Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: two questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I am going to install a new set of piston rings, will the standard ring compressors work on these motors?

I also want to flatten (lap?) the top of the cylinders. I have a peice of slate that I can use. I was thinking the best thing to do is use 1500 grit sand paper and do a wet sand but I remember a while back there was a thead about this. Can't seem to find the key word.

Thank's guy's
r_towle
Well, from what I recall.

Laping the cylinders...
Jake mentioned using a piece of glass and a mixture of toothpaste and clorox....dont quote me on that...

Rich
KevinP
I haven"t tried the clorox and tooth paste but, yes, glass plate and fine lapping compound for valves works great.

Kevin
Cap'n Krusty
Only works IF you can hold the cylinder PERFECTLY perpendicular to the surface, and cut EXACTLY the same amount of material from each cylinder. Oh, BTW, a sheet of glass isn't flat, not in the precision sense. The Cap'n
toon1
I used a piece of granite tile and 1500grit wet sand paper. moved the cyl. in a figure 8 pattern and rotated it several times. It seemed to work real well. I could see where some of the low spots are and was able to get them out.

I am going to use valve lapping compund to lap the cyl. into the head. Nothing crazy, just so it's a good surface for the gasket.

What are some good ring compressors.
Joe Ricard
Sounds like a good plan. as far as ring compressors go just about any will work if you are loading the piston into the cylinder. then putting whole piston and cylinder assy on the rod and then in the case.
That sounded wierd But I know what I thunk I said. cool_shades.gif
toon1
Just doing the top end so the rods are in the case. I think I might be able to load the piston in the cyl., and leave enough pis. out the bottom to reconnect to the rod.

Hey Joe did you ever get my PM about the motor mounts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.