Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914s from Around the World
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Post what details you know about and photos.

French fog lights

JeffBowlsby
Emergency blinker switch insert
sean_v8_914
did the Italian cars really have clear lenses?
messix
thats what i was told
JeffBowlsby
Italian Dream car: Yup clear front turn signal lenses

alpha434
Mine's italian. It sold originally in Bouylder,CO. With clear lenses. There was some sort of mix up and my car got them stock. The sidelights are VERY rare, from what I've heard.
Dave_Darling
French tail-light lenses were different--just amber and red, I believe.

--DD
alpha434
european cars were carburated, unless you got FI as an option.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 1 2006, 12:04 AM)

only the euro 1.8 had twin single barrel solexes
Aaron Cox
euro cars could be equipped with headlight squirters (in the bumper pad)

WOLFSBURG logo on steering wheel

obviously badging.....

available REAR fog light.......

french tails Amber Red Amber

alpha434
Badging.... Yeah. They were VWs in europe.

Aaron. Do you have pics of any of the above items. The wofsburg steering wheel?
McMark
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 31 2006, 11:04 PM)

I call speculation.

hide.gif
McMark
Rear fog light. wink.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 1 2006, 08:04 AM)

slap.gif

european 1.7 and 2.0 had the D-Jet (no carbs available - not even optional)
european 1.8 had solex (no FI available - not even optional)

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
euro cars had no "FASTEN SEAT BELT" lamp

euro cars had no open door buzzer

euro cars had km gauges (instead of miles)

euro cars had engines with other compression rates / performance (at same displacement)

euro cars had no smog control system

euro cars had no sealed beam lights

euro cars had no sidespots (only italien cars had the same thing, but AFAIK they used 'em as flashers)

wavey.gif Gustl
JeffBowlsby
Photos please, post photos...

P O R S C H E script omitted from engine grille, and of course the rear euro lenses

Gustl
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Feb 1 2006, 03:46 PM)
Photos please, post photos...

well, I'm still at the office ... when I'm back home I'll post some pics, I promise wink.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 1 2006, 12:07 AM)
euro cars could be equipped with headlight squirters (in the bumper pad)

WOLFSBURG logo on steering wheel

obviously badging.....

available REAR fog light.......

french tails Amber Red Amber

I have TWO European horn pads, should anyone want one. The Cap'n
alpha434
Thats what I wanted to hear. Post a pic first.
Gustl
QUOTE (Gustl @ Feb 1 2006, 11:34 AM)
euro cars had no "FASTEN SEAT BELT" lamp

euro dash
JoeSharp
Hoylands car with a euro and a french tail
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Kargeek
VW - Porsche emblem, French tailight lenses...could be a better picture.
Dave H
bd1308
ohmy.gif

OMG that has got to be the LARGEST picture I have ever had to scroll through...

biggrin.gif

playin with you of course.

Cap'n you have a wolfsburg horn pad? idea.gif could you pm me?

b
Mike D.
Euro 914-6 had no VIN plate under the front windshield on the pillar...
DEC
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Feb 1 2006, 10:10 AM)
Euro 914-6 had no VIN plate under the front windshield on the pillar...

agree.gif
the euro 914-4 also
sean_v8_914
if I had pictures, I would post them. I just steal them from here
Aaron Cox
Proof of 1.8 Carb'd Motor ftom euro manual
East coaster
Never noticed that my euro '71 didn't have a VIN plate on the pillar. Just checked and sure enough, no VIN. Also, no fasten seat belt light. It had a different fog light though, mine was flush mounted in the rear.

pic:
johannes
VW - Porsche emblem, French tailight lenses...could be a better picture.
Dave H
No . french tailights have white "reverse" ...

914 Were sold as VW in europe ... on paper it was printed VW typ 47 ...
Exception in France where 914 were sold by Sonauto that was the official Porsche importer ( no Porsche network at this time).
He sold the 914 as Porsche ( Porsche 914 on the papers)
1.8 was never imported in France. Only 914/6 - 1.7 an 2.0
Not a big successs in France ... I think a few hundred ...
18 cars sold in 1974
3 cars sold on 1975

A lot of pictures of french 914 here. http://www.914garage.com/spgm/index.php?sp...es%20passionnes
Most are original french 914.

before 1990 french cars had yellow bulbs in headlights.
Gustl
QUOTE (East coaster @ Feb 1 2006, 08:33 PM)
Never noticed that my euro '71 didn't have a VIN plate on the pillar. Just checked and sure enough, no VIN. Also, no fasten seat belt light. It had a different fog light though, mine was flush mounted in the rear.

pic:

did you notice that you've a pretty rare '70-style rear bumper on your car wub.gif
maf914
QUOTE (Gustl @ Feb 1 2006, 12:08 PM)
did you notice that you've a pretty rare '70-style rear bumper on your car wub.gif

What is the difference between the Euro and American market early steel bumpers?

