Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 Engine Sheetmetal...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Anyone have some -6 engine sheetmetal?

I need a picture of the long piece that runs along the front.

Thanks!

E.
736conver
John's got some in the resource section. Dont know if that helps.
link
John
You mean like this? (before paint)

This one was modified to fit my 3.2 and custom engine mount (so the engine mount cutout is larger). I found that when fabricating this part, it is handy to have the engine mount installed on the engine and have an engine available to fit the sheet metal correctly.

Eric_Shea
Looking for the edge as it lays against the engine. The piece I have here was cut and notched probably for pressure feds at one time.

The fat piece you show on the left of the engine front seems to be straight across, while the piece on the right has a little shift in it. Doesn't the left piece have the same jog/shift in it?
John
Or this?

The set on the right is set up using an engine mount similar to the R.J. mount (it might be one). Note the cutout size for the engine mount.
sixnotfour
tin
Eric_Shea
Should I mount my RJ mount to the engine and test fit before repairing what I have and getting it powdercoated?
Eric_Shea
Perfect Jeff! Do you have a large high res you can e-mail me?? wub.gif
sixnotfour
Johnman's look good . I went and took these , so i posted em.
Eric_Shea
That first one is exactly what I need. The flat area that rests against the engine right below the stickers is the area I need to replicate.

How about a trace on some butcher paper (boy-o-boy... am I a pest or what?)
John
The fat piece you show on the left of the engine front seems to be straight across, while the piece on the right has a little shift in it. Doesn't the left piece have the same jog/shift in it?

The wide area (Passenger side when in a 914) is shown as it fits the engine.

What you may be referring to is that on the far drivers side, the narrow "shelf" extends back a slight bit while the passenger side does not. These are made from my patterns, and while I am sure it is very close to "factory", I don't have any "factory" parts to compare to.

I ended up with these shapes from my patterns. I believe that other peoples sheet metal may have the little shift on the passenger side as well, but mine do not.

Want to see the sheet metal all flat (prior to welding/forming)?
Eric_Shea
I have the piece in front of me... actually, with your photos I think I'm good to go.

I'll trace those camel-backs from the left side and transpose them to where I need them on the right... then it's a flat run and I have the rest of the metal in place.

Thanks all... smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
What you may be referring to is that on the far drivers side, the narrow "shelf" extends back a slight bit while the passenger side does not. These are made from my patterns, and while I am sure it is very close to "factory", I don't have any "factory" parts to compare to.

I was referring to the passengers side. If you look at the (what I call) camel-backs, you'll notice that the facia juts in slightly and isn't on plane with the initial line starting in the left corner. The one on yours looks flat across.

(make sense)?? blink.gif

I'm real shitty at trying to explain things.
Eric_Shea
One more Q.....

What's that tab to the right of the labels?? I have remnants of it on mine. It looks like maybe a thin flat stock to hold a wire?
John
Apparently, I got it more right than I knew. Great pics Jeff. (I'd be interested in high res pics as well.)

So the factory one looks in shape very much like my patterns. Cool!

I must type very very slowly...
sixnotfour
sent pic to PMB
holds the factory CD wiring
John
I was referring to the passengers side. If you look at the (what I call) camel-backs, you'll notice that the facia juts in slightly and isn't on plane with the initial line starting in the left corner.

Ah, yes.

I see what you mean, but it can't be much more than 3/16". My side pieces must be longer than the factory sides.
sixnotfour
rest
sixnotfour
all
IronHillRestorations
Definately fit the piece to the engine mount before having it powder coated. I wouldn't cut an OEM piece, as they are probably worth as much as a repro set.

Jeff! You are a bigger NOS parts hoarder than me! blink.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (9146986 @ Jan 31 2006, 08:39 AM)

Jeff! You are a bigger NOS parts hoarder than me! blink.gif

Perry,
I have seen your parts stash, and I think you have the smilie_pokal.gif for NOS parts hoarding. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.