Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT. Computer Help ASAP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
My laptop is plagued with some crap. What ever it is locks the mouse pad out and randomly locks the return key out as well. When the computer boots up it beeps 12-15 times. Sometimes the mouse will work for a few minutes then locks out.

I am so ready to kill some worthless POS hacker for creating this crap.
swl
hmm. Beeps are really early in boot sequence? Sounds like a hardware selft test failure. Any hardware geeks in the crowd?
Brett W
Doesn't do it all the time. Only when I try to go to safe mode. Sometimes it locks the mouse out right on start up and other times it works fine for a few minutes then locks down. The Backspace key doesn't work either.

Ran Avast antivirus, MS anti Spyware, etc. Ran a W32Bugbear removal tool from Symantec but it didn't find that virus.
r_towle
year make and model?

Rich
Joe Bob
Unless the hard drive is going tits up.....save what you can on an external hard drive, strip it down and reload the operating system.

I use both Spysweeper from Webroot and Trend PC-cillin. They are industrial strength anti-trojan/spyware and anti-virus. Webroot makes the free Search and Destroy program, but it's nothing compared to Spysweeper.....

Both have their strengths and weaknesses....also update it EVRY chance you can....they run $40-45 each a year.....kinda like double gloving when doing an exam on a HIV patient...

WHEN you reload the OS...go directly to Microlimp and down load ALL the updates and patches....go NOWHERE else......THEN if not allready loaded.....an antivirus and Spysweeper....

Personally I think Norton a/v sucks dick.....and McAfee takes it in the booty.....I used them once in tandem on another machine and even with updates they let stuff slip by....

Just my experience...
Katmanken
My wife's POS Dell laptop does flakey things too..... mad.gif

Try pulling the battery, wait at least 5 minutes, and put battery back in....

Sometimes this gets the joystick and missing keys going again.....

Torque the frame a little and keys stop working blink.gif

Last Dell for me...

Ken
bd1308
if you want I could look at it for free..

if its out of warranty, it could EASILY cost over 200-300 bucks to fix whatever is wrong (hardware wise)

every computer i've used has been rebuilt by me and works 100%.

you can also call me too, 502-741-0183.

b
boxsterfan
Doesn't sound much like a virus/trojan/worm. A trojan like a keystroke logger wouldn't want to lock your mouse and keys up.

This sounds like a hardware problem. You should however:

1. Make a backup of all your data on an external HD or burn to a CD/DVD (You do this regularly don't you?)

2. Perform step #1 above again on a second CD/DVD (if you used that method).

3. Try a different mouse (borrow a buddies).

4. You haven't posted your make/model, but here is a list of beep codes from the different BIOS manuafacturers:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Good luck!!

bd1308
I had this one Fujistu Tablet pc that would lock up and I couldnt use the pen input or use a keyboard until I restarted.

I would check the memory.

b
Hammy
yes...cheap memory can cause problems... I know this all too well dry.gif
bd1308
I buy all Crucial or Kingston.

I've been burned by cheap memory.

and my bro lost his data and hard drive when his power supply blew up (cheap)

folks, getting cheap stuff doesnt work in the long run.

I spend twice or three times what normal people do for things, but they last....

b
computers4kids
QUOTE (boxsterfan @ Jan 29 2006, 08:17 PM)
Doesn't sound much like a virus/trojan/worm...sounds like a hardware problem.

I didn't hear what operating system...hopefully XP service pack2. If it is XP, have you tried a system restore back to a time that the computer was healthy?

If you look up the model you have on their website, you should be able to find their "hardware" error code list. Most computers have a variety of different patterns of beeps that are diagnostic in nature--each "series" of beeps identifies the type of hardware error that you are having.

Although, it sounds like a harware issue, a virus is possible, but also could be a bad driver. One of the drivers onboard may need to be updated...it's amazing how all of sudden one day a driver will begin acting up due to changes in other software via updates ect.

If you can't back-up your work because the computer keeps crashing, they sell an adapter (cheap) that allows you to temporarily hook up your laptop hardrive as a slave to another computer and then copy all the data easily.
Brett W
I twaeked a few things and thought it was fixed, mouse was working normally then I rebooted and now same thing. SOmetimes it beeps sometimes it doesn't.

Britt, PM me and I will work out details.
skline
If it is beeping during POST, it is a hardware problem. Could be the keyboard BIOS going out and some issue with the serial bus on the MB. I can assure you, it is not a software error if it is beeping during boot up. I cant believe all the responses saying it is software related. Are any of you guys A+ certified?

Sorry to say this, but your problem is hardware, not software. If Britt wants to fix it for free, I would take him up on it. Worst case senario, you replace the MB and keyboard and put your hard drive in as a slave and all of your data will still be there.
Brett W
Its a Dell Latitude C610 using Winblows XP with SP2 updates. Right now I can't get it to do shit. Hopefully I can get a cross over cable and network it to my desktop to save the stuff on it.

I don't expect Britt to fix it for free, but if he can look at it and figure out what the problem is I will pay him for it. Just hoping I get the 914 club "good buddy" discount.
bd1308
I have a linux server that I use for backups. I just take your laptop apart and take the drive out and put it into a drive unit so I can run the drive.

Linux sees it and voila...

I take your files and put them into a TAR archive (like ZIP) and you can get them from my web server or I can send them to you.

b
Katmanken
Yup, Hardware

My wife has a Dell Latitude C600 POS. She bought it used from Dell. So far they replaced the keyboard but the curser (aptly named) still drifts around off the screen, certain keys or joystick or fingerpad randomly stop working, and any movement or torquing of the keyboard causes keys to stop working....

