Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn Rewiring?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
The previous owner put an external button in for a horn and I've since gotten a replacement steering wheel and want to try to rewire the steering wheel horn button - anybody have the details on what I need to do? I have two wires that, when connected, activate the horn - what do I connect them to?

Thanks
Joe Ricard
The way they are originally wired at least on my 70 car is a brown and white wire that snakes up the column and attaches to the brass contact ring. When you push the button the cicuit is connected to ground BEEEEP.
which one is hot goes up the column.
vesnyder
I get the one going up the column, it's teh other end I don't know where it connects?
Joe Ricard
It doesn't. I would think he was "rigging it" power and ground.
Don't have my haynes manual with me So now I'm getting fuzzy with this. I wired up my horns about 18 months ago.
Dave_Darling
What year 914, vesnyder?

On 72+ cars (or maybe 73+) the brown/white wire connects to the horn relay, which lives on top of the fuse panel. When you press the button, this grounds the wire which completes a circuit through the coil of the relay. That closes the relay, making it send power to the horn. BEEEEP!

On the 70-71 (72?) cars, the brown/white wire is what actually provides the ground connection to the horn. Pressing the button grounds the brown/white wire, which completes a circuit through the horn itself. BEEEEP!

Look on top of the fuse panel for a relay that has a red wire, a red/white wire, a brown/white wire, and a black/yellow wire. That's the horn relay.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.