with racing wire through the bolt.

There is a thread here or on pelican that shows how...

And yes, get new washers, the right kind, and clean and torque to spec.

Rich
hmeeder
I believe they are 31 lb ft. They take a washer called a Schnoor washer

agree.gif
lincoln
drivers side? thats the one i had work itself loose, what i did - that so FAR has worked- is i hit them with locktight red and added regular lockwashers - replacement bolts came off a bug trans so were slightly longer anyways- then torqued the hell out of them- just to be on the safe side tho im carrying an allen wrench in my pocket and i check them everytime i get ready to go somewhere- only takes a minute to check- takes hours to fix if they come out again

IF they come loose again , i will be going with an ARP grade 8 or better thru bolt and lockwashers and locknuts and possibly wire
john rogers
Being the paranoid racer that I am, I lock wire mine and also the bolts are slightly longer and have jam nuts on the backside of the flange.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.