Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: door window guides
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesprinkle
Hello everyone,

Spent a few minutes (hours?) yesterday trying to reinstall the windows into the doors of my '74, and in the course of doing so, found that time has not been kind to the health of my 30 year old rubber-backed felt window guides. I heard the ripping sound of rotted fabric when I tried to slide the passenger window through the window slot. The bracket at the bottom of the window had snagged the felt guide that lines the outside of the window slot and tore it free of its extruded aluminum mount.

At a minumum, I need to replace this outer guide; I'd also like to replace the inner guide and those that line the vertical window channels inside the door. And (since I'm in there) maybe the exterior rubber squeegee seal, as well. Can anyone tell me if these are available, and if so, where? Will an automotive glass shop have suitable parts, or are these a Porsche-only piece?

Following are some pics (so's not to write a worthless thread...)

Felt channel, lining the bracket attached to the triangular "wind-wing" window:
davesprinkle
Similar (maybe identical, except for length) felt channel, located in rear-most bracket inside door:
davesprinkle
Damage outer felt guide, held by extruded aluminum bracket, located on the outer edge of the window slot at the top of the door:
davesprinkle
Inner felt guide and outer squeegee seal: The astute observer out there will no doubt notice that the sqeegee seal is not affixed in its holder (the same extruded aluminum bracket that holds the outer felt guide, seen in the previous pic), but is rather just sitting on the top of the door skin in its approximate proper location. (It's also upside down, oops...)
JeffBowlsby
Call GPR or Pelican...I am pretty sure most or all of those are available. Look on their website.
rhodyguy
agree.gif . might as do the rear ones when you're in there. kinda spendy items, i was surprised. but this is one thing you know you're only have to do once. or twice, if you only do the fronts. get some glycerin when you slide the outer squeeges back in. let them rest for a day or 2 before you do any trimming as they will stretch out a bit and go back to their original shape.

k
Doug Leggins
I bought all of those seals from GPR not too long ago. The short felt strip is different than the longer one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.