Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vendor listing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
matt's question about a good (and cheap) place to buy fiberglass stuff just reminded me, should we have a vendor-list? where everyone can post links or addresses to vendors (somewhat porsche related)?
like a address-book ...

A.I.R., American International Racing
Fiberglass and Carbon-Fiber replacement body components for Porsche
9830- 2 San Fernando Rd.
Pacoima, Ca. 91331
Phone: (818) 890-5878
Fax: (818) 890-4289
http://www.americaninternationalracing.com/

EASY, European Auto Salvage Yard
Porsche Parts and Accessories
4060 Harlan Street
Emeryville, CA 94608
tel.: 510 653-3279
http://www.easypor.com/

HPH, High Performance House
Porsche Parts and Accessories, complete Service and Repairs, Race preparation
2431 Spring Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
tel.: 650 364-6234
http://www.highperformancehouse.com/

you get the idea. what do you think?
Andy
URY914
Andy
Good idea.

Paul
bernbomb914
I like it. It wouldsave a lot of time for the members who are shopping for different items.
Jeroen
A good idea. And since we are a vendor independent operation, we could add a rating system too.

cheers,

Jeroen
echocanyons
I like the idea

User friendly is key, I like how this one is set up:

http://356registry.org/Ads/vendorlink.html
seanery
Yup, that one works pretty well.
boxstr
Great idea, I think it would be best if you can include as much info, address, ph # contact person, what they sell or manufacture blah blah before you post to the list.
Craig
Alfred
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Feb 13 2003, 06:00 PM)
A good idea. And since we are a vendor independent operation, we could add a rating system too.

cheers,

Jeroen

I think the vendor rating system is a good idea too. Jeroen, I'm curious, where do you buy your 914 parts - Mittelmotor?

Alfred
EdwardBlume
ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

We should absolutely have a vendor program.

Everyone here knows the process of finding the various channels out there, but it takes a while to gain that knowledge and the lessons can take lots of cash.

A rating system is an excellent idea as well. Keeps the folks out there honest.

Let's do it!

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Jeroen
Hey Alfred,

Mittelmotor seems to be a good source for 914 parts
I haven't dealt with them myself but generally have heard good things about them from people who have

I'll prolly end up buying some of their stuff sooner or later...

cheers,

Jeroen
J P Stein
It's a good idea.

I was also thinkin' (uh oh) that a product review section written by listers would be a gud thing.

You know " I got this here widget fer a shit load of money and had to beat the crap outta it to get it on" type thing.

or

Harbor Freight's new nuclear reactor has a much improved translation of the assembly instructions. I'll be much less likely to level half the city, this time.

Positive reviews would be better, but not as much fun biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
JP, you already do that now! You want a "special" section for tech and part reviews? Sounds good to me since it might cut down on the "How do I do this" questions. It would take awhile but be pretty cool.
Geoff
boxstr
Are you refering to something similar to the PP Tech article or Tech Q&A??If yes, I think it would be something that we could all contribute to in some way and it would be beneficial to anyone new who has need for that kind of thing. I will be the first to volunter an article"How to install early chrome bumpers on the later 75-76 914". I have typed that answer so many times I have a form letter somewhere that I use.
I should have taken pics, but did not have a dig. camera then.
Craig in DAMP CAMP 914
Bleyseng
Craig, I could take some pics as I am in the middle of the swap over. That would be a good "How to" article.
Geoff
Mark Henry
I think over-all it's a great idea.

Maybe divide it up into categories and locations.
Parts vendors, manufactures maybe should be on a separate list. Then resto, repair, body and engine shops, you could do this with a services code.

You should list them by country, state, province and whatever, so that people can find local help when needed.

The rating system would be great but I wonder about legalities, a lawsuit happy type could kill the club. A single thread might not upset them much, but a rating might totally piss someone off. Just a point (concern) to think about.
jonwatts
I'd be afraid of dilluting this great site with too much "otherstuff" or starting things that never get finished.

