Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with pricing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbenitah
I just talked to a dismantler and he has a 911 -77 with a complete fron end. He wants $800 for it.

Strut assembly + Caliper (s caliper) + discs + Steering rack, x memeber, basicaly everything in the front.

is it a good price?

( I found just the front suspension for $700 in LA.. But gas makes the price equal and can I use the steering rack?)
ChicagoChris
I can't speak for prices on the left coast but I was able to find them here in Chicago for $600 all day long.

Chris
anthony
I found an '89 Carrera suspension for $500.
goose2
If they ar really S calipers (alum) and in good shape, it's worth more. You don't need the rack.
cbenitah
I hear peole finding strut assemblys all the time for $150 etc but I have asked around (maybe i'm looking at the wrong places) but they are all pretty expensive.. Do I need the entire front suspension? I thought that the strut assembly was enough..
TravisNeff
All you need is the struts. If you have an early car to 72 you'll have to switch to later ball joints. Other than that it is a drop in.
Aaron Cox
do you really need S calipers?

just doing it for the looks? the 5 lug fuchs?

if so, go with a pre 74 front end... M calipers and vented rotors work fine. i have some sticky pads in mine and no problems....
cbenitah
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 28 2006, 05:39 PM)

just doing it for the looks? the 5 lug fuchs?

Just for the looks boldblue.gif

but turbo twist is probably my choice... dunno if i need flares yet, heard of everyones expensive installs... and that is a little scary...

Does anynone have a price range I should stick to so they don;t over price? I've been known to think everyone is as honest here as in sweden.. BIG misstake. ar15.gif (or does any one have a pair they will sell me?)
Aaron Cox
if your just doing it for looks,
an m caliper front end wont cost more than 300 bucks......
John

I know they are aluminum and are lighter than the steel calipers, but they definately wear out quicker and flex when the brake pedal is pushed hard.

I would opt for the steel calipers.

A complete front end should not be more than $500.00. (could bne found cheaper).

Most wrecking yards sell them for higher prices.

I found mine on Pelican message boards.

Just my $0.02
alpha434
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jan 28 2006, 07:37 PM)

I know they are aluminum and are lighter than the steel calipers, but they definately wear out quicker and flex when the brake pedal is pushed hard.

I would opt for the steel calipers.

A complete front end should not be more than $500.00. (could bne found cheaper).

Most wrecking yards sell them for higher prices.

I found mine on Pelican message boards.

Just my $0.02

Volvo. Get the early M calipers and if you really want to be sporty, the volvo stationwagons all have four piston front calipers. They sort of drop in. But you definately don't need S calipers unless your competing (and probly at the national level in sweden)
Aaron Cox
volvo's arent quite a great option yet. i have 2 NOS 240 calipers waiting on some design revision....

do a search. they arent optimal.
AA
alpha434
Do fluid exchangers.

The rest is top secret.
campbellcj
As mentioned above, all you really need/want for a basic 5-lug conversion are the struts, hubs and brake calipers. However, if you convert to the 911 A-arms then you have a bigger selection of torsion bars to choose from. This only matters if you envision ever going beyond 23mm...in which case you may want to think about coil-overs anyway...

It's also very important to remember that when buying old used stuff like this, you may/will need to refurb it, and that can be costly! The strut cartridges, brake rotors, pads, etc. are very likely to need refreshing. Also be sure to check that the struts aren't bent! I got a 78/79 complete SC front setup for 450-500 IIRC but learned later that one of the struts was bent...remember that cars tend to end up in junkyards or parted-out for a reason, which often = CRASHED.

Lastly also plan to do something re. your rear brakes if you go to S or A calipers up front. Your bias will be tweaked unless you upgrade the rears or at least re-set the bias by adjusting or replacing the prop valve.
alpha434
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Jan 28 2006, 08:38 PM)
As mentioned above, all you really need/want for a basic 5-lug conversion are the struts, hubs and brake calipers. However, if you convert to the 911 A-arms then you have a bigger selection of torsion bars to choose from. This only matters if you envision ever going beyond 23mm...in which case you may want to think about coil-overs anyway...

It's also very important to remember that when buying old used stuff like this, you may/will need to refurb it, and that can be costly! The strut cartridges, brake rotors, pads, etc. are very likely to need refreshing. Also be sure to check that the struts aren't bent! I got a 78/79 complete SC front setup for 450-500 IIRC but learned later that one of the struts was bent...remember that cars tend to end up in junkyards or parted-out for a reason, which often = CRASHED.

Lastly also plan to do something re. your rear brakes if you go to S or A calipers up front. Your bias will be tweaked unless you upgrade the rears or at least re-set the bias by adjusting or replacing the prop valve.

Way to think ahead. Yeah. He's completely right. But I assume that it was a rear hit that did this car in.
cbenitah
(and probly at the national level in sweden)

If I lived in Sweden I would not own a 914..... (public transportation takes me door to door faster) but I do have to represent my home country over here and in the community, since I may be the only Swedish member here boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

I will compete (read cruise) down PCH a sunny after noon with the top of. I just want the 5 lug casue it looks ar15.gif much better with a more modern wheel. Competing will probably be in my later days when I do have time and money to blow out engines av-943.gif like others change underwear... haha, well, the reason for my conversion is: need new shocks all 4.. new rotors and pads in front.. why not go 5 lug while i'm at it, since I wub.gif the look of it!

( I've seen that all of you guys love the smilie faces, so I droped them in here and there hahah)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.