Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trevorg7
Tuesday - clutch cable snaps.

Thursday - Speedo stops working.

Today - I get in my car for the ride home from the office and the car will not turn over. Odd. all power is fine; lights, radio, fuel pump is pumping but nothing at the key. I recall from starting it in the morning on the way in that the first key turn didn't start the car.

I'd love to fix it before breakfest tomorrow so I can meet up with the gang in Fremont.

Thoughts?

Starter? Or did I read somewhere that there is a plastic piece in or around the key tumbler that goes out?

I push started the car and got home.

Let me know what you think.

T
Pugbug
When you turned the key did you here a click from the selenoid on the starter? If not it may be just stuck. Sometimes a good tap on the selenoid will do the trick and free it up until you change it. Happened to me on more than one vehicle.
If no click then it may be a bad connection to the starter, or your starter needs attention.
Start with the simple stuff...clean all connections first including the battery....Make sure your ground is ok on the transaxle also.
J P Stein
Buy some jackstands & threaten the sumbitch with permanent
elevation & entrail pullings.
JoeSharp
clean all the grounds. (at the batterie, the ground strap at the tranny, the body grounds at the circut board and the batterie), and checK the conections at the starter. Last if all that does not produce the desired reslutes check to see if it needs a hot start relay.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
racerx7

When you say lights. do you mean the main headlights? It does not take much power to turn the little lights in the car,
but it does take a lot of current to run the headlights.

If your headlights go on. There is a good chance you have a enough voltage to start you motor. This test is not 100%
A voltmeter on your battery while your turning over the engine is a much better test.

If your battery is good. What everybody else said is a good place to start.

have someone hit the starter while you are turning over the engine with the key. If that works your started is done.
replace it. If that does not work. Look for the simple quick fix. battery cables, grounds etc.. If all that looks ok.
Pull out at the voltmeter and start doing voltage drop test.

MecGen
Hey

At least owning a 914 keeps us in shape smash.gif

I push started the car and got home

Try this, fast and easy, better with a helper.

Use a test lite across the battery, checking for voltage, then put the key to crank This tests the battery under load.
Leave the test lite on the possitive side of the battery, and put the other side to the engine block, key to crank This tests the ground.
Jack up the car and put the test lite between the Trans and big HOT wire at the solinoid (should be on top), check for voltage. Be Safe. Tests voltage at starter.
Move the test lite to the small "signal" wire at the starter, and move the key to crank. Be Safe. Tests the signal voltage.

I hate to be mothering anybody... chatsmiley.gif but please be aware that the motor can kick over at any time, remember to leave it in nutral, and watch your fingers.

These are quick test lite tests but its a good start.

Later

beer.gif

Trevorg7
Thanks all. I have a list and I goin' in.

T
Trevorg7
When through the list and now the car starts.

It appears the hammer to the starter application worked best. beerchug.gif

Grounds, volts, etc all good. Once I hit the starter it clicked as though it was stuck.

Is this a tail tale sign of the starter going out? If so best option to replace?

Thanks

T
Pugbug
Your starter may be ok.....Might just need a selenoid....Best to check it all though to avoid future problems.
racerx7
QUOTE (Pugbug @ Jan 28 2006, 02:33 PM)
Your starter may be ok.....Might just need a selenoid....Best to check it all though to avoid future problems.

I have not owned or worked on a 914 since 1986. Can you seperate the solenoid from the starter?

I know some fords had the solenoid seperate from the starter.
I thought on the 914 the solenoid was built into the starter.

On most cars if you car will start after you bang on the starter,
you need to replace the starter. If the solenoid is indeed on
the starter and serviceable I bet most shops would also
just replace the whole starter and ship it.
Rand
Here's what they look like - solenoid external. Disregard the arrows. (Unless it fails again and shorting across there with a screwdriver makes it crank... in which case you can figure it's probably a cracked ignition switch or bad connection at the seatbelt relay.)

user posted image
racerx7
QUOTE (Rand @ Jan 28 2006, 04:22 PM)
Here's what they look like - solenoid external. Disregard the arrows. (Unless it fails again and shorting across there with a screwdriver makes it crank... in which case you can figure it's probably a cracked ignition switch or bad connection at the seatbelt relay.)

user posted image

What he said. If you car can start your car with the screw driver trick, not banging. then it is a electrical issue somewhere. Ignition switch,wire, etc...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.