Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips for home anodizing kit usage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
As soon as I get the directions from McMark on how to use his Caswell anodizing kit , I plan on trying it out.....any BTDT tips or tricks??

material will be 6061 and is 914 related smash.gif
bondo
Don't try to do large parts. Cast parts work sometimes but my results have varied. Avoid solution contamination. Use a chemical sealer if you can. Definitely practice on some scrap.
McMark
Okay, okay. I'll write myself a note to get you the manual. Sheesh. rolleyes.gif You didn't have to go "public" to get my attention.

J/K lol2.gif

But I did write myself a note.
McMark
Royce, what did you use to power your kit?

Mike - Here's the manual.
Here's the power source they sell.
bondo
I use a universal battery charger called a fair radio charger. It's military surplus. It can handle about 15 amps.
Porcharu
Mike - have you seen this??
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html
Mueller
QUOTE (srbliss @ Jan 30 2006, 02:31 PM)
Mike - have you seen this??
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

thanks Steve....some good reading there....

Mueller
Hey Mark....I got a powersupply smile.gif

It just so happens I needed to buy a "good" for work...no problem for me to borrow it for home use,,,wanna bring the kit with you next week??
ejm
I think this is the very same question that got Dirk Wright started laugh.gif
HarveyH
Clean!
Clean!
Clean!
Clean!
Clean!
Everything has to be very clean.
I assume you will be using aluminum rods to support your piece parts for processing; don't skimp and try and reuse them. Once they've gone in the tank and the current has been started they are anodized too; the really small contact points with the workpiece will not be, but you will never get them lined up properly to make a good contact.
If something happens and you have to take a piece out before it is done, it will have to be stripped, cleaned, and completely reanodized.
Most of what I did (20 years ago now...) was hot water sealing, with a couple of items in a chromate sealer so I dont know anything about them
Joe Bob
CW clean.....get a "Tack Cloth"....
iamchappy
Check Ebay auctions for Bdstone, he sells nice plated 914 parts for less than the effort
you have to go through doing it yourself.
McMark
thumb3d.gif I'll pack it along. I was just trying to decide where to store it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.