Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New owner questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tpeck
ohmy.gif

hi, I am brand new to the club and I have just purchased a 1976 2.0, completely original and RUST FREE, yes rust free, with 52,145 original miles on it. I know there is supposedly no rust free 914, but i have one. There are a few issues with it as it was in storage, heated, for 15 years. There is an oil leak and a strong fuel smell in the vehicle, gas leak?? I would appreciate some advise as to where I should start looking for the leak and smell. Also the bracket holding the trunk lid is broken away from the body where the spring attaches, any idea where I might buy a new brace, needs to be welded on. looking forward to many posts in the future, Ted
Brew
welcome.png You're in luck! You just joined one of the best auto-related forums on the net!

More knowledgable people than me will answer any questions you may have, but the standards answers to your questions are:

1.)Oil leaks are common, and usually from the valve covers and/or the pushrod tubes. Both relatively easy fixes. It may be impossible to stop a Type IV from leaking a little.

2.)Old rubber fuel lines are a problem, replace them if yours are aged, dry, and cracked. Check your connection points for the leak, especially at the fuel pump.

3.)Trunk torsions are also a common occurence. The Search feature is your freind!
Trevorg7
welcome.png

T
porschecb
Welcome!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif smile.gif wacko.gif unsure.gif dry.gif rolleyes.gif sad.gif laugh.gif mueba.gif driving.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
736conver
welcome.png

Its a Porsche 914 oil leaks are very common.

I would check all your gas lines and check your vent hoses. Some of the lines are hard to check as they run through the tunnel. I think all 914's with original gas lines should have them replaced. Its only a matter of time before it starts to leak.
sgomes
..and as for the trunk hinge pivot.... I HIGHLY recommend you look in the 914 Resources, Parts and Products section of this site for this from James West Engineering:

user posted image
r_towle
Welcome to the club.

Fuel leaks first.
All rubber fuel lines in the engine bay need to be replace, right now.

Under the gase tank there are two rubber fuel lines that connect the fuel tank to the plastic hoses that go through the tunnel.

Jack up the front end, place the car on jack stands. Go underneath and remove the cover plate that protects the steering rack assembly, Once removed, look up near the passenger side and you will see a three inch hole that you can access the fuel lines from there.

Oil leaks.
Get a book, haynes manual works.
Push rod tube seals
Oil cooler seals
Valve cover gaskets
Front and rear main seal

All of those can be done without opening the motor.

Rich
Midtowner
Yes, good advice so far. I had to do the same to bring my car out of storage for 16 years. Was the fuel tank full or empty when stored? Check for rust in the tank. Also, I had to replace my injectors. Very expensive parts. Welcome to the club! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif man, i'm sure bumping a lot of threads tonight ...

wacko.gif Andy
sgomes
confused24.gif
Tobra
My psychic connection tells me that you have oil leaks, fluid coming out of the transaxle in various places...it smells sort of like fuel, but you don't really see any. Seriously, you should replace any rubber part that is important, fuel lines, rubber brake lines. Drain all the fuel and replace the rubber fuel hoses and fuel filter.

Check this out
Fuel Line Thread

I tossed all the fuses, cleaned the fuse contacts with steel wool and have already replaced several relays. It is an old car, but if you adjust the valves and change the oil, it will be running when you are worm food.

Oddly enough, I aquired my car rust free, both trunks, floor, battery tray and support. They are out there, but they are not getting less rusty sitting in a backyard, like mine was. This place has everything you need to know, and a lot of stuff you don't need to know, welcome aboard.
seanery
welcome.png bye1.gif
tpeck
Thank you all for the rapid responses and information given. I found my gas leak, the filter was not tight, and fixed it. I thought it was in anunusual place, in the engine compartment on the pass side near the top. All of the other gas lines appeared to be in good shape, no cracks, leaks etc. I will continue to monitor them and probably replace them in the near future. I even found the fuel pump, in front right in front of the gas tank. I was unable to locate the motor number even tho I looked where it was supposed to be. Any suggestions??? Next is the oil leak. I have a Haynes manual and I am ready to give it a try.

Ted
dlo914
welcome.png and before anyone could say it, here we go biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
smilie_pokal.gif
Welcome to one of the best places to feed your 914 addiction on the web...I've saved so much time and $$$ with the Search and Club Resources. Both the JWest and Engman stuff is first rate!

Until you make it a priority to replace the fuel lines, make sure you have a fire extinguisher near by - and not a 15 year old one!
biggrin.gif

The 914 car-BQ is a reality too many have experienced, I was not surprised how many people before me chimed in about replacing the old plastic fuel lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.