A vendor list would be great but if you try to include every piece of information on a vendor it'll (a) be long and cumbersome, and (cool.gif never get done. Product reviews are a pain to right, never get done, and are only one person's opinion. I think you're much more likely to find answers to questions by searching the BBS.

I've seen on one BBS format where someone asks a question, people post answers and then one answer is chosen as the "approved" answer to that question (like a rating system). So someone can ask what brake upgrades are available for the 914 and people post everything from BMW 320i calipers to big reds, but the most popular upgrade might be to do a 5 lug conversion with early 911 struts (just an example). The most common / useful questions and a vendor listing could be placed in an FAQ that gets nailed at the top of this BBS.

Andy, I also think that on the main www.914world.com page you should make the following images links to the pages instead of having to hunt for the links under some text. Just my opinion (but I'm never wrong so you should listen to me smile.gif )

IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Feb 19 2003, 10:36 AM)

Andy, I also think that on the main www.914world.com page you should make the following images links to the pages instead of having to hunt for the links under some text. Just my opinion (but I'm never wrong so you should listen to me smile.gif )

done sir ...
aktion035.gif
fuch toy
Tim's 914 fan site had a vendor listing....out of date now, no ratings by "members". Prolly good idea to avoid that if ya have "deep pockets"....
Brad Roberts
Jeroen, Andy, Richard... whomever might be working on the vendor page (if anybody) Please hold off. I have a idea that will be used on the SSI website and I want to do it here also. I want the vendors hidden. I want users to type in there zip code to find local shops and parts places. Somewhere along the line we will have a "what shops are good in your area" search. The ratings thing is good. My plan is to have shops pay to be in the top 5 listings for there particular area (SSI sight)

B
ChrisReale
I like the idea of making sort of a Tech article section. I do things to my car all the time (mostly it works, but sometimes I break things), and it would be easy to document it. I am sure others could do the same. What say you guys?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 19 2003, 08:43 PM)
I want users to type in there zip code to find local shops and parts places. Somewhere along the line we will have a "what shops are good in your area" search. The ratings thing is good. My plan is to have shops pay to be in the top 5 listings for there particular area

I think that's a bad idea for the club website. When you start taking money from vendors for preferential treatment, you are no longer "vendor-neutral". For SSI, cool, whatever--it's a vendor site and is not expected to be neutral. But I don't think it's such a hot idea for the club website.

The area-specific thing won't work so well for mail-order businesses either.

--DD
Bleyseng
The zip code thing would really hurt the NW guys as there are very few parts places that carry anything 914 let alone order parts. Prices are sky high too.
Geoff
echocanyons
If I typed my zip there would be a big fat goose egg as well

and I dont mind paying shipping biggrin.gif (do I have a choice?)

I'm not diggin the promoted type vendor thing either.

I am still in favor of member donations to keep the site flyin.
jonwatts
I bet what Brad was saying was that if you put in your zip code you would be able to sort the list of vendors by distance to you. Not to exclude any vendors but just to find the ones closer by.

I look first at vendors west of the Rockies because shipping should be quicker and cheaper. I also like vendors outside CA if I get to avoid sales tax.
Brad Roberts
As soon as we list vendors.. we are no longer vendor neutral. I dont feel like listing people for free and promoting other places to buy parts. No matter who they are. I would rather answer the questions as they come in. 90% of the people on this board already have a vendor they deal with.

More idea's are welcome.

B
Alfred
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 20 2003, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 19 2003, 08:43 PM)
I want users to type in there zip code to find local shops and parts places. Somewhere along the line we will have a "what shops are good in your area" search. The ratings thing is good. My plan is to have shops pay to be in the top 5 listings for there particular area

I think that's a bad idea for the club website. When you start taking money from vendors for preferential treatment, you are no longer "vendor-neutral". For SSI, cool, whatever--it's a vendor site and is not expected to be neutral. But I don't think it's such a hot idea for the club website.

The area-specific thing won't work so well for mail-order businesses either.

