Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: My New Computer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
I wait til long in the game to upgrade, so I just stepped up from PIII 1Ghz, to PIV 2.4, DDR... blah blah blah..

smile.gif

So, here's the fun part.

I have been using a version of Win98SE I had done some major tweaking to over the last 4 years, and I install it directly from a partition, no CD... a backup floating around... I used it all over, if someone would lose their disk, and need drivers... BE RIGHT OVER!

Haven't seen in in maybe 6 months.

Yeah, CAB_44 was corrupted.. drive has a lil tick!

So, there I was! Dancing around like a kid in line at the porta-pooper! WHERE IS THAT DISK!

I looked for hours, I'd take a break, and try to trick the install not to need CAB_44, I couldn't find my list of files anywhere though! I tried 10 times, with, and without all options...

I found a copy of someone's old non-SE Win98 Upgrade disk, it's not the same, but maybe I can make it happen..

I found an old backup!!!!!!!! HERE IT IS!!

Uhoh.... disk is toast, reads about half-way... so.. I got to thinkin.. (12 hours later)

1. I pulled the files from the back-up I found to a drive on a computer I built from old parts (just to do that)

2. I used Nero to verify that disk..

3. I replaced anything that wasn't working from the Non-SE disk.

4. I took all the CAB files, except CAB_44 from my modified version, and replaced the Non-SE versions.

5. I burned a disk.

6. I ran it.

I am talking to you, ain't I?

boldblue.gif

I need a tranquilizer.

M
URY914
Please seek professional help. I know it is the weekend but I'm sure there is some type help crisis number you can call.

If nothing else do it for your family.

Paul happy11.gif
Qarl
GEEK!!!! laugh.gif
redshift
Pros are on vacation... best I can do is some guy with a cousin who had a panic attack once, and a father who drank alot.

What ya think?

M
URY914
Go for it.
Maybe he can talk you down.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.