Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gettin Ready to Pull The Trigger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
So, I've got my eye on a nice 73 1.7 but noticed a few rust spots bubbling up the paint. I'm an idiot when it comes to rust and rust repairs so I've got this question.

What is mechanism for this rust in this area (see red arrow) Okay, I'm not completely dumb and recognize the source would be moisture. But I see quite a few 914's with rust in this area. Is this rusting from the inside out? Or perhaps just poor prep before paint? I stopped short of jabbing the bubble with a screwdriver cuz I obviously didn't want to damage the guys paint so I don't know if it goes all the way thru. The front trunk has some rust holes thru it as well, but I am not as concerned since I assume I can get that repaired.

I'm pretty sure after negoitating with the owner for about a month that the price will be about $4K. The interior is in decent shape, runs well with no oil drips and he's put about $1500 into the 5 lug conversion. Says its serviced at Otto's regularly.

Whaddya think?

TravisNeff
That is a very common spot for rust, behind the sail panel is a piece of foam that traps water. Match that with the lower chrome trim on the sail panel (with mounting holes), very succeptable to rust. Great looking car!
kconway
Another view from above.

Thing that really gets me is grinding down that rust bubble and trying to have the paint matched. Original Zambezi.
TravisNeff
Looks can be deceiving once you start grinding off the paint, it could be a little bigger than where the bubbles are. I am pretty sure you can get a pretty good match on the paint though.
Gint
Sweet 914. Leave the rust bubble alone and just drive the car and enjoy it.
TravisNeff
agree.gif driving.gif
KaptKaos
ROFL!!!

I was looking at the first pic and I thought that the paint on the front hood was fading, rusting, etc...

Then I look in the other pics and its the friggen reflection of the clouds!!!!

LOL lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

Buy it and drive it!
East coaster
Here's what my "little bubble" looked like from the back side. Like stated above, the foam collects moisture and causes it to rust from the backside. So, the bubble you see is the tip of the rustberg!

boxstr
That car has been for sale for about 9 months or maybe longer. Looks nice. Buy and enjoy.
CCLINAUTOTRADER
kconway
I'm wondering now if its been on the market that long if there is something I'm passing over on this car.

Has anyone done a PPI or inspected this vehicle for purchase and if so, what did you find?

When I initially spoke to the owner, he made a comment to the effect that "some guys from that 914club looked it over and dug around". He sounded a little critical or negative about club members poking around his car, perhaps since he didn't make a sale?
mudfoot76
Zambezi smilie_pokal.gif

Nice car -- buy it and drive it biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.