Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrcui
Was cleaning out the air box when I noticed the temp sensor was unplugged from the throttle body (I hope I sound somewhat knowledgable). I plugged the temp sensor back in but the engine ran like crap... unplugged and it ran smooth. Is this a bad thing?

Thanks in advance,
Vince wacko.gif
bd1308
unplugging that temp sensor enrichens the mixture of fuel and air by some 10% or so, according to the BOSCH fuel Injection book I have somewhere.

That means you probably have a leak somewhere, or you gotten used to the "good running" slightly rich mix of having that unplugged.

It's an old VW tech trick I read up on that above mentioned book.

b
jrcui
Thanks!! Car was running rough so I took it to Motor Sports International in Beaverton/Portland a couple of months back. The tech was an old time 914 owner so I think he's behind it....
Vince
bd1308
yeah, I would just start replacing those hoses...the german braided ones get brittle and crack on the inside, even though they appear okay on the outside....

you might find your problem somewhere there.

I would assume that running rough = lean, due to the tech tip.

b
SirAndy
QUOTE (jrcui @ Jan 30 2006, 01:38 PM)
The tech was an old time 914 owner so I think he's behind it....

sounds like he sold you a "Band-Aid" ... dry.gif
i hope you didn't pay too much for that.

something in your setup is obviously not right. try to find it, then fix it the right way ...
wink.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
What the hell happened when I wasn't looking?
our Son Britt is becoming a good Wrench...
WOW!!!!!!!! beer.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 30 2006, 03:49 PM)
What the hell happened when I wasn't looking?
our Son Britt is becoming a good Wrench...
WOW!!!!!!!! beer.gif

thank ya Joe.

b
jrcui
When I got the car, I replaced all the hoses but I think there was an issue with a leak coming from the distributor (if that makes sense). The fuel pressure sensor was also changed out but she was still running rough.

The disconnected temp sensor has the car running ok. When you plug it in, the car idles bad and dies.

I'm the kinda guy who keeps mechanics in business......

V
Mueller
QUOTE (jrcui @ Jan 30 2006, 05:10 PM)
When I got the car, I replaced all the hoses but I think there was an issue with a leak coming from the distributor (if that makes sense). The fuel pressure sensor was also changed out but she was still running rough.

The disconnected temp sensor has the car running ok. When you plug it in, the car idles bad and dies.

I'm the kinda guy who keeps mechanics in business......

V

what engine/FI do you have?

if a d-jet, I thought the air temp sensor is mounted on the plenum, not connected to the throttle body wacko.gif

fuel pressure sensor??? WTF.gif .......what is that?

do you mean fuel pressure regulator? which I doubt was bad, did your mechanic even check the fuel pressure with a gauge??
bd1308
how many pins is the connector?

4/5 is the Throttle Position Sensor

2 is the Air Intake Temp Sensor.

If the 4/5 pin connector is unplugged and plugging it in causes the idle to be REAL rough, the sensor needs to be adjusted per the Pelican Parts TPS Calibration article, and then the adjustment pot needs to be tuned a bit to find the best idle quality. The adjustment pot is located ON TOP of the ECU, near the battery. Black knob looking thing.

Make friends with the technical article though on Pelicanparts.com

b
jrcui
It's the two pin....... the one just below the five pin which I assume is the larger plug on the throttle body..
V
bd1308
okay, so yeah i had it right.

That thing the sensor is inserted into is actually called the "plenum"

check vac leaks.

b
jrcui
I'll take a pic when I can for better illustration.....
V
jrcui
Pardon if I don't get the names right but everyday is learning day for me when I attempt to look at my engine... ('75 2.0).

I hope the picture is clear enough.

V
bd1308
yep.

that be da one.

biggrin.gif

unplugging that richens the mix by around 10-15%

if ya got a rough *IDLE* only, try adjusting that knob on top of your engine "computer" by the battery tray. The idle mixture (if your throttle position sensor is calibrated to spec) is derived from that adjustment knob, and not from the MPS. So make adjustments there. Also, check for vacuum leaks as well.

b
jrcui
Thanks B!!!
smiley_notworthy.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (jrcui @ Jan 30 2006, 08:28 PM)
Thanks B!!!
smiley_notworthy.gif

with over 4000 posts, i knew one day i'd help somebody out.

smile.gif

no problem man....

go hunt those leaks wink.gif

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.