Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fire extinguisher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trevorg7
I was replacing a fuel filter this weekend when I cracked a fuel line.

It got me thinking that a Car-b-q would not be good.

Any suggestions on mounting locations.

Pictures?

thanks

T
SLITS
Where you can get to it the fastest and easiest..............period

Mine resides behind the driver's seat.
Elliot_Cannon
Mine is mounted on top of the tunnel, just to the right of the shifter. Should be easy to reach with one hand.
Elliot
Trevorg7
I am assuming that with shallow sheet metal screws I can mount it to the top or passenger side of the center tunnel (I do not have a center consol)?

T
r_towle
Best place I have seen is on the floor in front of the passenger seat...

Easy to reach, out of the way for the most part.

Rich
messix
front trunk. sorry but the last thing i wanta do is try to reach over and get something of the wrong side of the car when its on fire, just pop the front truck on the way out and then hose the ground under the car and call the insurance co. and say i tried to put it out .confused24.gif now where's my check hagerty?
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (Trevorg7 @ Jan 30 2006, 01:32 PM)
I am assuming that with shallow sheet metal screws I can mount it to the top or passenger side of the center tunnel (I do not have a center consol)?

T

That's what I used.
Elliot
MoveQik
I put mine down near the e-brake handle on the driver's side. Nice & close!
Racing916
Here is where I mounted mine, It is out of the way, and easy to get to if needed, be sure to mount metal bracket to metal floor if you are going to do DE with your car.

Steve

jgara962
I've been meaning to get one myself for the same reason. Do you guys use halon, or just the standard ABC chemicle extinguisher?
messix
halon works best where it can be contained. not sure if the 914 engine compartment the way that it is split upper and lower would work well. the halon would have a hard time staying in the top vented upper part.
Racing916
ABC is mine, good for everything
jhadler
I had a Halon in my car way back.

Don't have one in the car right now (or an engine for that matter...).

There are pros and cons to both.

The Halon, and other similar types work by displacing the oxygen, thus extinguishing. They work great in enclosed spaces. In the open however, they don't work well at all, as even the slightest breeze can move the displacing gas away amd the fire can re-ignite. A nice thing about Halon (and similar) extinguishers is that they're clean. No residue, no mess.

The dry chemical extinguishers are great to cover and kill a fire that is exposed to the outside environment. The dry chem coats and will cover the fuel source and kill the fire. Downside? It makes a royal mess. And should be cleaned up quickly as it can corrode aluminum. But if you're in the car and need to pull that pin, a little aluminum corrosion is probably the LEAST of your worries...

Another downside of the Halon is if you pull the pin while you're in the car, DON'T BREATHE. Bad things can happen to those that breath in Halon...

Halon is harder to get and more expensive too...

-Josh2
jgara962
QUOTE (jhadler @ Jan 30 2006, 03:16 PM)

The Halon, and other similar types work by displacing the oxygen, thus extinguishing. They work great in enclosed spaces. In the open however, they don't work well at all, as even the slightest breeze can move the displacing gas away amd the fire can re-ignite. A nice thing about Halon (and similar) extinguishers is that they're clean. No residue, no mess.

The dry chemical extinguishers are great to cover and kill a fire that is exposed to the outside environment. The dry chem coats and will cover the fuel source and kill the fire. Downside? It makes a royal mess. And should be cleaned up quickly as it can corrode aluminum. But if you're in the car and need to pull that pin, a little aluminum corrosion is probably the LEAST of your worries...

Another downside of the Halon is if you pull the pin while you're in the car, DON'T BREATHE. Bad things can happen to those that breath in Halon...

-Josh2

I was worried about corrosion with the dry chem, but the halon extinguishers seemed a little pricey. You've answered my question. Better to make a big mess than to watch your pride and joy burn to the ground. Going to buy one tonight after work. wink.gif
markb
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 30 2006, 12:37 PM)

Rich

agree.gif

That's where mine is.
SLITS
QUOTE (jhadler @ Jan 30 2006, 04:16 PM)

-Josh2

I thought there were two types of Halon for fire bottle systems...one really bad and the other not so bad.
jgara962
Just a quick question - if I mount it on the side of the tunnel, I'm not going to screw into a fuel line or anything will I? sad.gif
kdfoust
Driver's side long just in front of hand brake.

Flat VW
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 30 2006, 01:37 PM)

Rich

agree.gif

John
Flat VW
QUOTE (jhadler @ Jan 30 2006, 04:16 PM)

-Josh2

I worked on a hospital job where two fellas rode out a halon dump in the MRI area.

John ohmy.gif

P.S. Both still alive...., one of them never acted quite right even BEFORE the halon. screwy.gif
jhadler
Yoiks.

Yeah, Halon is a favorite fire control method for enclosed areas that house expensive electronics equipment. It puts out the fire, without destroying the equipment. Water kills electronics, and dry chemicals do too. Halon will save the equipment, while killing the fire...And anyone else unfortunate to be in the room at the time... icon8.gif

-Josh2
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (jhadler @ Jan 31 2006, 11:58 AM)
Yoiks.

Yeah, Halon is a favorite fire control method for enclosed areas that house expensive electronics equipment. It puts out the fire, without destroying the equipment. Water kills electronics, and dry chemicals do too. Halon will save the equipment, while killing the fire...And anyone else unfortunate to be in the room at the time... icon8.gif

-Josh2

Which is why Halon is no longer code in many places, and has been replaced by FM200.

