Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who carries ATE Super Blue locally
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonwatts
Is it unreasonable to think I should be able to buy good brake fluid without it having to be shipped?

I've tried the usuals (Autozone, Pep Boys, Cook's Automotive (NAPA)). I'll call Bugformance today. But if you know of someplace I can walk in, buy two quarts and walk out it would save me some leg work.

Thanks.

KenH
If you feel like driving to Gilroy - I have 2 extra quarts you can buy.

Ken
anthony
I've heard that Valvoline Synpower is pretty darn good. Actually I'm using it in my daily driver. It specs as well as Super Blue but costs a bit less and you can find it at Kragen.

http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/Bra...0Comparison.htm

Michael N
Last time I purchased from Jerry Woods/Smart racing on Mc Glincy in Campbell.
lapuwali
Castrol LMA is good brake fluid (even Brad recommends it), and you can get it at Pep Boys.
jonwatts
Thanks for the options, that's really what I was looking for.

beer.gif
TimT
Valvoline Synpower is pretty darn good

agree.gif

And is cheaper than Ate Blue. I think there is alot of hype regarding Ate Blue and Gold, they are good fluids, but there are better fluids available for less
bd1308
what other products come in two colors for changing fluids?

b
jonwatts
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 2 2006, 08:25 AM)

b

Guiness and Budweiser
TimT

thats convenient, but if you have some old mung infested brake fluid in your system, its quite obvious when you you have flushed the old fluid.

The hydraulic system hold so little fluid you can easily exchange all with new, empty the resevior with a turkey baster or something, the fill with new fluid and flush.
Tobra
I agree, good time to replace all your brake hoses too.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Feb 1 2006, 08:06 AM)
Is it unreasonable to think I should be able to buy good brake fluid without it having to be shipped?

I've tried the usuals (Autozone, Pep Boys, Cook's Automotive (NAPA)). I'll call Bugformance today. But if you know of someplace I can walk in, buy two quarts and walk out it would save me some leg work.

Thanks.

Excuse me?! Since when are "Autozone, Pep Boys, Cook's Automotive (NAPA))" "the usuals" for the owner of ANY European car, and especially a 914? I doubt they sell more than a handful of products between all of them that are correct for your car. There MUST BE a dedicated foreign car parts store SOMEWHERE in San Jose or one of the nearby cities! The Cap'n
lapuwali
Unfortunately, this is the crying shame. Lots of those places are vanishing, and those that are there are nearly invisible. There's a British parts store in San Jose, but the only way you'll ever find the guy is to be referred by another customer, or another shop. He only advertises in the Yellow Pages, and the shop is in the middle of an industrial park with a very low key sign. The shop has been there for 25 years, and the owner regularly whines about how mail-order shops are taking away all his business. Never touches a computer, so the Web is totally foreign to him. MOSS Motors is basically taking over. I'm sure he doesn't realize that Moss is only a small fraction of the problem, and that Ebay is the real killer. He, of course, primarily blames his customers, which is entirely misplaced.

There used to be a European parts shop in Mountain View, which seems to be in the same boat, assuming they're even open anymore.

Even HPH has a web page. Not much there, but at least it shows up in a Google search so you can get directions. You'd never find the place otherwise. If Rich would ever take the (admittedly enormous) amount of time to put together even a half-assed web store (or even an Ebay storefront), he'd be able to sell off his entire stock in a few years.

Some places are getting it and fighting fire with fire. A FIAT parts place in Santa Cruz that has EVERYTHING (the HPH of FIATs, basically) has an Ebay store and are starting to sell there big time. It's the best way for them to compete with places like International Auto Parts, which has a slick website and a full online catalog (think Performance Products of FIAT/Alfa land).

I use PepBoys, etc., for generics like oil, brake fluid, bulbs, etc. I use PP for many parts, since I like online ordering. I use HPH only for things I can't get at PP or must have on very short notice and can take the time to make the special trip to go get it. If he could take orders online, I'd probably use HPH a lot more often. As it is, I don't want to burn a lunch hour getting something, a rarely have a car at work anyway (train commute), it's 20min from work, there's little to no parking, etc., etc. I can just sit at my desk at work, bring up the PP page, order the parts, and they're at my doorstep a few days later. Hard to beat. PepBoys, et al, are open on Sundays and late enough I can get there after work. HPH is only open when I'm at work.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.