Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheetmetal Guages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nola914
Is there a source book for the various guage of sheetmetal used in the 914's. I am curious about the thickness of the longs, firewall, seat pans and fenders.

I have a body shop not far away and they will give me bent fenders and hoods. and I was wondering how this metal will stack up against the 914's. For example, the "x" member under a hood is fairly substantial and I was wondering if that could be used to patch a hole in the lower firewall.
SirAndy
QUOTE (nola914 @ Jan 28 2006, 03:03 PM)
Is there a source book for the various guage of sheetmetal used in the 914's.

icon_bump.gif anyone? confused24.gif
jonwatts
At one of John Kelly's workshops he commented that the 914 was mostly made out of 20 gauge... mostly.
Jeroen
it's all 0.8mm
pek771
I'll measure some stuff today, since I'll be in the garage cutting up the parts to fix the rusted green POS. I did build some new long pieces from 14 ga.
I'll post the results later.
Pat
pek771
I measured a few pieces so far. The rocker sill is 0.043" (roughly 1mm). The door sill panel (right where the VIN sticker is is 0.050". This piece is all stamped from the same as the fender. I'll get some measurements of the longs. I also have some Restoration Design inner rockers, clamshells and floor pans which I'll measure for comparison. These were measured with a Starrett micrometer at clean metal, no paint or goop to influence the measurements. I'll get more detail later for posterity.

I'm deconstructing these pieces so that I can put mine back together. It's difficult telling how the factory assembled everything when all you have to start with is rust.

Pat
pek771
OK, so after a day drilling out spot welds, I did take some more measurements. The longitudinal channels, inner rockers and the section of cut off targa top are all around 0.050" A new inner rocker and floorpans from Resto Design are the same (actually 0.048"). The RD clamshell is around 0.030".

I have a gauge thickness chart at work if anyone has further interest in this subject.
scotty b
18 gauge on the structural areas ie. longs, hell hole, floor etc. and 20 gauge on the outer "skin" and removeable panels.
nola914
Thanks, guys, got what I need. I sure thought there would be several more guages.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.