Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hollandhill
In Sept of '05 I sold my '86 951 street/track car and got my 1st taste of 914 ownership. I bought LarryP’s '72 3.0 conversion car which is a ball to drive, very different than the 951.
The car is currently a narrow body, I'm thinking about adding the flares for both looks and ability to run a wider wheel package. Which vender offers the best price/quality for steel flares and what else will I need to complete the body conversion.
I've also been looking at the various weld in cages (Safety Devices, Auto Atlanta) for the 914. What is the consensus among the group as to preferred product for safety, fit and chassis stiffening. Although I only run in DE's I would not want to remove anything if I ever started running door to door.
Jeroen
You can get the steel repro flares from GPR, AA, Pelican, prolly GT Performance too and quite some others

You also need rocker covers (fiberglas) that meet the wider fenders and a GT front valence (also fiberglas)
Only rear valence I've seen advertised is from MSDS, but I think that's a steel one (check their website, I'm not sure)
Most run without a rear valence

Safety Devices makes a nice bolt-in cage
If you get a different make, make sure the "feet" of the cage mount on top of the longs and not on the floor!
hollandhill
who's GRP
seanery
GPR

bye1.gif welcome.png
J P Stein
QUOTE (hollandhill @ Jan 28 2006, 08:28 AM)
who's GRP

Spend some time here reading before you buy anything.....specially from AA. GPR (German Parts & Restoration) is a quality supplier of 914 bits. They got the majority of my money during my parts buying phases.....and still do for maintence items. I come from the school of hard knocks. biggrin.gif

Oh, welcome.
Part Pricer

I was wondering where Larry's car wound up. Congratulations, that car is well done and Larry has the receipts to prove it. biggrin.gif

I would go with the steel flares from GPR. You're going to need more rubber under that car.

Where in CT are you?
neo914-6
smilie_pokal.gif Welcome, best resource is to use the search function and if you don't find anything ask the questions...

Lou W
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

We need pictures, lets see pictures of your old car and your replacement smile.gif

welcome.png
Joe Ricard
What ever you do DO NOT buy 4 jackstands. if you have jackstands SELL THEM.
914's love jackstands. they can sit on them for years without moving. lol2.gif
Sounds like you got a nice car. enjoy welcome.png
736conver
agree.gif GPR

Call them. Website isnt much to look at

and

welcome.png

hollandhill

Here Larry's thread when he decided to sell the car, there a few pictures.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=238716

Amazing data base for information , 9 answers in just as few hours on at Sat. I thought most people went to this site during the week when they were working, like me. heheh

hollandhill
BTW I'm in Fairfield, Ct
Joe Ricard
Yea week days between 6 am 8 pm Eastern you would have had about 50 replies.

I jump on inbetween buckets of thin set for my tile foors. flag.gif
VaccaRabite
welcome.png

Everyone else pretty much posted what you needed to know. I'm just say'n hi.

Zach
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 28 2006, 11:25 AM)
What ever you do DO NOT buy 4 jackstands. if you have jackstands SELL THEM.
914's love jackstands. they can sit on them for years without moving. lol2.gif
Sounds like you got a nice car. enjoy welcome.png

I resemble that remark.... dry.gif

My sis used to live in Stamford. Great sleepy town. Great seafood. beerchug.gif

welcome.png
boxstr
Welcome. That car will look really great with a set of steel flares.
CCLINFLAREME
Lou W
agree.gif
alpha434
Don't go crazy with the flares yet. They are irreversible. How about some pound and repeat flares first?

smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

Because they look great.
joea9146
QUOTE (hollandhill @ Jan 28 2006, 06:30 PM)
BTW I'm in Fairfield, Ct

welcome good to see another CT guy biggrin.gif
jtf914
Welcome!! Great looking 914. What is the current wheel\tire combo? There was an article in the Dec 2005 Excellence with a great looking narrow bodied 914 with 8x16 Fuchs front and rear. The fenders have been massaged, but it looks great.

-Justin
hollandhill
What are "pound and repeat flares ?"

The current wheels are 15/7's with 205's. I think Larry massaged the rear to get them to fit.

Part Pricer
QUOTE (hollandhill @ Jan 29 2006, 11:29 AM)
What are   "pound and repeat flares ?"

The current wheels are 15/7's  with 205's.  I think Larry massaged the rear to get them to fit.

Pound and repeat refers to hitting them with a BFH (big F'ing hammer) smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

We rolled the fenders on that car using a baseball bat.
hollandhill
Paul you worked on this car. ?
Part Pricer
QUOTE (hollandhill @ Jan 29 2006, 11:38 AM)
Paul you worked on this car. ?

Check your PMs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.