As promised-

Autopower bolt-in with diagonal brace.

KT
Trekkor
utter side ohmy.gif
Aaron Cox
awesome. thanks trek
sixnotfour
aaron there is 2 models the one I had bolted to the floor ,Trekkor 's bolts/welds to the top of the long
Trekkor outside daytime full shots of your new paint boldblue.gif
dheinz
Trekkor,
Is that rollbar legal by any sanctioning body or is a full roll cage needed?
I like the looks of the bar but don't want a full roll cage for occasional street use.
Where can I get an Autopower roll bar?

Thanks,
Eddie
Trekkor
Is that rollbar legal by any sanctioning body or is a full roll cage needed?

Honestly, I don't know biggrin.gif

I have it in there for added safety for the limited number of DE's I participate in.

I think SCCA, NASA , etc require the full cage.

I'm toying with the idea of welding additional tubing to convert it to a true cage.

Like the fire extinguisher?

KT
DanT
My roll bar bolts to the floor and has a removable diagonal brace. I will run with the petty bar in but no diagonal. Makes it too hard to have students ride in the car. Between the petty bar and the seat being so far forward fromt the diagonal, makes the students very claustrophobic. If I do any door to door racing I will bolt in the diagonal, since I won't have any riders. Like club racing.
Joe Ricard
Me thinks that other than added wieght the roll bar pictured don't do nothing but sit there and be heavy and get in the way.
Kinda like this girl I know. icon8.gif
DanT
and your point is? huh.gif

Actually ads quite a bit of stiffness to the chassis (cabin area).
Mine will be installed with large backing plates on both sides, to reinforce the pan.
In our PCA region cars with certain modifications require roll bars, to be allowed to participate in Time Trials.
Joe Ricard
I guess the point is there is nothing gained in a 914 with that type of bar. No rigidity, I hope we never find out but if the car rolled over I would suspect the bar would cave in at the longs bending either forward of aft.
Adding the petty bar which I believe goes to the center tunnel would prevent some of that????
DanT
I have seen 3 914s roll over in the last 15 years of TTing. In reality the car is stronger than the bar. In all three the targa bar held so well, the top never came into contact with the bar let alone cause any distortation of the roll bar. The part that really needs help is the windshield header....that would be your full cage..
The car is noticably stiffer with the roll bar in place and the petty bar attached.
I am speaking from experience with such a bar in a 914 and 914-6.
jhadler
From a strictly compettive standpoint, a straight up-and-down roll bar doesn't doo too much to stiffen the chassis. What it does do though, is add additional support to the existing roll structure of the car to prevent it from collapsing on you in the event of the car going "turtle".

In order to get some good chassis rigidity, it to have the bar tie into more points of the car. Even four points would get you some better stiffness from two points...

Most sanctioning bodies don't want you on the track without some form of roll protection. In SCCA Time Trials, you can play without a bar, but if you want harnesses (other than the factory 3 point belt), you HAVE to have a good roll bar...

-Josh2
hmeeder
Aaron;

Here's a boly in Autopower bar with the removable cross brace installed in my car. Read the rule book carefully. If you will be running PCA in SoCal there are some changes for 2006 and they have added the phrase "roll bars must be braced" (p21, section XIV paragraph D) I asked our safety tech (and one of the guys who writes the rules for zone 8 among others) what that means and he says that for it to be a legal bar it must be tied to the floor in 4 places. A petty bar won't even do the trick. Basically, the bar needs to be triangulated to a point forward of the seat on both sides of the car. Of course, I installed my bar before learning of the rule change. Looks like I will need to do some welding!

Zone 8 Rules 2006
Racing916
I was thinking about adding a roll bar and I came across this webpage that sells them for 914's and there is a few types, also they are PCA and SCCA legal.

Steve

www.IOPortRacing.com
DanT
IOPORT is in Norcal....they sell Autopower bars IIRC. Roll bar is about $400 new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.