Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rebuilding konis and 5 bolt fr. ends
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
Yes I searchesd on the subjects and didn't find what I needed on the konis and found too much on the 5 bolt. Stripped a 69 911 this weekend with dead Koni all the way around, normally I wouldn't care and buy new ones for the owner, but these are for one of my cars so cost is an issue sad.gif

1. What is the cost of having Koni rebuild the shocks?
2. what is considerd rebuildable? see following pic
3. Can they be rebuilt by the owner?

Next comes the 5 bolt question. Being a 69 it has (as does my stack of 5 other front ends) the early setup. I have always done resto werk so I'm not on top of the "best choice" news. What is the downside to the early setup vs the later style. Going on my 914 and it doesn't cost me $600.00 + for an SC setup so why not?? Pic of the busted shock shaft. Top snapped off when taking nut off and had to cut nut the rest of the way which led to damaged threads
scotty b
unsure.gif
Aaron Cox
are they vented rotors??

only downside is that it uses OLDER style and MORE EXPENSIVE style balljoins....

i think krusty said the older ones werent as safe as new style...

wedge pin vs bolt
Eric_Shea
I think there's plenty of 911's running around on early style ball joints. The problem 'can be' ovaling of the bottom of the strut tube.

How do you intend on driving your car?

No picture so I can't tell you about the Koni although, the number $55 sticks in my head. Try e-mailing Koni NA by clicking here.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 29 2006, 04:35 PM)
I think  there's plenty of 911's running around on early style ball joints.  The problem 'can be' ovaling of the bottom of the strut tube.

How do you intend on driving your car?

No picture so I can't tell you about the Koni although, the number $55 sticks in my head.  Try e-mailing Koni NA by clicking here.

thats what it was... ovaling....

i thought the number was 75 to do it or something like that per strut....
SLITS
If it's the real early like the '67....the balljoints are reported to be $300 each.

Last time I checked with Koni in Kentucky, the older "collapse to adjust" were $180 each to rebuild.
scotty b
NO solid rotors.UNSAFE or just not AS safe? Everything I've done has been pre 81 and %90 was pre 74 and I never heard or experienced anything unsafe?? Hows the darkness coming? Got your chromed tits on yet laugh.gif
scotty b
I was going to put it on my teener which will be a weekend toy. Built 2.7, 17" wheels with a smei stiff ( not auto -x) suspension.I would say aggressive street and mountain driving ph34r.gif
Eric_Shea
My $0.02?

Check the bottom of the strut for ovaling. If none is present (which it probably isn't) go for it. Make sure everything is tightened down properly using new bolts and the proper lock nut and I'd bet you would be in for years of trouble free riding.
scotty b
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 29 2006, 03:42 PM)
My $0.02?

Check the bottom of the strut for ovaling. If none is present (which it probably isn't) go for it. Make sure everything is tightened down properly using new bolts and the proper lock nut and I'd bet you would be in for years of trouble free riding.

Yeah, I intend to completely rebuild (dissasemble strip, powder coat, rebush) the whole enchilada and wanted to make sure there wasn't a serious issue with them I wasn't aware of. Trying to keep all of the details on Porsches, VW's, Jeeps, Alfa Romeos, Jags,Abarths, Triumphs, MG's, Maseratis doesn't go to well when your brain is already half fried wacko.gif MMMmmmmmmm fried ice cream MMMMmmmmmmmmmm drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.