Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: road and track article
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
Hi guys,
I know this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know if they are planning to build this, or the writers from R+T, thought it would be a great idea?

Porsche Speedster

Although the Porsche Boxster is far from a heavyweight, wouldn't it be cool if Porsche built a lighter, smaller and cheaper sports car, kind of a successor to the 914?. The Speedster would use the Boxster's platform, meaning mid-engine and two seats, but with smaller dimensions. The Spartan interior, plus light alloy and carbon-fiber materials throughout the chassis and body would keep overall weight to just 2650 lb. Since the flat-6 from the Boxster would make the Speedster a hotter performer than its more expensive sibling (never allowed!), Volkswagen's turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder TFSI engine — tuned to 230 bhp — would still provide plenty of thrills. — MM
thanks
Joe
BMartin914
Road and Track has a small piece in the newest edition about a possible 3-door successor to the Cayenne barf.gif and a new 928.

How far can we push it before we dillute the recipe TOO much?

Remeber that these are slated for release (assuming they go into production) after the 4-door Panamera goes on sale.
Seagrave
Yes, and in order to round out their marketing, Porsche will soon also debut a pick-up, and extended cab pick-up, and a motorhome. Then, to complete their assimilation into the mainstream borg, they will debut a retro mid-engine, two-seater in a partnership deal with Volkswagen. It will be badged as a Porsche in the US of A and as a VW-Porsche in Europe. It will be a 914 with airbags and cup holders. laugh.gif
sean_v8_914
Hey, they might even build a farm tractor wink.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (joeav8tor @ Jan 31 2006, 08:04 PM)
... does anyone know if they are planning to build this, or the writers from R+T, thought it would be a great idea?

Porsche Speedster

Although the Porsche Boxster is far from a heavyweight, wouldn't it be cool if ...

You answered your own question in the course of asking it. Read the bit of magazine you quoted, and you will see the answer.

--DD
joeav8tor
I read the article, however it was placed in an area on the site where prototypes were shown that will soon be going into production, but thanks for the heads up, I am still working on reading, so dont type so fast. ar15.gif
JMS
Mark Henry
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Feb 1 2006, 02:03 AM)
Hey, they might even build a farm tractor wink.gif

There is suppost to be one just down the road from me....someday I should check it out. smile.gif

This is the guy....

http://www.porsche-diesel-tractor.com/about.htm
anthony
QUOTE (joeav8tor @ Jan 31 2006, 09:04 PM)
The Speedster would use the Boxster's platform, meaning mid-engine and two seats, but with smaller dimensions. The Spartan interior, plus light alloy and carbon-fiber materials throughout the chassis and body would keep overall weight to just 2650 lb. Since the flat-6 from the Boxster would make the Speedster a hotter performer than its more expensive sibling (never allowed!), Volkswagen's turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder TFSI engine — tuned to 230 bhp — would still provide plenty of thrills. — MM

It sounds like an Elise copy that won't be as fast as an Elise. Doesn't the Elise weigh even less than a 914?
anthony
I also read recently that since Porsche's large investment in VW, that VW has cancelled lots of projects including their mid-engined roadster.
sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.