Dell's advice? remove the battery. Seems to work til the next time

No beeping on ours yet. Try removing the battery- only thing that makes my wife's laptop come back... It drains the board mounted backup battery, dumps memory settings and allows the system to reset to default.

Ken
bd1308
I have a problem with a company telling you that instead of something in the form of a hardware fix or a software update.

Rediculous.

I cant wait until my girlfriend's laptop (Dell w/Celeron AKA flaming hot tamale) catches fire or stops working, I'm workign on a powerbook for her.

b
Katmanken
When I get another, it will probably be an IBM thinkpad.

Had several at the last company I was at and those suckers are unbreakable and never give problems.. Used them constantly every day and pounded the crap outta the keys. Started to wear the letters off the keys on one... biggrin.gif

Ken
bd1308
QUOTE (kwales @ Jan 30 2006, 08:23 AM)
When I get another, it will probably be an IBM thinkpad.

Had several at the last company I was at and those suckers are unbreakable and never give problems.. Used them constantly every day and pounded the crap outta the keys. Started to wear the letters off the keys on one... biggrin.gif

Ken

I have one as my "914" laptop that contains all of the documents and service manual (shop manual) for the 914 on it.

It's really old...Pentium 166. I have two of them.

But it starts RIGHT up, no problems at all.

this one was a 380ED, I also had a Pentium 233 Thinkpad 770. Both rocked. Ya cant go wrong with IBM.

Regarding computers, it doesnt pay off saving money by getting something of less quality.

b
Carl
Ya cant go wrong with IBM.

Except that IBM sold the laptop business to Lenovo.
bd1308
I cant vouch to new IBM/Lenovo stuff, but the older IBM laptops are top notch.

b
jasons
Have you tried booting it with an external keyboard?
Brett W
Plugged a regular PS/2 mouse and t works fine. Unplugged the mouse and now the integrated touch pad works. I am going to to do a complete reformat and see what happens.
bd1308
cool...sounds like a easy fix.

i think its hardware related, and usually its a grounding issue between the case and the motherboard.

b
Brett W
I'll let you know something in the morning.
r_towle
its not a software issue.

Rich
bd1308
yeah man, plus whats the advantage of having a laptop that has to be tethered to a keybaord and mouse?

b
boxsterfan
Don't reformat. It is not a software issue.
Brett W
I am backing up as we speak. I may just go ahead and send it to Britt anyway.
YksKrad
QUOTE (Brett W @ Jan 29 2006, 07:26 PM)
Ran Avast antivirus, MS anti Spyware, etc. Ran a W32Bugbear removal tool from Symantec but it didn't find that virus.

1st... Antivirus software rarely works it's a waste of money. Head of security for Microsoft does not run any antivirus software on his own computer...

2 if you're having your comp parse at you it a hardware problem.
Since it's "radomly" killing the return key, my geuss is something was spilled on your computer at sometime....
Or perhaps it overheated... in which case shame on you for buying either a Dell, a Mac, a Toshiba, or a Compaq

Before anyone says Dells are great
Dell= low grade aluminium heat sinks and frequently die with prolonged use... since they can't disipate the heat the processors produce.

As for people saying it's not a software problem, you should know dang well it could possibly be malicous codeing. Prolley not viral but more likely a driver error since these are both I/O devices that run most likely seprately.

Try updateing your drivers and then do a "safe Mode with driver" useing 'f1+shift'? when the computer boots. Sorry can't remember the exact key comand I know you hold [F1] and some other key.

It most likely is a hardware issue but why not make sure first?

GL

P.S.
Worse comes to worse make sure you buy a quality unit next time. the major gaming brands tend to be more realiable and the Alienware Sentia laptops have gotten fairly cheap. I haven't gotten to work with an IBM, but the other people here seem to like 'em. But I have had or know users of a hald dozen or so Aleinwares, and they just are solid machines. I've dropped mine twice now and other than a scratch on teh casing, that tanks hasn't skipped a beat. Plus when you really compair what you get dollar for dollar they aren't bad at all. It's true they cater to the top end usualy, but there top end is cheap... My m7700 cost 2.5k the dell equivalent at the time would cost over 5k.

Sorry bout spelling, but I'm tired atm.
bd1308
I dont like alienware...costs way too much for components I could buy on my own.

other people dont seem to like mac's....I use a mac everyday. And I'm rough with laptops...this powerbook is great! I have two more powerbooks too, and both run.

IBM's are solid....they look fragile but they are rock-solid and dependable...they cost a arm and a leg too.

If you get one see how long a battery lasts....I bought a VPR MATIX 200A5 (3500 dollar computer--Designed by F.A.Porsche) it had a real nice P4 and lots of ram, etc...The batteries wouldnt last three hours in it, something liek 2:45. That laptop, after using it for awhile, is a poor excuse for a laptop, and after awhile I just plain couldnt afford replacing stuff on it....my dad currently uses the laptop and it works fine for him......

i'm going to disagree with your opinion that Antivirus software doesnt work. It does work--but is more of a safeguard to PREVENT problems.

Laptops, for the most part, dont overheat. SOme get REALLY hot, but usually dont overheat. They come into the repair shop for other things....

beeping at POST = Windows Driver error....i think not.

i'm sorry I just respectfully disagree.

b
jasons
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 30 2006, 08:27 PM)
yeah man, plus whats the advantage of having a laptop that has to be tethered to a keybaord and mouse?

b

Just a way to help isolate the problem. If it boots fine with the external KB and/or Mouse, most likely that is the problem.

Brett W
I decided not to reformat, just backed everything up and will be sending it to Britt tomorrow. Figured I'd let him see it before I erased all the old logs and stuff.
bd1308
cool. I'll at least tell you whats wrong with it.

and then we can go from there.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.