I think there was a difference in the 75-76 rubber bumper cars. The American version bumpers were mounted with shock absorbers while the Euro had fixed bumpers.
Gustl
AFAIK the bumpers (euro vs. US) were the same up to the end of MY'72
then, the euro bumpers were still the same, but the US bumpers got the bumperettes on the front in MY'73 and in addition in the rear in MY'74

the MY'75 bumpers were all the same, in MY'76 there were only US cars available

wavey.gif Gustl
McMark
East Coaster, more pics of how the fog light is mounted please! boldblue.gif

Where does it connect to the wiring harness, etc. Can you take the lens off and take some pictures? Pictures from inside the trunk.
Kargeek
[QUOTE]No . french tailights have white "reverse" ...

My 25 year old printed factory parts guide shows a part number for these lenses with amber reverse lenses- labeled "french". Just as it lists a front bumper pad and headlight washer nozzles as a requirement for "europe".

European version cars that have the factory rear fog light have a special wiring harness with a white / green stripe wire to it's location. I built my car with a NOS european harness and in addition to the rear fog wiring, it also has additional white/ green wires to the front of the car in addition to the standard bumper mounted fog/ driving lights. The wiring also did not have the US provisions for seat belt / igition buzzer etc.

DH

type47fan
Euro horn pad. . . .Thanks, YA-ROON!
johannes
My 25 year old printed factory parts guide shows a part number for these lenses with amber reverse lenses- labeled "french". Just as it lists a front bumper pad and headlight washer nozzles as a requirement for "europe".

You are right , I checked ... Reverse were amber. But I think this is only on early models. I saw amber lenses on a 1970 1.7 ... On later model I always see white reverse. I can remember I had amber reverse on a 1968 Fiat 850 Sport. It seems the french regulation has changed in the early seventies.

Concerning the headlight washer nozzles this may be required in some specific european countries ... maybe Sweden.
But these are not required in France nor in Germany. Even today you can buy new cars without this feature.
warrenporsche
I have a recently aquired 1.7. Does anyone know if euro 1.7s also had higher compression? and does anyone know if it is worth changing the pistons when I pull the engine for a slight HP bump? come to think of it what is the 1.7 hp rating anyway?
johannes
Europe....... typ W 1.7 Ratio 8.2:1 = 80 HP
USA ........... typ EA 1.7 Ratio 8.2:1 = 80 HP
California ... typ EB 1.7 Ratio 7.3:1 = 72 HP
redshift
French 914s weren't always made for the French market... and/or people changed out their lenses.

Or something

M
maf914
QUOTE (maf914 @ Feb 1 2006, 12:24 PM)
I think there was a difference in the 75-76 rubber bumper cars. The American version bumpers were mounted with shock absorbers while the Euro had fixed bumpers.

I checked the Haynes manual for 75-76 rubber bumper mounting and Chapter 10 does show solid mounting for Euro and shock absorbers munting for US models. The Euro model uses the earlier rubber dog bones in the mounting assembly.
JeffBowlsby
Engines...all of them....
JeffBowlsby
European market Air Controls:

JohnM
QUOTE (type47fan @ Feb 1 2006, 05:30 PM)
Euro horn pad. . . .Thanks, YA-ROON!

I may be mistaken but if I remember correctly my '73 Karmann Giha had that horn pad, too. John
redshift
Nope, you are correct.

M
michel richard
Well, in at least one respect French cars are similar to east coast cars:

redshift
RETREAT!

laugh.gif
johannes
Oh yes , In France they put salt on roads in winter ... I the seventies you got big rust holes before your car was 6 years old.
I bought a preowned 1.7 in 1984 ... the car was from 1971 ... I wanted to restore it but there was nothing to save ... This was my first experience with a 914 and I said to myself "never again".
Last year I bought my second 914. This time I bought a car that was reimported from California ... And this one has almost no rust. smile.gif
johannes
XXX
Quilmes
QUOTE (johannes @ Feb 3 2006, 08:30 AM)
XXX

ohmy.gif AAHHHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA
sad.gif YIKESSS
screwy.gif O MAMAMIA,
La M#$%, No Porsche owner should follow that truck. Someone needs to take out a gun and shoot that nasty truck.

They should post on the back of that truck the same warning label that they use on Tobacco.
" Warning stay away, do not following this truck or you will definitely cause cancer to your 914" headbang.gif

Quilmes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.