Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
ok, 1.8 L-jet..... runs good on cylinders 1 2 and 4... not on three.. what could my problem be?? i checked the sparkplug, and it looks good, check all the wire, good connections.. fuel problem??? clogged injector?? I hope to drive it for the first time in over a year now tomorrow. Oh yeah, none of this would have been possible if it weren't for Britt(bd1308)!!!!!! AKA
Sir post-a-lot biggrin.gif he contacted me first and asked if i had it running. I said no, and he helped me fix all of my problems, no questions asked. We need more members like you! wavey.gif Thanks
Rand
smilie_pokal.gif Getting close!

Fuel and spark?

Pull that plug, ground the threads against the block, crank... do you see spark? If not swap plugs / wires.... If so, must not be getting fuel... see if injector is squirting.
Joe Ricard
If you were near me it would be running on all 4. Probably with a big ass cam and carbs though. lol2.gif
Well, Pull the plug wire from #3 put a spare plug in the connector ground the plug to the case. get someone to crank it over. GOT SPARK ? like big blue and bold.

If you got spark then pull both injectors off that side. Carefull this gets deep from here. put the injector in some plastic cups LEAVE THEN CONNECTED ELECTRICALLY AND WITH FUEL TOO.
Now get ready for a buch of gas to spray out. turn the ignition to run, go to the engine compartment and watch the injectors as you move the throttle to full open. This should cause the injectors to fire (squirt)
GOT gas? Well there is no reason for not running. if no gas then the injector needs to be cleaned or electrical connection fixed.
messix
if you have fuel and spark then check compression in that cylinder.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 28 2006, 03:29 PM)
... watch the injectors as you move the throttle to full open. This should cause the injectors to fire (squirt)

Not in an L-jet car. You'll need to crank the starter to get fuel out of L-jet injectors.

--DD
ClayPerrine
A couple of common problems with L-jet injection. First, check the dropping resistors (Silver box about 1 inch wide and 4 inches long, located below the battery). They end up with broken wires. If one wire breaks, one injector wil quit firing. You can find out if this is the case with a noid light for bosch injection. You can pick them up at a FLAPS. They kinda look like a nipple.
Hook it to the injector lead and start the car. The light should flash.

If it does, hook the injector back up. Put the metal lead from a stethescope on the injector when the car is running. You should hear the injector click. If not, replace the injector. If it does, pull the hoses from the injector and use a small flashlight to look inside the inlet and see if the screen is clogged. BTDT.

You can also swap two injector leads to see if the miss moves. And you can do the same with the injectors.

Hope that helps.
bd1308
i didnt do nothin....

ship your resistor pack to me and i'll fix it for free and ship it back to you.

b
Rand
What? A faulty resistor pack all along?!!?? Stop it Britt!! biggrin.gif
bd1308
uh. huh.gif
grasshopper
ok, i pulled the injectors, #4 fires, but #3 doesn't.... it seems to be getting power, but i havn't tried a noid light yet...i swapped an injector from another 1.8 engine i have laying around, and it still doesn't spray..was i unlucky enough to have two bad injectors in a row?? dry.gif ... ok, for the injector plug, one wire comes from the resistor pack, and one from the computer..correct?? Thanks guys!
bd1308
yep.

b
r_towle
simple diagnostic test.

If you have the #4 injector firing and squirting...and you have #3 injector not firing or squirting, swap the injectors...dont introduce an unknown injector into your diagnostic...use one you already know works...

So, swap the injectors...if #3 still does not squirt, you have an electrical issue.

Rich
r_towle
i got an even simpler test

Pull the injectors out together...leave them connected to fuel...

place the ends of the injectors in either glass or metal jars...so when they squirt they will do it into a container...

Then if you have one that squirt and one that doesnt....swap the wires...

Try to keep your diagnostics as simple as possible...

the injector is the end of the line...work backwards from there till you find the problem...

So, go to the relay pack, test that...then to the wiring harness. etc..

Dont introduce any variables that you dont know...like an unknown injector...
Dont use a test light that you have not tested to make sure it works,,,etc..

Rich
bd1308
wow!

there are a BUNCH of awesome people here.

Barry, you have my number if you need anything. dont hesitate to call at all!

peace friend smile.gif

b
grasshopper
hey!!!! i swithced the connectors, and the miss was still at the number three cylinder, so i started looking through boxes, and found an almost new 1.8 injector, so i put that one in, and everything works great now. So now how do i adjust the system??? its raining today, so i couldn't drive it. It is AWSOME to hear a type IV run again!!! smile.gif
Toast
clap56.gif

3 is better than 0.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.