Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Cheapest place to stay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Looking for a motel....simple and cheap, very near san jose.

Please advise..

Rich
Eric_Shea
Priceline the Marriott for $65
r_towle
I did the internet last time...65-75....I KNOW there are 19.99 motels there...Just need to get in touch with someone who lives there...

Rich
sixnotfour
Motel 6 42.29 intrenet special
http://www.motel6.com/AccorMaps/(5ppm40bag...x?searchtype=AD
neo914-6
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Jan 29 2006, 08:19 PM)
Motel 6 42.29 intrenet special
http://www.motel6.com/AccorMaps/(5ppm40bag...x?searchtype=AD

$33.99 USD 31 miles south but your gas will cost more than the difference...this is California sad.gif

WATSONVILLE - MONTEREY AREA
125 SILVER LEAF DR
SR 1 AT MAIN ST/HARKINS SLOUGH RD
WATSONVILLE, CA, USA, 95076
831-728-4144
r_towle
ok, you live in SJ...

Drive past the train station (it will be on your right)

about 1/2 mile up you go under a bridge...hotel on right...

Then after that..there are about five or six on that street...motels...cheap ones...

I stayed in the one by the bridge for 75 per night last time...its a motel..no frills...

If that is what I get,,,ok, but 19.99 is more like it..I saw signs..just cant remember the names..they werenot chains..

Rich
neo914-6
yeah, I know the ones near the Shark tank. I'll get names next time I drive by. What's your schedule?
r_towle
coming out for 2 nights for RSA in a couple weeks...maybe...

Gotta keep on a tight budget..

Rich
neo914-6
A few on The Alameda (Santa Clara turns into it):

ARENA HOTEL (408) 294-6500 $74
TRAVELODGE SPORTS ARENA $69+
Flamingo Motor Lodge (408) 297-4115
Super 8 (408) 293-9361
Valley Inn (408) 241-8500
Aconda Hotel (408) 293-7663 141 W Santa Clara St, San
carreraguy
Rich:
Don't know the names of the places, but there are a few inexpensive-looking motels north and south of the intersection of Monterey Road and Alma - map attached.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Monter...27,0.046692&t=h

JeffBowlsby
I KNOW there are 19.99 motels there

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is the Sillycone Valley bud...Maybe in a cardboard box down by the river...I am not sure even the flop houses down on Monterey Road go for that. You DON'T want to stay there...
carreraguy
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jan 29 2006, 09:37 PM)
I KNOW there are 19.99 motels there

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is the Sillycone Valley bud...Maybe in a cardboard box down by the river...I am not sure even the flop houses down on Monterey Road go for that. You DON'T want to stay there...

Flop houses in San Jose - the Capital of Silicon Valley and home to the San Jose Grand Prix? Impossible! biggrin.gif

Rich did ask for a cheap location, I'm sure the doors lock at night and these were the only ones that came to my mind since I drive by there occasionally (no, not looking for "dates").
lapuwali
Beware that a number of the really cheap places here are extreme fleabags. Lumpy doesn't even begin to describe the bed, and you always have to worry that your stuff will still be there when you return. Real estate in the Bay Area is sky-high, so cheap is relative. Even Motel 6 charges $50-60 a night in expensive areas.
rhodyguy
i realize you're on a budget rich...the prune yard was top shelve during the wcc04'. distancing yourself from the sj, cambell area is going to put you in a traffic nightmare (imho). if you figure what you're paying for a room, and have to get up real early, sit in traffic (both ways), you'll save yourself the headache. the local ammenities factor in for me. lots of choises within walking distance to the p.y. the far more than continental breakfast is a $10 saving per day.

k
carreraguy
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 30 2006, 08:23 AM)
i realize you're on a budget rich...the prune yard was top shelve during the wcc04'. distancing yourself from the sj, cambell area is going to put you in a traffic nightmare (imho). if you figure what you're paying for a room, and have to get up real early, sit in traffic (both ways), you'll save yourself the headache. the local ammenities factor in for me. lots of choises within walking distance to the p.y. the far more than continental breakfast is a $10 saving per day.

k

agree.gif
Too bad they just tore down my favorite Chinese restaurant at the Pruneyard - Fung Lum used to equal yum yum, no more! sad.gif
Jenny
Rich, when are you coming out and where are you looking to stay near?

Jen
r_towle
Week of Feb 13th-17th

RSA is at the Mcenry Conv. Center..

I wont have a car...so someplace close to the train station is good.

Im job hunting....did I mention cheap lodging.

I have stayed in some pretty interesting parts of town in lots of cities...

Im there for two days...so I think one night only will be what I am looking for...

Rich
effutuo101
agree.gif
There is no such thing as a cheap hotel in S.J. The most reasonable ( without waking up with a pimp banging on your door and demanding payment for services rendered) Expect to pay 65-75 and consider your self lucky. They did a study a few years ago and determined that 80k was poverty level in the bay area. So, If you opt for a job, make sure that it is worth it $$ wise. What ever you were making where you live now, add 100,000k to maintain the same life style. I lived in Foster City and worked in the Bay area.
Good luck! It is a beautiful place to live and there are a lot of great 914 peeps there.
Jenny
Rich, if you don't mind beagles (and their hair), you can crash at Brian and my place for the night. We're very close to where highway 85 and 87 intersect. The light rail station is about a 2 minute walk from our door, and it'll take you right to the McHenry Convention Center. We might have plans for Feb. 14th, but that's about it.

I've never met you, but you've been a presence here long enough for me to feel comfortable with offering you a place to crash. smile.gif After all, that's what this club's about, right? Making friends and helping them out.

Jen
Hybrid_Teener
Hmm, off of Main St. and Montague there's a place called the "ohh la lodge." I wouldn't stay there, but the name just cracks me up.
r_towle
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jan 31 2006, 01:30 AM)
Rich, if you don't mind beagles (and their hair), you can crash at Brian and my place for the night. We're very close to where highway 85 and 87 intersect. The light rail station is about a 2 minute walk from our door, and it'll take you right to the McHenry Convention Center. We might have plans for Feb. 14th, but that's about it.

I've never met you, but you've been a presence here long enough for me to feel comfortable with offering you a place to crash. smile.gif After all, that's what this club's about, right? Making friends and helping them out.

Jen

Wow, what a great offer..I may just take you guys up on that...

I am still waiting for my tax return...so I can book the flight.

I am also still tossing this idea around...deciding if it will be worth the time/effort etc to go schmooze at the show.....just to get some names...

So, tommorow I hit the list of vendors to see what is going on....275 web sites to read...yabadadoo.

Btw, I have three dogs...so no prob there...
Just watch how fast I move once I put on my black suit...
The dogs wont even be able to catch me before I get out the door...I have experience with that move...

Really, thanx...I will let you know if I am actually gonna do this...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.