The guy that did our installation for FM200 for the data center said that the only reason why they want you out of the room when it goes off is that the pressurized gas could send ceiling panels or stuff like that flying around. Infact, at the end of his FM200 certification, the installer had to set off the system that he had just installed, and be in the room while it discharged.

But, it does need to be in an enclosed area to work. I don't think it would work very well in a car.

Zach
jhadler
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 31 2006, 10:46 AM)
The guy that did our installation for FM200 for the data center said that the only reason why they want you out of the room when it goes off is that the pressurized gas could send ceiling panels or stuff like that flying around. Infact, at the end of his FM200 certification, the installer had to set off the system that he had just installed, and be in the room while it discharged.

Well that seems strange. I guess I'm not familiar enough with FM200... But if the guy stood in the room when it went off, then it's not the same mechanism as the Halon. Halon, and other displacing gasses, eliminate the oxygen from the room. No oxygen = asphixiation....

-Josh2
BigDBass
I got a 1.25 lb Halon from a friendly ebay seller here.

I'm trying to find a good place to mount it that won't mean too many holes in the carpet, etc. I'm not coming up with much so far.

Why does one need to go metal-to-metal when it comes to the mounting bracket?
mskala
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 26 2006, 12:07 PM) *

I'm trying to find a good place to mount it that won't mean too many holes in the carpet, etc. I'm not coming up with much so far.

This is a way to do it without holes (if you don't need a center console).
I made an a-frame out of aluminum and attached to existing holes.
Then used an old headliner to make some fake carpet where the console
was.

IPB Image
BigDBass
Hmm, I have a stock center console. I thought about attaching it to the passenger side of the console sorta around the passengers' left knee, but I don't want to put holes in it. sad.gif
michel richard
QUOTE(markb @ Jan 30 2006, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 30 2006, 12:37 PM)

Rich

agree.gif

That's where mine is.

agree.gif
That's where mine was, and where it will be.

GTeener
beer.gif
turboman808
Mine mounts in front of the shifter. Between the seats seems like a good place also but I thought that sooner or later I'm gonna cut my hand on it.

I've been trying to get a factory BMW extinguisher. They look really nice. Hopefully I will win one of the auctions soon.
BigDBass
Gwen, is that attached to the floor or the side of the console?
GTeener
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 26 2006, 11:14 AM) *

Gwen, is that attached to the floor or the side of the console?

Floor
Matt Meyer
Halon does not work by displacing gas, it works by interrupting the chemical reaction, and it does so very efficiently. A properly sized Halon system will knock out a fire but not kill (or render unconcious) a person in the room. That is the reason it was favored over CO2 systems which purely displace gasses and have killed people. Halon was made illeagle to manufacture because it is a chlorofluorocarbon and depletes the ozone layer. Halon Extinguisher discussion

Halon is the probably the best extinguishing agent ever and lives will be(and probably have been) lost because it was made illeagle. The excessive cost now is because industries that know are hording it for this reason. But all that is too far off subject.

FM-200 and FE-241 (soon to be illeagle too) work the same way as Halon but are not as efficient so it requires more to put out the same fire. A Halon extinguisher is rated for a larger fire than a similar sized extinguisher of any other type I am aware of.

The problem with gas (CO2, Halon etc) extinguishers IMHO is people tend shoot them at the fire not the base of the fire where the reaction is. It is a gas so it does nothing. With a dry chem extinguisher it is more intuitive to cover what is burning.

On a car which will likely be a chemical fire (gas, oil or plastic burning) once the extinguishing gas has dissipated the fire may reignite.

But in general I think a Halon extinguisher is almost perfect for a car and what I want available for escape.

I'll get down off my soap box. Thank you.
jhadler
The one nice thing about CO2 extinguishers (entirely impractical for a little floor mount bottle though) is that they cool the fuel as well as displacing the oxygen around it. That way, when the gas does dissapate (and it does), the fuel will have been cooled down to the point where re-ignition is far less likely.

-Josh2
jgara962
I ended up mounting mine on the driver side long just ahead of the e-brake. There is an indention there that is perfect for the nozzle. Fits very nicely.
BigDBass
I'm gonna try to fabricate a mounting plate to attach to the screw on the upper side of the center console. Hopefully it will not be too much stress on the console hardware.
pfierb
Mine is right in front of the passenger seat....easy and quick to get at
Trevorg7
I ended finding one at Home Depot that attached with Velcro. It works great and doesn't move around while driving.

T
jhadler
Hmmm... how can I say this?...

DON'T USE VELCRO!!!!!!!

If, god forbid, you should be in any kind of impact greater than a 5mph fender bender. that fire extinguisher will become a 10 lb flying projectile indie the car. So not only you going to have to deal with whatever just got smashed by the flying fire bottle (like maybe your leg), now the fire bottle (which you might actually need now) is probably somewhere much harder to reach...

-Josh2
BigDBass
I want to do it like Gwen's but I don't want to drill holes in the car. Especially cutting holes in the carpet. Do I just bite the bullet and permanently alter my very nice and clean, all original interior?
teenerted1
i have one of the velcro mounts too. but have is behind drivers seat so little chance of it flopping around inside the car. trying to find one of the those "FIRE EXTINQUISHER HERE" decals to mount behind the seat on the rear window so others will know its there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.