Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Guy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sk8erBri
I bought a 1975 914 2.0 and just found out about this sight. I am having a problem with getting my timing set properly. i change the points cap and router and now i am having nothing but problems getting it timed. i only have a TDC mark on the fan. I measured out where 27 deg BTDC would be and tryed to set to it, but here is what is happening.

it starts and runs fine, i can take off from stop at a normal speet and it sounds good, but if i really try to get on it (like we all know that is how it wants to be treated), it starts to knock and sounds like the engins is about to crack.

i have tryed to time it all different ways, before 27 deg after 27 deg, i have not played with the vaccume system yet, but all was running fine before i changed stuff around, so i dont thing i would have a problem with the vaccume system since i did not change any thing there. Any ides????
JoeSharp
Welcome to the Garage.The timing on your car is very important. As you look at the top of the fan it is rotating from the right side of the car to the left. The 27* timing mark comes up first.
You need to set the points first, adjusting the points changes the timing.
If you want to talk to me PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
seanery
welcome.png bye1.gif
TINCAN914
welcome.png beer.gif
JoeSharp
Oh Yea!!! Come to HOOTERS to night at 7:00. Most of the Slow Cal people will be there. It's is just off Harbor at the 405.
McMark
Welcome. You didn't mention anything about setting it to 27 degrees before TDC at 3500 RPM. If you're setting it at 27 while the engine is not running you're getting huge advance! Also, set the timing with the vacuum advance hose pulled off the distributor and plugged.
McMark
If you can safely drive the car to the HOOTERS event, DO IT! Someone there will show you how to do it. wink.gif
JoeSharp
agree.gif Thanks Mark
Allan
wavey.gif welcome.png
McMark
I wonder how long before he comes back? biggrin.gif Always entertains me since the 914Club is so amazingly fast at responding. It takes awhile for people to to realize they only have to wait 10 minutes. lol2.gif
seanery
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 29 2006, 12:34 PM)
I wonder how long before he comes back? biggrin.gif Always entertains me since the 914Club is so amazingly fast at responding. It takes awhile for people to to realize they only have to wait 10 minutes. lol2.gif

usually less than that!
Some folks think it's your normal bbs where you get 10-20 posts a day! w00t1.gif
Sk8erBri
sorry i was amazed how many people responed and i am still trying to navigate the sight. thanks for the info. i will try to get to hooters tonight, like i said the fan only has a TDC mark on it. and yes i removed the hoses from the distributer and timed it at 3500 rpm.
rick 918-S
welcome.png wavey.gif
Sk8erBri
thanks to all for the warm welcome, i am going to go try out some of your suggestions. see you at Hooters tonight. beer.gif
736conver
welcome.png

Post somes pics of your ride too.
Sk8erBri
as soon as i figure it out i will get some pics up.
seanery
Club FAQ and How-Tos
Trekkor
Welcome aboard!

I have relatives in Tustin.
There's lots of So Cal help near you.

KT
Sk8erBri
mueba.gif"F#@king A" nothing like a little 100mph therapy!!!! with just a few tips from you guys my car is timed in and running smooth. thanks for the advice, there were some marks on the front side of the fan and i was timing of of them. i was way off!!

See you all at Hooters tonight.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

welcome.png

Dave
JoeSharp
Kool!!! Glad to hear your rocking...
See you tonight.
Toast
Welcome!

Sorry, but My hooter wont be there tonight. mgw.gif But, glad u got it running better. rocking nana.gif

Now, go have some fun! burnout.gif
VaccaRabite
You SoCal people with all your "Fun" and "Get-to-gethers."

Are you going to cut up a rust free tub? You know, just cause you can?

Zach
dinomium
How much does this place RAWK?!?!!
I hope to see some pix!
welcome.png
JoeSharp
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 29 2006, 06:45 PM)

Zach

No, The one were cutting up tonight has some rust on the drivers side floor pan.
Pugbug
Sk8erBri.... This place is the best!
welcome.png
Toast
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 29 2006, 06:45 PM)

Zach

idea.gif
MattR
Brian,

I'm glad you made it tonight. I think you'll see the socal group is a pretty close knit group of guys (and gals). Your car has a lot of potential, so we'll do our best to steer you in the wrong direction biggrin.gif

I'll try to stop by tomorrow after work. I cant make a commitment though... we're getting ready for some big stuff at the shop and they'll probably have me working late.
Toast
Let me be the first to say.........

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Brando
just a few

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Yeah I know, 944s... but there were only 2 914s and both were adios when the camera came out. The PP 944 SoCal Grüppe showed as well.
Twystd1
Yeah..

I had a great time meeting you bro...!!!! And your woman was very kewl...!!

Meeting the 944 contingent was a blast... Those guys are just like us.

Cheap bastards with a willingness to geterdone...

Dam good time...

Kinda missed Aaron. user posted image

.. And Lagunero... user posted image

And most of all... Slits... Cause it just ain't right widout da Slits. user posted image

Thanks for buying me dinner Scott... ohmy.gif

And lets all get to Joes for some more BBQ and good times.

Twystd1
Dr Evil
Hey Zach,
We get Hershey swap meet, though wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.