--DD

I would like to see a vendor rating system identical to the rating system that ebay uses. That would simplify things greatly, IMO.

Alfred
J P Stein
A "product review" section, properly set up, could be a big help to us all.

Granted, it could take some time to built a data base and any article should be reviewed by "technical chairman" for content before being included it the section.

It would have to include "must fill" boxes to aid search and maybe a star rating for vendor and product.
It could include tools, shop and martial aids...... confused24.gif

The writer would have to be willing to answer Qs
(off line, if necessary, to keep legal man at bay) not covered in the blurb.

This could help avoid the endless repetition of the same Qs that are present on other BBSs and maintain the vendor neutral status of the BBS.

I'm no puter wonk, but given proper direction, I would help as much as I can with this.

As for helping out with the expenses to keep this thing going, where do I send a check, cash or MO?
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 20 2003, 10:50 AM)
As soon as we list vendors.. we are no longer vendor neutral. I dont feel like listing people for free and promoting other places to buy parts. No matter who they are. I would rather answer the questions as they come in. 90% of the people on this board already have a vendor they deal with.

More idea's are welcome.

B

I think Brad is right.
Jeroen
I think instead of going thru all the effort of setting up a d-base for this, we'd be much more helped with a good tech-articles section

I agree with Brad that it's stoopid to do all the sweaty stuff "promoting" vendors for free

In the tech-articles you can refer to the vendors you got your parts from etc. and/or who were helpfull

Answering the same old tech questions gets tiresome time after time after... (yawn)
If some one ask, we can refer them to an article

Answering questions on who's got what (at a good price) is pretty easy on the bbs
It's won't take you typing half a page of instructions on where to get new brake pads for a good price biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
That's why I like the idea of a "separate" area for vendor listings besides the classifieds. I like the idea of having the classifieds, BBS and a vendor area. This "vendor listings" area should cost $ which would help to pay for the BBS and Classifieds (its advertising). I like the idea of a feedback rating on the vendors. I really want to keep the classifieds free of vendor listings, specials. If a business wants to post ads fine do it for a small fee in the vendor area. There are soo many mail order guys out there that could benefit from a rating system too. If a vendor posts here they should be prepared to take the heat/praise from their ratings. I don't think that the 914club is endorsing anyone if they post in that area. Maybe that would be true if it was in the BBS.
Jereon, I agree that the tech section for articles is really important. All newbies love that plus us oldtimers get sick of typing the same instructions over and over again.
Brad, Is Brad Anders willing to post his FI stuff here?That would be a great start. (God, I know his site adress by heart from refering people to it)
Geoff
Jeroen
If we had vendors pay for a listing (aka advertising) our "independence" would be lost
Advertisers don't like it if you start pointing people in an other direction

A rating system on a paid vendor listing won't work either... a vendor that gets little or bad ratings will very easily loose interest for a paid listing...

There was a recent thread on "where to get fiberglass something..."
It went very smooth and fast and I think about every vendor that is selling the part wanted in this discussion, was mentioned, including pro's and con's of their quality, pricing and service

I think that is a better resource for people to decide where to buy their stuff than just browsing a listing of vendors

Just my thoughts...

cheers,

Jeroen
Alfred
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 20 2003, 12:20 PM)
Brad, Is Brad Anders willing to post his FI stuff here?That would be a great start. (God, I know his site adress by heart from refering people to it)
Geoff

Yup, Brad Anders' site is the best and it's clear that a lot of effort went in to making it. Thanks Brad! pray.gif

Alfred
Brad Roberts
Brad Anders gave me/us permission to use all of his content.

This is a very tough subject. One that needs more thought.

B
boxstr
Go over to the other some of the other sites and see what they are doing, you should be able to tell if it working for them or not. Check out the Boxster sites,Babblers,PPBB,Boxa.net,986forum, etc. or check with the web master or moderator and ask them. Just a thought.
Craig in DAMP CAMP 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.